Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob from Louisiana  (Read 9476 times)

-David

Noob from Louisiana
« on: August 21, 2011, 02:57:11 pm »

Hi everybody.  I've been following the FSP for a few months now, I first read about it from somebody leaving a comment about an article on dailypaul.com.  I'm a freedom loving patriot who doesn't like the direction our country is heading.

I'm an Air Force veteran and I do contract IT work for the federal government.  I currently live in southeast Louisiana and I've been down here since after Hurricane Katrina - I guess about 5 or 6 years now.  I'm originally from NY but lived in the DC area for a long time.

My job has evolved into something I can do from home, so I'm looking for a great place to live that meshes with my values and where my family & I can be around like-minded folks.  Louisiana almost fits the bill, but damn it's hot down here.   :)

We've got a bunch of land and we raise dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, and other critters.  We also do a lot of vegetable gardening and try to be as self-sufficient as we can.  My wife and I have five kids - ages 10, 8, 5, 4 and 1 - that we home school.

I think initially I'm looking for place on some acreage that we can make our own and start spending some time at during the summer. 

I guess that's about it - just wanted to let you know a little about me and what I'm looking for. 

-David

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
Re: Noob from Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:33:32 pm »

Welcome to the forum! It's always nice to see some new blood. Have you signed the Statement of Intent, planning to move to NH, or are you just trying to find out more about the Project to decide whether to move to NH?

I'm glad people are posting about the FSP on Ron Paul websites - I need to do more of that, but I've been focusing on getting ready for my Liberty Caravan, which I am organizing to coincide with my move from Utah to New Hampshire, which I will be doing in the next month.

It sounds like you definitely want to move away from Louisiana, but you're not sure where to go. Have you read the 101 reasons to move to New Hampshire? Link here: http://freestateproject.org/101Reasons

If you're looking for land in New Hampshire, maybe one of the FSP realtors will come on here. In the meantime, you can look at real estate listings on NNEREN.com (Northern New England Real Estate something - network maybe).

Again, welcome to the forum! Let us know if we can help you with anything.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

-David

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:32:52 pm »

I haven't signed the statement of intent yet.  I take this seriously and I'll commit when/if I make the decision.  I'm just checking things out right now and looking at maybe making the porcfest next year - I'm thinking about touring the state in the spring anyway, so it might be a good time to do both.

My wife and I have both been reading over the FSP website front to back.  Lots of good info on there and also this forum - we're really impressed with the state of the state.  I'm still looking at the home school laws because believe it or not, they are more restrictive then Louisiana.  Do any home school folks on here want to give me the real scoop?

Thanks for real estate link, I'll check it out.   So far I've been using realtor.com and some local real estate websites to search for property in the country outside of both Manchester and Portsmouth.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:21:56 pm »

Check out this website: http://mercatus.org/freedom-50-states-2011, where they rank all of the states on freedom issues based on their laws in 2009.

There are many ways that there is more freedom in NH compared to LA, but it looks like homeschooling is not one of them. However, the big picture is that there is a movement in NH of people working actively to bring about a free society, with a lot of people taking part in different ways, and there are still fewer than 1000 early movers. The political activists have been very involved on the homeschooling issue, see the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance website, nhla.org, for details. They have blocked some bills that would have made it worse, I can't remember if there has been any improvement in the home schooling laws.

By the way, I don't know if there are any other states where a political pro-liberty group reads every single bill brought up in the state legislature, and publishes and distributes weekly recommendations to the politicians on the most important bills affecting liberty. Homeschooling laws are definitely being targeted by the pro-liberty people who have already been elected to the legislature. As we get more movers the likelihood of success will just increase.

Maybe someone from NHLA who knows more details will reply as well, but the forum seems to be fairly dead this weekend.

Another homeschooling plus - there is a private scholarship fund that gives scholarships to families doing homeschooling, as of yet they don't have a lot of funding but hopefully it will grow.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:20:47 pm »

Homeschooling is more restrictive in NH than in many other places.

However, unlike most other places, we actually have a good chance of changing that, here.

The big reason for choosing NH was not that it's already free, but that there's the best chance of making meaningful change, here.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »

Welcome to the forum. Y'all come join us in the Free State, where "Liberty in Our Lifetime" is more than just a motto.
1. I can help you find tillable land here suitable for gardens, goats, and chickens.
2. The link the NH Liberty Alliance is www.nhliberty.org, not the other one.

The FSP is our last, best chance at downsizing government. Success here will spread like a liberty contagion to (some) other states. But if we don't concentrate here to make it a reality, it will never take hold.

Mark
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

10stateswithnh

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:03:47 pm »

2. The link the NH Liberty Alliance is www.nhliberty.org, not the other one.

Sorry about that.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:23:35 am »

David,

Glad you're taking a closer look at the FSP. I went to school in New Orleans and can attest that New Hampshire is a much more peaceful environment than SE Louisiana.

As long as you can bear the winters, you'll be happy you moved. It's a great feeling to be surrounded by such enlightened people.

You should strongly consider giving up that federal contracting work, though. Folks don't take too kindly to working for the empire 'round here.

Cheers,
Mike

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 06:07:19 am »

I first read about it from somebody leaving a comment about an article on dailypaul.com
awesome

I think initially I'm looking for place on some acreage that we can make our own and start spending some time at during the summer. 
You might want to check with this guy. I know him IRL and he's very, very awesome
http://porcupinerealtor.com/

Jacobus

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 10:16:36 am »

Hi David,

I am glad to see you homeschool.  My family moved to New Hampshire last year and are also homeschooling.  Our older boy is entering his "first grade" year.  We sent a letter to the local superintendant stating our intention to homeschool, and we received notification that the letter was received.  I believe the other requirement imposed upon us is that we have an annual evaluation performed in the Spring, which can be done by a sponsor of our own choosing.

It would be nicer to do this without either the notification or evaluation requirements.  Come help us remove them :-)

Jacob

MS Libertarian

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 07:14:07 am »

David,

Glad you're taking a closer look at the FSP. I went to school in New Orleans and can attest that New Hampshire is a much more peaceful environment than SE Louisiana.

As long as you can bear the winters, you'll be happy you moved. It's a great feeling to be surrounded by such enlightened people.

You should strongly consider giving up that federal contracting work, though. Folks don't take too kindly to working for the empire 'round here.

Cheers,
Mike
Its like Star Wars round here.
Only Jedis should use the force!

The Second Amendment is my gun permit.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:56:13 am »

Folks don't take too kindly to working for the empire 'round here.
David, I'd advise ignore people who take this attitude with you.

Porcsmouth

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18:38 am »

Denis, exactly what kind of attitude should we take to someone who is working for an organization that enslaves, tortures, and kills?

I didn't say David was evil. Clearly his heart is in the right place or he wouldn't be inquiring about the FSP. I said he should stop doing business with evil people.

If you found out David's company trafficked sex slaves or some other grossly anti-social behavior, would you still encourage him to move before that was addressed? OK, well the US government does really ugly, despicable things and he works for them. Not cool.

1212jtraceur

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:26:49 am »

Denis, exactly what kind of attitude should we take to someone who is working for an organization that enslaves, tortures, and kills?

I didn't say David was evil. Clearly his heart is in the right place or he wouldn't be inquiring about the FSP. I said he should stop doing business with evil people.

If you found out David's company trafficked sex slaves or some other grossly anti-social behavior, would you still encourage him to move before that was addressed? OK, well the US government does really ugly, despicable things and he works for them. Not cool.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but perhaps jumping to conclusions. Here's a paper I recently came across regarding this subject: Libertarian Punishment Theory: Working for, and Donating to, the State

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »

Indeed.  There's no guarantee that he would be shunned by all, or even most members.  But some certainly will, and many others will most definitely be leery of him and take a long time to develop any sort of trust.  Finding a legitimate source of employment before moving is not necessary, but it would certainly be for the best...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but perhaps jumping to conclusions. Here's a paper I recently came across regarding this subject: Libertarian Punishment Theory: Working for, and Donating to, the State

That paper really doesn't have many/any logical arguments.  The author just makes assertions, apparently supported by nothing more than his own opinion.  He even asserts that it would be acceptable to work as a concentration camp guard, torturing and murdering innocents, as long as you allow one prisoner to escape, who otherwise would not have.  He also asserts that he won't find fault with the imperialistic wars the US has engaged in because, "I take the position that right or wrong, my own country is always right."

This is hardly a paper that any legitimate libertarian, or anyone who is a liberty lover at all, should be using for support of an argument.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up