Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Industrial Hemp  (Read 28046 times)

kckuhns

• Life-long Libertarian....
Industrial Hemp
« on: July 10, 2003, 12:19:06 pm »

The mind-numbing stupidity of our US federal drug laws approach the extreme when they include industrial hemp. The plant is a horticultural miracle, and possible products are limitless.

I'd start the first farm and colocate a plywood fabrication plant and engineered lumber facility.

It's a thought...
Kevin C. Kuhns
Free State First 1000
New Hampshire Resident

Penfist

• FSP Participant
  • Work together to build something that lasts.
    • Penfist
Re:Industrial Hemp
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 12:56:04 pm »

I might want to be involved in something like that. Keep me in mind!
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
--Thomas Jefferson

heyerstandards

• Who's guarding the guards?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 02:47:52 pm »

I'm missing something about hemp....

Are there any commercial factories around the world that use hemp that we can point to?

(For what it's worth, my grandpa had hemp growing on some fencerows back on the Iowa farm.  He said Uncle Sam wanted it for rope in WWII, and now it just grows wild. )
Is government sometimes useful? Answered Mencken:

So is a doctor. But suppose the dear fellow claimed the right, every time he was called in to prescribe for a bellyache..., to raid the family silver, use the family tooth-brushes, and execute the droit de seigneur upon the housemaid.

Aaron

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 11:58:30 pm »

According to Jack Herer, the propaganda that molded the culture of this country to be anti-hemp spread to the other countries of the world.  Somehow, the regime of the cold war Soviet Union actually believed all the lies Hearst's tabloids put out.  I guess they thought that their own government was the only organization capable of rewriting history to brainwash the entire populace of a country.  They as well as the rest of the world fell over like dominoes once the United States abolished hemp.  Only recently have some "progressive" countries such as Switzerland and Canada start experimenting with industrial hemp.  That is why it is hard to find any examples world wide of widespread use of industrial hemp.

http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html

anarchicluv

• FSP Participant
  • Semper Liber
    • Strike The Root
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 08:11:16 pm »

I'm missing something about hemp....

Are there any commercial factories around the world that use hemp that we can point to?

There are many of them currently using hemp to produce everything from clothing to soap.  

Daimler-Chrysler (http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/) is using hemp in the construction of exterior body panels for their automobiles.  Another example would be Dr. Bronners (http://www.drbronner.com/) which uses hemp oil in all of the soaps they produce.  Living Tree Paper (http://www.livingtreepaper.com/) makes an awesome blend of paper which makes use of hemp and is now being sold in many Staples stores across the country.

My brother and I have also created a special blend of coffee that makes use of roasted hemp seeds which add flavor and body characteristics not found in any other coffee.  

So yes, hemp is in use around the world in many unique ways.

Jeremy
If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood.
~Henry David Thoreau

Zack Bass

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2003, 08:21:11 pm »

According to Jack Herer, the propaganda that molded the culture of this country to be anti-hemp spread to the other countries of the world.... They as well as the rest of the world fell over like dominoes once the United States abolished hemp.  Only recently have some "progressive" countries such as Switzerland and Canada start experimenting with industrial hemp.  That is why it is hard to find any examples world wide of widespread use of industrial hemp.

Your Conspiracy Theory is belied by MisterBeanz's post.
You want us to think that hemp is so magical that only intentional suppression could possibly keep it from being the greatest thing in all the world.  The truth is that it's not that big a deal, and some folks have found some niche uses and have not been suppressed and have not been phenomenoally successful either.

Zack Bass

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2003, 08:26:15 pm »

Daimler-Chrysler (http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/) is using hemp in the construction of exterior body panels for their automobiles.

This sounds like they are doing it because it's a good material.

Another example would be Dr. Bronners (http://www.drbronner.com/) which uses hemp oil in all of the soaps they produce.  Living Tree Paper (http://www.livingtreepaper.com/) makes an awesome blend of paper which makes use of hemp and is now being sold in many Staples stores across the country.

My brother and I have also created a special blend of coffee that makes use of roasted hemp seeds which add flavor and body characteristics not found in any other coffee.  

Do these products promote the hemp content as a selling point?
Except possibly for the paper, these sound like they are capitalizing on the novelty of "Look, I'm using a Hemp Product and I'm not in jail!" - like those marijuana-seed necklaces.

anarchicluv

• FSP Participant
  • Semper Liber
    • Strike The Root
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2003, 08:35:57 pm »

Do these products promote the hemp content as a selling point?
Except possibly for the paper, these sound like they are capitalizing on the novelty of "Look, I'm using a Hemp Product and I'm not in jail!" - like those marijuana-seed necklaces.

Yes, they do.  But before writing them off as a novelty, you should learn a bit about hemp.  Hemp oil is very beneficial for the skin and hair.  It has been used in cosmetics and body care for a long time, and for good reason.  I can personally attest to that; I use Bronner’s soaps every day.

As far as the addition of roasted hemp seed to our coffee blends, the intent was to create a delicious flavor profile not found in other blends, as well as tie the blends into our concept of a cannabis themed coffee shop.  So you're partially correct there, though I wouldn't call it simply a novelty.  If it didn't add anything to our blends or our concept, we wouldn't have added the seeds.  

Jeremy
If a thousand men were not to pay their tax-bills this year, that would not be a violent and bloody measure, as it would be to pay them, and enable the State to commit violence and shed innocent blood.
~Henry David Thoreau

Zack Bass

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2003, 08:42:46 pm »

... before writing them off as a novelty, you should learn a bit about hemp.  Hemp oil is very beneficial for the skin and hair.  It has been used in cosmetics and body care for a long time, and for good reason.

I'm sure that's true.
I just wonder how many hemp products would be around if it weren't for the marijuana tie-in.  It's been used for rope for hundreds of years, and that's about it.
I bet if part of kudzu got you high people would be making all sorts of things out of the parts that don't get you high.  But since no parts get you high, no kudzu products exist - except rope and similar fibrous materials.

anarchicluv

• FSP Participant
  • Semper Liber
    • Strike The Root
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2003, 09:30:14 pm »

I'm sure that's true.
I just wonder how many hemp products would be around if it weren't for the marijuana tie-in.  It's been used for rope for hundreds of years, and that's about it.
I bet if part of kudzu got you high people would be making all sorts of things out of the parts that don't get you high.  But since no parts get you high, no kudzu products exist - except rope and similar fibrous materials.

I certainly understand your cynicism, but there are over 25,000 documented uses for the cannabis plant; including industrial, recreational, and medicinal uses.  I don't think you can say the same of any other plant known and used by mankind.  You should take a few and read Jack Herer's fascinating book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" (http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html).  

It just happens to be the book that got me on the libertarian path.

Jeremy
~Henry David Thoreau

SN Porc

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 10:32:29 pm »

I don't know about any of the other uses, but hemp/marijuana is an excellent medicine. I smoke for medicinal purposes.

It would take three prescription drugs to replace the benefits I receive from smoking marijuana.

a. pain reliever
b. helps circulation
c. anti-depressent

I have a list of health problems including peripheral vascular disease, cryoglobulinemia, Hep C, possible cancers, and the list goes on. Smoking marijuana helps relieve the pain, escemic, neurologic, and just plain pain. The depressant/relaxing effects help my circulation. And last, but certainly not least, the psychological effects help me cope with having one leg and living in a two legged world.

schm00

• FSP Participant
  • 3583 Bytes Free. OK.
    • Lair of the wiley schm00
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2003, 10:38:46 pm »

And last, but certainly not least, the psychological effects help me cope with having one leg and living in a two legged world.

How dare you derive pleasure from medicine! Off with your head! er..leg!

::)

Radar

• Constitutional Scholar
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 01:01:19 pm »

You want us to think that hemp is so magical that only intentional suppression could possibly keep it from being the greatest thing in all the world.  The truth is that it's not that big a deal, and some folks have found some niche uses and have not been suppressed and have not been phenomenoally successful either.

Hemp is more than magical, it's the only thing besides oil that can provide 100% of our energy needs.  It's a miracle and can save the earth.  

A few facts on hemp for you Zack

• Hemp can completely free us from fossil fuel dependency and provide 100% of our energy needs within 5 years
  • Hemp is clean, renewable, and cheaper than oil.
  • Hemp makes better paper, better industrial lubricants, etc. than trees and takes less time to grow and doesn't require the chemicals wood pulp does.
  • Hemp doesn't require pesticides and doesn't erode the soil like cotton, corn, or most other crops.
  • Some strains of Hemp are softer and more durable than cotton.
  • Hemp was the number 1 cash crop in America for more than a century and was grown by George Washington himself.
  • Hemp has been used for literally thousands of industrial and medical products for thousands of years in every culture on earth.
The word "conspiracy" is apt in this situation.  There were 3 men who conspired to make hemp illegal in America for their own gain and they succeeded.  If they hadn't, we would never have fought wars in the middle-east.
Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody's watching.

--Satchel Paige

Oh yea, and New Hampshire Sucks!  It's the worst choice for a free state because it offers us the worst chance for success.  - Me

Racer X

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 02:58:26 pm »

• Hemp can completely free us from fossil fuel dependency and provide 100% of our energy needs within 5 years

.[/list]

I think you might be a bit optimistic with that one.  Anyway,  It seems like the processing is very expensive and eventually you'll be competing with the subsidized third world.  Here's an article I found about Canada's hemp industy.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=15143

Racer X

Zack Bass

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 12:04:52 am »

Hemp is more than magical, it's the only thing besides oil that can provide 100% of our energy needs.  It's a miracle and can save the earth.  

• Hemp is clean, renewable, and cheaper than oil.
The word "conspiracy" is apt in this situation.  There were 3 men who conspired to make hemp illegal in America for their own gain and they succeeded.  If they hadn't, we would never have fought wars in the middle-east.

If that were true then other countries wouldn't be spending all that money on oil, they'd be getting rich selling us and the rest of the world hemp biomass.

It's simply not cheaper than oil.  People don't waste their money that way.
And it clogs up your injectors.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up