Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ad-hoc wifi through BearExtender antennas  (Read 3800 times)

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
Ad-hoc wifi through BearExtender antennas
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:16:38 am »

I have a BearExtender for my iMac. The software is semi-suckish, but the hardware definitely rocks. The first time I hooked it up, I went from 2 visible networks, to 10.

Anyhoo, the reason it might be useful for PorcFest, is for folks with multiple wireless devises.

Rogers Campground may have changed their policy since then, but in 2006 you had to pay for each login, either by the day, or by the week.

If you use the BearExtender to connect to the campground network, you can click the "share connection" button to use the connected computer's internal antenna, and hook up any other wifi devices within range.

stduncan

Re: Ad-hoc wifi through BearExtender antennas
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:45:15 am »

Is roger's the only way to get internets?  Will anyone be sharing a broadcasted 3 or 4g signal that would take a donation?

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:24:52 pm »

I have a 3G Verizon card, but the monthly cap is only 5Gig, so I can't afford to share.  It's 5 cents a Meg over the cap and my bill went over $200 the one time I let someone else use it.
The price Rogers charges is not unreasonable.  I bought it myself last year so I could post pictures and vids without worrying about my limits.

ny2nh

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »

I think we paid $20 for the week last year - which was not much IMO. The service was fairly reliable.

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:55:13 pm »

I think we paid $20 for the week last year - which was not much IMO. The service was fairly reliable.

I thought it was $15 for the week, but whatever, both are reasonable.
Others complained about the internet, but not me. Because:
1. I spent way more time having fun that using my laptop
2. I'm awesome so it always worked for me.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:24:07 am »

Yes, it's quite reasonable for a week (although most campgrounds around the country have free wifi now).

My post was for those people who might have two or more wifi devices. Instead of paying for each device, they can create their own hotspot to use their laptops/phones/roku/whatever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up