Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a Car  (Read 7002 times)

Dean Tea

Buying a Car
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:57:45 pm »

Hey, so I'm going to do an extended road trip to New Hampshire this fall, and I'm going to need to buy a car to get around. I thought that to save money, I would buy a used car in NH once I arrive, so I don't have to pay expensive Ontario insurance.

Does anyone know if a used car dealer in NH would sell to me (a non resident). I'm a fully licensed driver in Ontario, but I'm not sure what the rules are surrounding auto sales.

Thanks in advance for your tips!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Buying a Car
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 01:26:18 pm »

Uh, you hand them money, and they hand you keys?

As far as I know, they won't care if you're from NH, Ontario, or Mars.

For that matter, check Craigslist and the like - you can probably get a better deal on a private sale than from a dealer.  Or, if you know what you need, post a request (nhunderground.com is probably better than this forum, since it deals with folks already in NH) and see if someone has what you want, already, or knows someone who does.  There are several used vehicles that FSP folks and friends have, and might want to sell.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:14:48 pm »

I think if you want to register a car in nh, you have to have one of their licenses.
Other than that ....
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:21:00 pm »

I think if you want to register a car in nh, you have to have one of their licenses.
Other than that ....

Well, that's separate from buying one.

But I think they just want a license, not a NH license.  Just whatever evidence they "need" that you live here (ie, a lease or somesuch).

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Dean Tea

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:47:28 am »

Thanks very much for the tips! Freedom works!
Pages: [1]   Go Up