Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob from Louisiana  (Read 9208 times)

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: Noob from Louisiana
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2011, 06:16:16 pm »

Whereas Goddard is actually an admitted troll.  And, if you go through his recent posts, you'll note that he does pretty much nothing but trolling and spamming.

Folks not familiar with our mutual history have probably learned by now that there is no love lost between myself an Joe aka "MaineShark"

One difference between us is that Joe does really great posts on the interwebs. I actually advance liberty in the real world.

As Joe says, it takes all kinds....  :-*

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

Another great post, MaineShark. I should buy you a beer sometime.

Thanks.  I might take you up on that if you switch it to bourbon... :)

I know when to admit someone is right over me... You are right on most everything, but by the DoD i mean actual Defense... not our Department of Imperialism... what we currently do is not minarchist.

Well, we're talking about what is currently done... but even so, there's no call for a Federal defense force.  Militias would handle defense just fine.  All a standing army is good for, is imperialism.

One difference between us is that Joe does really great posts on the interwebs. I actually advance liberty in the real world.

That's funny, since I've been working for liberty in NH, since before the FSP was even a pipe dream on an email list.  Where were you?  So far, I've seen nothing from you that "advanced" liberty.  Certainly not compared to how much you've done to set things back.  You almost single-handedly managed to get the legislature to look at banning guns in the State House, with your shenanigans.

There are plenty of folks doing actual work for liberty.  There are plenty of folks I dislike, personally, but who are still doing actual work for liberty, and they get the credit they deserve for that, regardless of what I might feel about their personal behavior.  But you fail on both counts.  You spend your time trolling and engaging in other offensive behavior, including intentionally trying to throw sand in the gears of the liberty movement, actively trying to create dissension and break down cooperation, and you don't do anything worthwhile to even make up for it.

Those who think this is a game might be impressed by how you play.  Those who don't think this is a game, have no use for those who do.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

MS Libertarian

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 03:01:10 pm »

Who would handle the things a militia couldn't (atleast idk how they could). Like nukes.
Only Jedis should use the force!

The Second Amendment is my gun permit.

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2011, 01:32:08 am »

Bourbon it is, Joe. Next time you're in Portsmouth.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2011, 08:05:32 am »

Who would handle the things a militia couldn't (atleast idk how they could). Like nukes.

What couldn't the militia handle, and why?

May be a while, given that Portsmouth is a couple hours away.  But I have family in coastal Maine (hence the name), so I do head over that way on occasion.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

MS Libertarian

• FSP Participant
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 11:12:06 am »

May be a while, given that Portsmouth is a couple hours away.  But I have family in coastal Maine (hence the name), so I do head over that way on occasion.

Joe
I said nukes.  I would think that a militia with nukes would need some big money to support such a thing, as they are expensive.  I would love to know if they could theoretically handle it as I support militias over standing armies.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2011, 11:29:44 am »

I said nukes.  I would think that a militia with nukes would need some big money to support such a thing, as they are expensive.  I would love to know if they could theoretically handle it as I support militias over standing armies.

If they can afford them, then they can afford them.  If they cannot, then they cannot.  They're not overwhelmingly useful, except the small, tactical devices.  And, in that size range, thermobaric weapons are less expensive and more useful, due to the lack of radioactive fallout.

If I were going to spend for nukes, I'd probably opt to spend for kinetic orbital weapons, instead.  No fallout, and much less temperamental.

Joe

time4liberty

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 11:30:32 am »

Joe

Personally, I wouldn't help finance a militia holding nukes, because I believe they hold no valid defensive purpose.

MS Libertarian

• FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 12:14:45 pm »

Joe

Personally, I wouldn't help finance a militia holding nukes, because I believe they hold no valid defensive purpose.
It is supposed to be a deterent from nukes being fired at you.

time4liberty

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 12:26:27 pm »

Joe

But that only works if you're willing to blow up a whole lot of innocent people in retaliation. I wouldn't support that. Now, some sort of missile defense, or tactical strike capability, perhaps could be useful for defense.

Personally, I think if we mind our own business and just defend our communities, the risk of some sort of international strike is minimal. Who would it benefit? There are lots of out-of-the-way countries around the world that don't have nukes, or missile defense, and they're just fine.

But, if enough other people are worried about these sorts of issues, I'm sure they'll manage to organize whatever sort of defense they think is appropriate.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 06:57:34 pm »

A standing army/navy was developed because the colonist saw the failure of militia to be able to hold annexed territory.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 07:07:39 pm »

A standing army/navy was developed because the colonist saw the failure of militia to be able to hold annexed territory.

"The colonists" did not develop a standing army.  They hated the idea, and banned or severely restricted them.  Armies were only to be raised (from the militia) when needed for defensive war.

Joe

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 12:44:19 pm »

Joe

But that only works if you're willing to blow up a whole lot of innocent people in retaliation. I wouldn't support that. Now, some sort of missile defense, or tactical strike capability, perhaps could be useful for defense.

Personally, I think if we mind our own business and just defend our communities, the risk of some sort of international strike is minimal. Who would it benefit? There are lots of out-of-the-way countries around the world that don't have nukes, or missile defense, and they're just fine.

But, if enough other people are worried about these sorts of issues, I'm sure they'll manage to organize whatever sort of defense they think is appropriate.

Those countries that are "just fine" are not really sovereign. You can never have sovereignty when another government holds such overwhelming force against you. That's among the reasons the US can shove its drug war down the throats of foreign states.

Uncle Walt

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 01:03:27 pm »

I read a theory about how militias could counter ICBMs.  Don't know if the physics of it actually pencil out, though.

Allegedly, a militia using WW1 "Big Bertha" tech could have artillery to fire rounds that release thousands of pellets into the path of incoming ICBMs.  The kinetic energy of the collisions would (again, allegedly) destroy the ICBM.  And any pellets that re-entered the atmosphere would be too small to cause damage.

A high-tech defense would be lasers.  (which could also be used for pin-point retaliation)

A low-tech retaliation would be suicide teams utilized against the (enemy) government officials who ordered a nuclear strike.  Or declared war.  Personally, I prefer this method of retaliation over MAD.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 03:58:03 pm »

Not sure that 'Bertha' would do much good against an atmospheric detonation.
And a 17 year old math student proved lasers to be useless long ago. Simply coat them with a shine and make them spin.
Suicide teams are pretty much a waste once not much of anything is left.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

anything