Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How's The Weather from Nashua to Manchester to Exeter? (was "Dover to Keene")  (Read 5952 times)

DRFlox26

Please provide any recollections, insights or links to sources that I can research online describing the weather throughout the year in southern New Hampshire in my current apartment search area from Nashua to Manchester to Durham. How hot does it usually get during the summer? More importantly, how cold will it likely be during the daytime in spring, fall, and winter when I'll be out and about? How slippery will paved roads and sidewalks be in spring, fall and winter for a 62-year old who doesn't need any more health issues such as a slip and fall?  :( (I'm not that delicate though...I've lived in Denver 30 years without a similar mishap, but I worry because I'm not a teenager anymore and I heal slowly now).  How much snow is likely to be on the ground, from what month in fall to what month in spring? Does the snow melt off in a few days like it often does in Denver? During what months could I expect to be able to use an outdoor swimming pool for daily exercise? a heated outdoor swimming pool? I have booked a flight to Boston Friday evening April 27, will stay with a long-lost friend in
Andover MA and plan to check out NH towns and apartment complexes with swimming pools until Wednesday May 2 to get a feel for housing in preparation for attending PorcFest 2012 in June. Thank you in advance. Live Long and Happy :)

time4liberty

Please provide any recollections, insights or links to sources that I can research online describing the weather throughout the year in southern New Hampshire in my current apartment search area from Nashua to Manchester to Durham. How hot does it usually get during the summer? More importantly, how cold will it likely be during the daytime in spring, fall, and winter when I'll be out and about?

Here's a plot of the average daytime highs in Nashua, by month: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/03062

You can search for other towns too. It'll be slightly cooler the farther west and north you go, and slightly warmer as you head south and east.

How slippery will paved roads and sidewalks be in spring, fall and winter for a 62-year old who doesn't need any more health issues such as a slip and fall?  :( (I'm not that delicate though...I've lived in Denver 30 years without a similar mishap, but I worry because I'm not a teenager anymore and I heal slowly now).

I've found the roads are usually cleared very quickly, and very well, around where I am. I haven't paid close enough attention to the sidewalks to say one way or another, for sure. It probably depends somewhat on where you are.

How much snow is likely to be on the ground, from what month in fall to what month in spring?

This winter has been abnormal, but I would say snow is generally on the ground fairly consistently from mid December through late March. This varies, of course.

Does the snow melt off in a few days like it often does in Denver?

No, during the winter it usually sticks.

During what months could I expect to be able to use an outdoor swimming pool for daily exercise? a heated outdoor swimming pool?

I guess it depends on your personal fortitude/thermostat ;). Take a look at the chart of daytime temperatures, and see what you'd be comfortable with.

There are lots of gyms around with indoor pools, so you can swim in the winter too.

I have booked a flight to Boston Friday evening April 27, will stay with a long-lost friend in Andover MA and plan to check out NH towns and apartment complexes with swimming pools until Wednesday May 2 to get a feel for housing in preparation for attending PorcFest 2012 in June. Thank you in advance. Live Long and Happy :)

Welcome!

Here's one option, where at least two FSP couples currently live:

They have an outdoor pool, and the big advantage is that they are month to month - so you're not tied down to a lease or anything: http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000053702.php

Another, just down the street, with much better amenities, but requiring a lease: http://www.royalcrestnashua.com/

FrugalFannie

anon37268573

• First1000

How slippery will paved roads and sidewalks be in spring, fall and winter for a 62-year old who doesn't need any more health issues such as a slip and fall?  :( (I'm not that delicate though...I've lived in Denver 30 years without a similar mishap, but I worry because I'm not a teenager anymore and I heal slowly now).  How much snow is likely to be on the ground, from what month in fall to what month in spring? Does the snow melt off in a few days like it often does in Denver? During what months could I expect to be able to use an outdoor swimming pool for daily exercise? a heated outdoor swimming pool? I have booked a flight to Boston Friday evening April 27, will stay with a long-lost friend in
Andover MA and plan to check out NH towns and apartment complexes with swimming pools until Wednesday May 2 to get a feel for housing in preparation for attending PorcFest 2012 in June. Thank you in advance. Live Long and Happy :)

I've never slipped and fallen in New Hampshire. New Hampshire seems to have better cleared side walks in my experience. Perhaps, because there is less abandoned property.  The homes are more residential than city like as well. When I lived in Boston I slipped on a sidewalk and tore up my right knee tendons bad. The houses are so close to the sidewalks that melt run off from the roofs would wash across the sidewalks and freeze clear. I was walking down a steep hill and stepped on some run off freeze with out realizing it and fell hard. (*ouch*) Kinda my fault for not really paying attention where I was walking, though.

This is the only apartment complex I know of with an indoor pool:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/New-Hampshire/Derry/The-Fairways/6510/

I'm not sure if it's heated or not.  I assume so.  But, you'd need to call them to check.

Like I was saying Derry is one of my favorite towns. That apartment complex is off of Rte. 28.  The ride up Rte. 28 from Windham to Manchester is very nice. Some times, I'll go drive it and a circle around Massabesic Lake (near the Rte. 28 and Rte. 101 intersection) just to relax a bit.  It's a beautiful area.

anon37268573

• First1000

Yeah, it's heated.  Here's their website:

http://www.fairways-apts.com/

freedomroad

Salem and the near-by area is noticeably warmer than Chicago, IL.  Heck, the Concord/Tilton/Laconia area is about like Chicago.  The Chicago ares is the 3rd largest metro area in the US.  Salem, NH is part of the Boston metro area.  The Boston metro has around 5 million people.  So think of Boston weather wise when you think of Salem, NH.  Salem is about 30 minutes (with very low traffic) north of the city of Boston.  As the previous posters pointed out, there are plenty of websites with data.

I know around 2 dozen people that moved to NH from FL, TX, AZ or CA.  They are all doing fine in NH, even in the winter.  I used to live in TN and I noticed that people spend a lot more time outside in the winter in NH than they do in TN.  People tend to stay inside in TN in the winter.  People often ski, snowboard, tube, sled, dog race, snowmobile, snowshoe, ice fish, play hockey and ice skate in NH in the winter.  Heck, there is even ice climbing (it's like climbing on waterfalls that are frozen solid) in a few northern, high elevation parts of NH.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 05:51:19 pm by LoveAndPeace »

ny2nh

It can break 100 in late July or August - which is also the more humid time of the year....although nothing like NYC or Chicago as far as humidity. 80's and 90's are really the high temp thru most of July and August.

Snow can start in late October and stay well into April.....but that would be a LONG winter. Last Halloween we had a big snow storm....which eventually melted and we barely had any snow the rest of winter. I would say mid to late December to sometime in March is the general "normal" range for snow. Here it is April 3 and we've already had really warm days...will maybe hit 60 today in Manchester. Temps in the winter can fall below 0 and with the wind chill can feel much colder. Teens and 20's are quite "normal" for winter months. Snow can and often does accumulate quite a bit. Some winters the snow banks are 4-5" high in front of my house and finding someplace to throw the snow becomes a challenge.

I have an above ground pool. I try to have it open for Memorial Day - just in case we have a spike in temperatures...but the water stays pretty chilly until late June. I have rarely ever swim past Labor Day and usually by then the water is again quite chilly.

All in all, I wouldn't say we have any "extreme" weather conditions. It gets hot in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter....and really comfortable in the spring and fall.

DRFlox26

Thank you to those who have provided me with replies full of good ideas for me to explore. I'll be visiting NH from Denver twice this summer, once to attend the week of PorcFest 2012 and once before that to check out southern NH towns and residential options. Thank you also FSP for providing this truly wonderful online forum. I'll keep checking here for any new suggestion postings. Live Long and Happy!  :)

DRFlox26

Thank you Free Staters for your warm welcome to New Hampshire during my recent 3 week visit to NH including the KAC and Porcfest 2012. I plan to move to the Peterborough area from Denver this Fall. I just signed to become a Participant by agreeing to the Statement of Intent and committing to move to New Hampshire. 

Live Long and Happy  ;)

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast

Thanks for signing! I'm sure the folks in that area will be very welcoming, and perhaps I'll see you at some time or another. I've also lived in Colorado for a couple of years but now live in New Hampshire, in Rochester, considered part of the (northern) Seacoast although it technically only borders Maine.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

time4liberty

Peterborough's got an outstanding acting troupe -- perhaps the best in the state.

http://peterboroughplayers.org/

The downtown is nice, and walkable, and there's a good irish pub.

And that's pretty much all I know about Peterborough ;).

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook

Weather is pretty consistant in most of southern NH.

I'd add, as an additional point of information, that parking in Manchester is a burden during the winter. Unless you have your own dedicated, off-street parking, it can be annoying. During the winter there is a policy to alternate parking on the street (even days park on the even side). During snow emergencies, there's no street parking at all.

This is far, far, far more annoying to me than the condition of the roads or sidewalks. You get used to winter after a few days. You really don't get used to that 1:30am "CRAP, I parked on the wrong side!".

time4liberty

Weather is pretty consistant in most of southern NH.

I'd add, as an additional point of information, that parking in Manchester is a burden during the winter. Unless you have your own dedicated, off-street parking, it can be annoying. During the winter there is a policy to alternate parking on the street (even days park on the even side). During snow emergencies, there's no street parking at all.

This is far, far, far more annoying to me than the condition of the roads or sidewalks. You get used to winter after a few days. You really don't get used to that 1:30am "CRAP, I parked on the wrong side!".

Another great reason to live in the country!
Pages: [1]   Go Up