Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Focus  (Read 1896 times)

100c

New Focus
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:37:32 am »

After spending several years attempting to keep the local libertarian party alive, I've come to the conclusion that the only hope is a free state, free county or free city. There are too many government-conditioned people, keeping the current system alive, and guarding it. Anyway, preaching to the choir I guess. My new focus will be about establishing a free society and why not the FSP. New Hampshire looks like a beautiful place to live, and everyone on this forum seems awesome.

After reading all the old press releases on the site, I'm just a little concerned because of how the media was trying to portray you, like some hippie colony. Is there any truth to that? Porcfest from what I've read, seems like Woodstock from the 60's. I'm just a little concerned because I really don't want to join a hippie colony.

The media, while trying to appear friendly to you, will in reality try to make you look like a group of people that are crazy or that people would not want to join. They always marginalize groups that are not the average brainwashed citizen.

From what I read on the forums, everyone seems perfectly agreeable. BTW, I'm not opposed to hippies. My father was one. I just kind of like civilization and technology. Give my wife and I a good hotel room over a tent.

No offense intended.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: New Focus
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:41:03 am »

I'm sure there are a few hippies, but the majority of folks who've moved live normal lives, in normal houses, and are spread out all over NH, not just in a "colony" somewhere.

One of the reasons that PorcFest is at the site that it is, is because Roger's has an attached motel, and there are those who refuse to spend a week (or even a day) camping.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »

Can anyone give him a link to pictures from this year's Porcfest? Then he can see for himself that there are a lot of non-hippies going.

My own Porcfest pictures (from 2010 - I was stuck in Utah this year) are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/freedomrambler/

Believe it or not, I still haven't uploaded them all, and you'll see that a lot of them are of the scenery, and signs, rather than people, but you'll see some people shots in there.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:18:35 pm »

The media, while trying to appear friendly to you, will in reality try to make you look like a group of people that are crazy or that people would not want to join.
Some of the FSPers do an awfully good job of that themselves, without any media help. Indeed, some of them are happy to "be the media", and broadcast their antics far and wide. Those antics are often powerfully emotional and meaningful to the already-converted... and equally crazy-looking and alien to the typical "man on the street."

P.S. You shoulda seen me in college. Ponytail down to my ass. Homemade tye-dies. But I know looking like that os not going to make my opinions well-respected by people who don't otherwise know me. So nowadays you see me in a suit. And you see people taking seriously the libertarian ideas I offer.

100c

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:43:46 pm »

Thanks for the pictures. I'm reassured and knew the media had an unfavorable spin.

I'm not surprised there are people who are making the movement look marginal, but there's always going to be a certain percentage of people to do that. I wonder if any of them are planted by big brother? Probably not many if any, but if it begins to be more successful, I would not be surprised.

libertango

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 08:12:56 am »

Check out freekeene.com if you haven't already.  They have pretty regular news coming from that area of the state, and there's even a TV station that airs once a week.  Also look at Dave Ridley's ridleos and Talley.TV  The great thing about Porcfest is there are very few rules, so people get together to do things that are mutually interesting.  I run a food stand since I love to cook, and having people come to talk with you all day is awesome.  Make this the place you want it to be by putting your views out there, and encouraging other people to get interested in them, or by bringing in new people who share those interests.

-Libertango

time4liberty

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:33:33 am »

Check out www.nhliberty.org -- a great organization working for more liberty on the state government level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up