Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking the plunge and moving to Manch... now looking for housing!  (Read 2517 times)

YetAnotherFSPer

I signed the letter of intent ~3 years ago, now my girlfriend and I are moving up! I'm a highly motivated frontend/backend web programmer with 5 years experience, she's a biology major with lots of data entry and canvassing experience. We're both in our early/mid 20's

We are going to Porcfest, but would be open to moving before then (June/July/August 1st, MAYBE sometime in May?). My g/f doesn't take indoor cigarette smoke or cats too well, but other than that we're pretty open. We'd have 1 U Haul of stuff to move up, including some basic furniture (a table, a desk, a futon bed, bookshelf, dresser, microwave), along with kitchen ware and personal items (computer, guitar, clothing, etc). If we can't move all of this in, we potentially put some of it in storage until we find something more long-term.

That said, is anyone looking for roommates, have a room or apartment for rent, or know of some good digs? The lower the rent the better, preferably without security deposit. We'd prefer not to drain our savings too fast as it will give us more time to get settled, and get a lay of the land to find a more permanent housing solution.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:24:50 pm by YetAnotherFSPer »

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Taking the plunge and moving to Manch... now looking for housing!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:32:15 pm »

Do you know what area you're looking for, or what sort of local environment (city, suburban, rural, back woods, etc.) you want?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

YetAnotherFSPer

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:19:09 pm »

Do you know what area you're looking for, or what sort of local environment (city, suburban, rural, back woods, etc.) you want?

Joe

Downtown Manchester, ideally

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:26:57 pm »

Downtown Manchester, ideally

One option: http://porcmanor.com/domicile/spacious_3_br_apartment_off_street_parking

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 04:21:12 pm »

One option: http://porcmanor.com/domicile/spacious_3_br_apartment_off_street_parking

You do realize that posting is from two years ago?

I found PorcManor to be utterly out of date. That's why I haven't found anything to move into ... next Wednesday!

I haven't even found a cheap hotel, or a local Manchester phone book. Right now, I'm not sure where I'll be sleeping Wednesday night.

But it will be in New Hampshire.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:24:49 pm »

You do realize that posting is from two years ago?

Yeah, but I know the landlord and, last I heard, there was an opening.

Joe

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:24:22 am »

Well, with my date of arrival accelerating toward the "now", I'm also looking.

I contacted "Red Oak Apts", a company in Manchester, they seem to have a variety.

I also found some interesting "out of the way" places, like Sandown, on Craig's List.

The reality seems to be just "get there" and then start looking. Honestly, I'm just not into sleeping in the car.

I am, however, perfectly happy to sleep at a campground, and I have a tent. Any suggestions?

I stayed at Monadnock near Keen one night last year, that wasn't so bad.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:57:34 am by CurtHowland »
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:35:16 pm »

I am, however, perfectly happy to sleep at a campground, and I have a tent. Any suggestions?

Buy my pop-up camper, and find some Porc who will let you park it on their property.  I've charged around $150/mo in the past, when I've done similar.

Then you have a few months to find better accommodations - a pop-up is much easier for long-term use than a tent.  If it's a large tent, though, you can use it for storage.

Joe

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 08:20:47 am »

Buy my pop-up camper, and find some Porc who will let you park it on their property. 

Sounds interesting, I'd like to see it when I get there. I have a line on a room in a shared apartment, which at this moment I'd prefer to camping out.

I'll contact you when I'm in town.

Pages: [1]   Go Up