Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A donation-funded TV show like the X-Files!  (Read 4444 times)

Alex Libman

A donation-funded TV show like the X-Files!
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:50:02 pm »

I just came across a free ("Creative Commons" licensed) Web series called Pioneer One [WP], and two episodes into it I am very impressed.  It has an X-Files vibe to it, but with a coherent story line and without any stupid "monster of the week" bull.

The production is financed through fan donations - a method I've been advocating for quite some time.  The only thing imperfect about it (other than substituting Polish for Russian in some places, through many million-dollar James Bond flicks have done the same) is that the license is Copyleft ("non-commercial share-alike") - a philosophy I disagree with when it comes to software, but it's less of an issue for film.

As digital video production costs continue to decline, members of the broad Free State movement will inevitably have some similar creative projects, and I would definitely consider supporting them as much as possible.  The only similar creative project I'm aware of so far is Chartarum, which I am looking forward to with great anticipation.  I'm wondering if anyone else here likes Pioneer One, or can comment on this method of financing free media, etc.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: A donation-funded TV show like the X-Files!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

A few of us are working on a project, which would likely be financed similarly.

Of course, we need a few grand in startup capital, before we produce our first episode.  No one's really been seeking that (lots of other irons in the fire, right now), so unless someone just shows up and wants to fund a libertarian news/entertainment program, it may be a while.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Alex Libman

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:24:51 pm »

Is it a remake of a certain 1975 Spielberg movie, reset in Maine?

I'd pay to have a cameo line, like...

You're gonna need a bigger seastead!

::)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:32:45 pm »

Is it a remake of a certain 1975 Spielberg movie, reset in Maine?

I'd pay to have a cameo line, like...

You're gonna need a bigger seastead!

::)

Nope.  If we were going to do something like that, we'd use Graffy, except he's just too peaceful to play the role.

This is a news program.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Alex Libman

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »

Don't really need much of a budget for a quality "News 2.0" vidcast, as is evidenced by Dave Ridley, Capitol Access, Free Minds, etc.  All it takes is smart people and time.  What exactly did you have in mind, a news chopper?   ::)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:09:22 pm by Alex Libman »

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:45 pm »

No, that would be a few hundred grand.

A few grand would cover cameras, studio space (probably in someone's house or business, so more backdrops/sets and lighting), and some pro-sumer editing equipment, and some marketing to get things rolling (although, with the way we have it planned, a lot of it would go viral and not need much marketing after that point).

$5k would probably do it.  $10k would do it well, and hitting the ground rolling is always better than trying to climb uphill.

Joe

Alex Libman

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »

I'm a big fan of growing businesses patiently and organically, and this would be especially applicable to local news shows.  Why not start with like a $20 cam, or whatever you can afford today, and then improve with every episode?

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:17:05 pm »

I'm a big fan of growing businesses patiently and organically, and this would be especially applicable to local news shows.  Why not start with like a $20 cam, or whatever you can afford today, and then improve with every episode?

Because folks who tune in to the first show and find low production values, are less likely to come back to watch those future, better shows.

Folks have come to expect HD quality and such.  If we're going to steal viewers away from the mainstream in order to get them the message of liberty, we need to be able to come up with something that will actually get watched.  It doesn't have to have the production values of a typical national news show, but the goal is to look like professionals, from the start.

Joe

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:17:04 am »

A few grand would cover cameras, studio space (probably in someone's house or business, so more backdrops/sets and lighting), and some pro-sumer editing equipment, and some marketing to get things rolling (although, with the way we have it planned, a lot of it would go viral and not need much marketing after that point).

I already have all that and have a humorous fictional web-series planned that would be similar in style to The Guild, but with free-staters.  Mostly what I need is enthusiastic people willing to learn and provide free labor and be reliable.  That last part is the kicker.  Lacking that has cost me thousands with the first feature-length movie attempt.  I'm not ready to go out on a limb for a project of that scale again just yet.  Funding for things like props, costumes, locations, food, and possibly even a little financial incentive particularly for technical people would be nice, of course.

The project has been delayed primarily by my housing search and is still a little delayed by all the stuph I now have to do with the house, but I have been working on the software setup for editing on two computers last night and today in the production office (in the new house).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:19:06 am by dalebert »

Alex Libman

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:24 am »

I've just watched last night's South Park, which offered a rather interesting theory to explain everyone's anger issues.   ::)

More to the point, South Park has originally been a great example of low-budget story-telling at its best.  (And some Jap crap deserves an honorable mention as well.)  Animation keeps getting cheaper due to advancing PC hardware and software (soon to include more AI to do ever-more of the mindless work for you), and the ease with which people can collaborate over the Internet.  I've already seen plenty of freelance task HITs looking for someone to just do a few lines of voice-acting over Skype for $10, etc.  Amateur film-making in the meat-world (like the meat-world itself) will eventually become passe.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 09:37:44 am »

I already have all that and have a humorous fictional web-series planned that would be similar in style to The Guild, but with free-staters.  Mostly what I need is enthusiastic people willing to learn and provide free labor and be reliable.  That last part is the kicker.

Yes, it is.  With the artwork we do, comparing the number of inquiries about modeling to the number of models who actually end up physically arriving for a session, we get well less than 5% "closure rate."

The annoying ones are the ones who schedule things, then don't show.

Any interest in loaning/renting equipment that's sitting idle?  If so, shoot me a PM or email...

Joe

Alex Libman

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 12:04:38 pm »

Episode 5 -- Sea Change -- was released on October 5th.

Download:  [HD 720p - 1,552 MB]  [SD Xvid - 357 MB]  [YT]

Length:  40 min.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:11:22 pm by Alex Libman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up