Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hampshire trip cost estimate  (Read 2375 times)

KyleG

New Hampshire trip cost estimate
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »

I wanted to share my estimation of the cost of coming out to NH for PF this year.

The trip is from Big Rapids, Michigan which is about 1100 miles from Lancaster. The trip will take about 18 hours, or two days of riding, each way. Four days of travel. Jamestown NY is the half way point, which gives us about 9 hours per day of travel.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/5rc8x42

Hotel (Jamestown NY): $70 x 2 = $140
Camping: $25 x 4 = $100
Gas: 2200 miles / 45 mpg * $4.29/gallon = $210

Sub total: $510

The above doesn't even consider food, which I guess will be a least $40 a day for two people * 7 days = $280

Total: $790

This is about how much it would cost for me to actually move out to NH. I was thinking about moving out this year, but I don't think i can afford to attend PF and move out in the same year. I don't think I want to move out without first visiting, but maybe that is a luxury worth losing, considering the state (Michigan) that I am leaving...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:52:31 pm by KyleG »

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: New Hampshire trip cost estimate
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:36:39 am »

That's a good point.  I had to decide in 2004 whether I wanted to come out to New Hampshire after all.  I had voted against it and had even excluded the northeastern states from the list of those that I was willing to move to.  In the end, there was nothing else to do.  I packed up the bimmer and drove cross country.

porcmanor.com
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

KyleG

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:49:55 pm »

Actually it turns out that moving is going to cost a bit more than $800. It will be closer to $2000 to move, so it looks like I am coming to PF this year and moving next year.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »

I wanted to share my estimation of the cost of coming out to NH for PF this year.

The trip is from Big Rapids, Michigan which is about 1100 miles from Lancaster. The trip will take about 18 hours, or two days of riding, each way. Four days of travel. Jamestown NY is the half way point, which gives us about 9 hours per day of travel.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/5rc8x42

Hotel (Jamestown NY): $70 x 2 = $140
Camping: $25 x 4 = $100
Gas: 2200 miles / 45 mpg * $4.29/gallon = $210

Sub total: $510

The above doesn't even consider food, which I guess will be a least $40 a day for two people * 7 days = $280

Total: $790

This is about how much it would cost for me to actually move out to NH. I was thinking about moving out this year, but I don't think i can afford to attend PF and move out in the same year. I don't think I want to move out without first visiting, but maybe that is a luxury worth losing, considering the state (Michigan) that I am leaving...

I am going to save you some $$

Use code DREEPA when you register....that saves you 20% off registration (seriously)
also maybe camp in Jamestown vs Hotel?  or find some FSPer in that area and they might let you crash....
You could meet up with a 'convoy' coming from western NY and maybe pick one of them up so that they can chip in for gas.

KyleG

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:57:26 pm »

Thanks... I actually registered earlier today and used the code STEFAN... so instead of paying $60, I paid $48... saving me $12. Not really $$$ but I guess its worth about 100 miles of gas.

My girlfriend and I will be traveling by motorcycle, so there wont be much room for other riders. It will take us 9 hours to get to New York, that's why I picked a hotel.

If we camped in NY on the way there and on the way back, it would probably be about $25 per night, or $50 total.  So I would save $90.

I'm thinking the hotel is going to sound pretty good after a 9 hour ride, and given that it is marginally more expensive than camping, it seems like a good choice.

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »

If you are set on riding your bike to PorcFest, we cant much help on the gas/lodging costs.
Best would be to join a Convoy group, to save on gas (maybe not much compared to your motorcycle), and avoid having to pit stop at a hotel.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

Pages: [1]   Go Up