Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions from a first time porcfester/vender  (Read 5675 times)

mauiguy

• Made it!! Porcfest rocks!!!
Questions from a first time porcfester/vender
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:59:33 pm »

Aloha gang!

Ok, we've decided to take the BIG plunge.

Not only are we coming to Porcfest but we are going to make the move as well (can't bear to watch all you guys have so much fun without us anymore). :D

We registered a regular campsite (#40) before we decided to commit to do any vending and are currently trying to get it switched to one of the Agora Valley sites. It's a real relief to hear in other threads that we won't be discouraged from doing our thang wherever we end up plopping down, so it's all good.

We have decided to bring a little bit of paradise with us: < drum roll please... > The Tiki Bar & Grill is hereby officially announced!

We plan on serving kalua porc  ;)  plates and sandwiches, tropical cocktails (frozen and otherwise), and more (tba).

The problem I'm having, being a newbie and all, is that I have no idea what kind of volume to expect.
I'm in the process of placing orders and arranging logistics for when we arrive but have no clue what type of customer counts are common for an Agora Valley outlet.
I understand that this year will be bigger and longer but if someone could help give me a little context within which to work, based on their experience in previous years, it would be greatly appreciated.

We're so excited to meet all y'all we just can't stand it!

See you at Rogers! Don't forget to swing by and get in on a little Aloha!

Mahalo Nui!

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~Samuel Adams~  
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Professor Bernardo de la Paz, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, by Robert Heinlien

libertango

Re: Questions from a first time porcfester/vender
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »

Hey There MauiGuy!

Welcome!  Last year was my first time at porcfest.  Without having advertised at all prior to the event, I sold 120 thai food meals over 3 days.  Not sure about a bar type situation, some people will bring their own, some people will love a bar.  You might even have some competition :)  Good luck, and look forward to seeing you there!

-Libertango

mauiguy

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »

Mahalo Libertango for the advice! I appreciate it.

Hammering out the details is proving interesting but I'm sure it's going to be a blast for all. We can't wait.

Are you doing something this year as well?

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~Samuel Adams~  
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Professor Bernardo de la Paz, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, by Robert Heinlien

Dionysus

• New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:08:45 pm »

What does a booth cost at porcfest? I might be interested in one next year.
"Emergencies” have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have eroded.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »

I'd plan small.  That way, if you move all your stuff, you can just party more and stuff.  That's what I would do.  Then you can go bigger in the future.

mauiguy

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 11:17:50 pm »

There's no charge for vendors this year other than the camping fees and Porcfest registration.
I've learned this time around, getting an Agora Valley spot early is key.
They're some left but the best go early.

mauiguy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:20:32 pm »

I'd plan small.  That way, if you move all your stuff, you can just party more and stuff.  That's what I would do.  Then you can go bigger in the future.

Hoping to get it just right. ;)
The revenue from vending is going to help us set up in NH.
We don't need much but in this case, I think more is more. :)
Thanks for the advice.

Dionysus

• New Hampshire Liberty Alliance
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 02:01:14 am »

Well I think you have an excellent idea and plan; but I have to agree with Love and Peace, keep it small until you see what your first year stats tell you. I think I would look at this year as testing your market instead of going after big profits.     
"Emergencies” have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have eroded.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 08:55:52 am »

There's no charge for vendors this year other than the camping fees and Porcfest registration.
I've learned this time around, getting an Agora Valley spot early is key.
They're some left but the best go early.
you can try to be in the neighborhood .... like straight uphill .... put probably taken
or south in the trailer sites ... that way you are not too far away and people can get there without climbing the hill
people party in that field and pavilion a lot so that area is good
depending on if there is another bar setting ... you could have constant customers .... even early morning ... i mean really really late
big thing for you might be planning for cold and rainy for your bar
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:57:09 am »

It's really hard to estimate how much business you'll have.  On the one hand, this year will be bigger, so there are more potential customers.  On the other hand, this year will be bigger, so there are more potential competitors.

I'd suggest finding out how much you can source locally, and how much of a hit you'll take, buying in "grocery store" quantities, versus buying in bulk.  Plan your pricing so you can make a profit, even if you have to re-stock from the local grocery store.  Then buy enough for 100-200 meals, in bulk.  If you sell more than that, great!  And you just make a bit lower profit margin on the subsequent sales.

Also figure on whether there are any ingredients that you can just use, yourself, after PorcFest is over, especially if they aren't particularly perishable.  For example, if you use rice in your recipe, and you also eat rice at home, and you've figured that you need 10 pounds of rice to serve 150 meals, maybe you buy 20 pounds.  Which means you're safe on that, even if you get more customers, and if you don't, you won't need to buy rice for a while.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

ny2nh

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:33:05 am »

I would think the majority of folks looking to buy food/drinks would be ehading toward Agora Valley....so setting up there will probably bring youthe most success. Site 40 is definitely in the middle of actual campsites....conveniently across from the bathrooms, but if I recall, if rany, there is a lot of puddling on that corner. Plus - some of the campers on the hill can be such bitches. ;0

Like someone else said - there are supposed to be more people which means more potential customers, but also more vendors which could mean more competitors. If you have cover for when it's raining - I would think you would attract people to your tiki bar just to get out of the rain!

Good luck to you!

mauiguy

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:55:28 am »

Thank all you guys!! :D

I can't tell you how much we appreciate the awesome advice!

Your replies have reminded me exactly why it is we're on our way. Close knit community with incredible people, working together to support and advance each other in liberty.

You've no idea how excited we are to meet all of you.

Mahalo nui loa!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 02:00:59 pm »

I am a future customer and my site is right there... :)

mauiguy

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 02:07:11 pm »

I am a future customer and my site is right there... :)

Sweet! This is gonna be fun!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything