Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Animals at Porcfest  (Read 4568 times)

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
Animals at Porcfest
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:16:37 pm »

I have heard so much positive feedback about Porcfest, and have heard how it just keeps growing and growing because it is such a great liberty gathering, that I am really hoping things work out for me to attend in 2012.

So, now I must ask the Porcfest vets about animals.

I imagine this time of year is way too warm for a moose encounter.  I imagine there may be some bear, snakes, skunks and such roaming around in the wooded areas.  Have any animals ever wandered out into the camping or event areas?  Are there wildlife encounter instructions available for campers?  I have a good idea of what I would do if I was confronted by a bear, but I can tell you it wouldn't be the right thing.  How were the mosquitos, gnats, ticks, flies, and other bugs?  Anything bug spray can't handle?

Is Porcfest a pet friendly event or is it best to leave pets at home with a guardian?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:18:36 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Animals at Porcfest
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 01:33:13 pm »

That rat sure was healthy and looks to be eating well :) .  I loved the title "They're going to rat us out."
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »

Porcfest and Rogers are pet friendly.

In fact this year I saw WAYYYYY more dogs than previous years.  And all dogs seemed to be friendly this year.. (I remember last year a few dogs weren't)

There were some bugs... bug spray handles it.

I am sure that there might be some wildlife but I think that there was so much noise/light at night that not many come around.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 02:34:47 pm »

Anything bug spray can't handle?

Not that I know of.  The main danger in NH is Lyme Disease from ticks.  Bug spray with deet will likely protect you from that.  However, the grass was low at Porcfest so the danger of even getting a tick on you was extremely small.

Is Porcfest a pet friendly event or is it best to leave pets at home with a guardian?

I heard there were at least two dog bites at Roger's this year.  So if you bring a dog, make sure it is healthy and make sure you have enough money to pay the damages.

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 03:16:20 pm »

At a previous Porcfest  I saw the tail end of a black bear as it disappeared into the woods.

The same year a fishercat zipped through the back yard of the trailer I rented.  I guess that's to be expected with all the porcupines in attendance.  ;)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »

sure you can run into a moose in June :)

bears like garbage bins ..... just like the Candy/Akroyd film

rogers is like living in a park ... not like the woods
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1]   Go Up