Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: $1.00 per transaction fee for pawn shops and game store in Manchester nh  (Read 8224 times)

darkfleet

The revised ordinance would require the pawn shops or other resellers to digitally input the information into a web-based program, with photos of both seller and item, and file the information within 24 hours. Items could not be sold for 30 days and gold items could not be cut, to determine value, nor could stones be popped out during the holding period.

The revised ordinance would also require the shops to pay the city $1 per transaction to cover the cost of the database, Patti said.

My wife and I own a small store off elm street that sells used video games(older ones from Atari 2600 and Nintendo) this fee could cost upwards to 9k a year at 25 pawns a day. I am starting a petition against the transaction fee as it would kill small shops like mine and deter any new ones from coming in. Why if they need something like this for the city would they charge us as we are the ones who recover stolen property for them in the 1st place. This means even more loss of jobs and invasion of privacy. Is there anyone that can help as they meet to finalize it on Monday at city hall. If you can help or sign the petition please call us at 603-836-5633 we open at noon today and tomorrow.  Thanks!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

My wife and I own a small store off elm street that sells used video games(older ones from Atari 2600 and Nintendo) this fee could cost upwards to 9k a year at 25 pawns a day. I am starting a petition against the transaction fee as it would kill small shops like mine and deter any new ones from coming in. Why if they need something like this for the city would they charge us as we are the ones who recover stolen property for them in the 1st place. This means even more loss of jobs and invasion of privacy. Is there anyone that can help as they meet to finalize it on Monday at city hall. If you can help or sign the petition please call us at 603-836-5633 we open at noon today and tomorrow.  Thanks!

I'm presuming that you also end up losing money when stolen property is identified and returned to its rightful owner, since the thief who pawned it isn't likely to show up and return the money you paid them, so this would be a double-hit for you guys, right?

While, in theory, the idea of a database to help victims of theft recover their property sounds like a good idea, this particular implementation sounds like it's poorly-thought-out.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

darkfleet

Right in a way we are recovering stolen property for them then getting punished by helping them:/ I have a feeling for some of the smaller shops in Manchester that private buying for their stores will go up and not as much buying in their shops itself. This is forcing people to find other ways to get product to sell. I think the fee will cause stolen goods to disappear into the ebay, amazon and CL world. Instead of being recovered.

time4liberty

We started a online petition. please share with as many people as you can.. http://www.change.org/petitions/city-of-manchester-nh-against-the-proposed-transaction-fee-by-the-city-of-manchester#  thanks

The link didn't work for me.

Do the pro-liberty aldermen know about this? I don't live in manch, so I don't know -- but Phil's one right -- he'd surely be on your side. Maybe we can coordinate with him.

This ordinance sounds horrible to me by the way.

darkfleet

Please if you cant make it to the store please sign our online petition. Thanks for the support!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/levelupgaming/  the change.com one does not work for what ever reason. and no it doesn't matter if you live in Manchester cause the more these are approved  the more it will happen everywhere.

time4liberty

and no it doesn't matter if you live in Manchester cause the more these are approved  the more it will happen everywhere.

Oh, I completely agree. We need to stand together on these kinds of things. I signed the petition, and am talking to people who can hopefully help stop this.

I understand the motivation to catch theives, but this seems like a vast overstep, and invasion of privacy. To demand that everyone who buys and sells be documented in a city database, at their expense, is wrong, and certainly anti-liberty.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:48:38 am by time4liberty »

time4liberty

I talked to Phil -- there will be a public hearing at City Hall on Tuesday, at 7:00. Everyone opposed to this ordinance should come, and voice their opposition.

ny2nh

Every BMA meeting has a public session at 7:00 - prior to the actual BMA meeting. It is not a public hearing on this in particular but an opportunity for residents to voice concerns. Be prepared to give your name and address prior to speaking.....and you only have 3 minutes.

Tammy

darkfleet

You know as a small business owner we have to pay for our own health care and retirements. We hire people so they can do the same. Why are they making it so hard and costly when america needs to be fostering small business. I need repairs done on my shop and have been saving to do them by the end of the year.. I just don't know if I will be able to do them now.  I am sick and tired of this(literally) I saw a need in my community and opened the store not threw a loan but my own savings from my job. It took two years to be able to hire someone and put my wife on full time. I stared work at 6am and stayed up till 2am everyday for a whole year to make this work(7days a week) running the store and doing research. Just when I thought I could relax a little this thing shows up. Mark my words it wont stop at this. When the upkeep goes up so wont the fees and it will spread(cause they the PDs want all of NH to be on this national data base) little at a time till our store and many like it are gone forever. Its a sad time for me when people turn on there own community. I wont even be able to run our free tournaments on Fridays anymore which draws in kids from the surrounding and gives them something to do. www.levelupnh.com to see what we do and who we are.  All this does is ensure we will have stunted growth while billion dollar stores like ours remain unaffected.

freedomroad

I am sorry about this great inconvenience in time for you and extra cost for you or/and your customers.  I have bought something from your store before (a SNES controller.)  Unfortunately, as I live 100 minutes away and not in Manchester, I do not feel comfortable testifying at the hearing.

TJames

I wonder if they want to make private transactions like yard sales illegal.

Wouldn't it be simple enough to ask to see an ID of everyone who trades with you along with a catalog number of the items they bought? No government mandate is needed to make that policy and it would be much cheaper.

freedomroad

I wonder if they want to make private transactions like yard sales illegal.

This rule seems like it is written to deal to reduce stolen goods so I would say, no.

Wouldn't it be simple enough to ask to see an ID of everyone who trades with you along with a catalog number of the items they bought? No government mandate is needed to make that policy and it would be much cheaper.

Catalog number of the items bought?  I have no idea what that means.  It seems though, that a government mandate would be needed to make that policy, whatever you mean.  Otherwise, how would it become policy?  I guess the government could tell all of the possibly included stores in Manchester that if they didn't change to that policy that they would be forced to change to it.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant

Posted bulletin about your situation here and about 8 other places.

http://ridleyreport.com/blog/2012/mar/manch_businesses_prepare_fight_orwellian_sounding_ordinance

http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it

TheMagicBullet

That really sucks! I signed the petition and spread the word on FB for you about the city hall meeting.

ny2nh

Just another intolerant rule made up by someone who is encouraged to think up new rules as part of their day job (Aldermen) and order the police to arrogantly foist them upon the public. Of course, all proposed new rules sound good to those making them. It's the invisible people that end up being hit and wounded by the almost always existing aftereffects.

This is incredibly ignorant.

Really.

1. For Aldermen - "this" is NOT their day job. And no, it is not their "job" to sit around and think up new rules. And, no, all new rulles do not soudn good to all of them.

Ignorant.

Really.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything