Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you believe people must be formally educated to be valuable to employers and/or society?

Yes
- 1 (7.7%)
No
- 12 (92.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Formal Education (Poll)  (Read 8188 times)

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
Formal Education (Poll)
« on: September 30, 2011, 06:21:02 pm »

Do you feel a formal education is out of budget for some people and/or families?

Should education be affordable for everyone?

Should tuition be based on income?

What is your opinion on the price of text books and other school supplies?

What is your opinion on tuition costs?  

Do you feel tuition costs prevents some people from pursuing a degree?

Do you feel people can be educated outside of a formal education by doing things like reading books at their home, public library, or hands on experience?

Do you feel a person's value and pay rate should be based on how many degrees, certificates, etc. a person holds?

Do you feel a person with a degree earned through formal education is more valuable to society and/or employers than a person with little or no formal education?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:23:53 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: Formal Education (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 06:54:30 pm »

Do you feel a formal education is out of budget for some people and/or families?
Clearly, yes

Should automobiles be affordable for everyone? They pretty much are, but only because the semi-free market allows the quality to vary widely.

Should automobile prices be based on income?
I'm sure there might be charities somewhere that will give you a car based on your ability to pay...

Some are well-priced and high value -- I buy them for my kids off Amazon or over at Imagination Village in Concord.
Some are ridiculously high-priced and questionable value -- like some of the textbooks I bought at college, written by the prof.

Of course.

Do you feel people can be educated outside of a formal education by doing things like reading books at their home, public library, or hands on experience?
Of course, though to some degree it depends on the field of study. I know very few people who are likely to study chemical kinetics on their own, with enough diligence that I'd trust them to design a chemical rector.

Do you feel a person's value and pay rate should be based on how many degrees, certificates, etc. a person holds?
No, the value of a person's work depends completely and only on the perceived value of that work to those who wish to purchase it.

Do you feel a person with a degree earned through formal education is more valuable to society and/or employers than a person with little or no formal education?
Depends widely on the subject matter.
Many subjects can be learned at least as well on an informal or individual basis as in a formal setting.
As an example, I hire software engineers. I find that people who teach themselves programming are generally superior to those who learn to program at a University.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: Formal Education (Poll)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:32:33 pm »

Yes
Yes, in the sense that in a free society, opportunity and prosperity will flourish, and voluntary charity will take care of those who need some extra help.
Not necessarily, that would be up to the educational provider.
Historically,high prices and low quality. But the trend is changing for the better; just in the last five years or so, an amazing amount of material has been posted for FREE online, by institutions as prestigious as MIT and as innovative as Khan Academy. The rest of higher education will be forced to catch up.
What is your opinion on tuition costs?  
I'd consider most college tuition costs right now to be too high. Government subsidized student loans are a major factor in this.
To some degree. On the other hand, due to subsidized student loans and prevalent credentialism, many pursue degrees that otherwise might not make sense.
Absolutely! In my personal experience, those methods are the best way to learn.
No. Interestingly, I was just pondering this today, in the context of helping a client find a proficient web developer. My conclusion was that a degree does not matter, although sometimes it's a good indication of someone's ambition and commitment to the profession.
See above.

One of the really cool things about being part of the Free State Project and living in NH is that people here don't just talk, they do something about it. In that vein, a couple of guys founded the Informal University, which addresses a lot of the issues you raised. Check it out!  :)
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything