Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Call to Action  (Read 9522 times)

Sweet_Marmot

Call to Action
« on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:51 pm »

I am new to this forum, but I am certainly glad that I found FSP! I am a high school English teacher, and my fiance is a high school math teacher. We are looking forward to starting our family soon, and with that we are strongly considering moving to New Hampshire. Before I can commit (in good faith) I really wanted to start a dialogue with all of you on this site. Hopefully you can answer some of my questions and address some of my concerns.

First and foremost, I am extremely pleased with the amount of personal freedom that is available in NH. So much in fact, that I would move my family across the country just to be involved with the freedom movement. While we can all agree that NH is NOT perfect, it is much better than most. The one area that I am most concerned with, however, is education. It seems to me that NH is actually really far behind many other states in regards to compulsory government schooling. What actions are currently being taken to address this problem?

It is certainly great that NH citizens can open carry and ride motor cycles without helmets. These are great liberties, but until the government is out of the classroom, none of it matters. One only need read John Taylor Gatto or Neil Postman to see what I mean. Education should be the first thing that is addressed by FSP. Everything else (guns, war, drugs, etc.) are irrelevant if there is not an educated population that is capable of maintaining (and fighting for more) liberty.

I see first hand every day how students are being indoctrinated. Many of these students are incapable of questioning authority and the government. Many are incapable of creativity and invention. They are taught how to pass standardized tests. In my home state of Kansas, I am calling for families and local communities to take their sons and daughters back. Raise these young people the way that they used to be raised. Raise them the way they were raised in our country's beginning. Men like Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams were not products of any high school. My cries are falling on deaf ears. Would this be the case in New Hampshire?

From what I understand, home schooling in NH is heavily regulated. Starting a private school is said to be next to impossible (at least one that is free of the government's meddling). What needs to be done to change this? And where do I sign up to help? My family will be on the move over just as soon as there is a real plan in place.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
Re: Call to Action
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 12:18:28 am »

For the latest happenings about NH schools in the state legislature check out http://forum.nhliberty.org/

TJames

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 02:09:08 pm »

Freestaters talk a lot about education, and as we know talk among Freestaters is soon action.

Also Maine and Vermont are homeschool friendly. These states have influence on each other.

Sweet_Marmot

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 03:19:09 pm »

Thanks for the comments! I am really really excited about the Free State Project! I cannot wait to make the move (hopefully sooner rather than later). Just need to get the future wifey on board with it...

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:00:33 am »

From what I understand, home schooling in NH is heavily regulated.

Depends upon your definition of "heavily," but it's certainly not the best.

However, the current "momentum" seems to be heading in the right direction.

Starting a private school is said to be next to impossible (at least one that is free of the government's meddling).

Is it?  A few folks have done so, here.  I haven't heard that it was particularly-onerous.
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything