Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Family in and around New Hampshire  (Read 1434 times)

freedomroad

Family in and around New Hampshire
« on: February 26, 2011, 03:34:14 pm »

One issue people sometimes have with moving to NH is that they don't want to leave their family where there currently live.  That's what this post is about.

Perhaps the easiest way to not miss your family after you move to NH is to actually take your family with you to NH :)  Unfortunately (fortunately?) that usually doesn't happen.  However, there are other ways to deal with not being near your family.  Keep in mind that with Facebook, closed Facebook groups, unlimited cell and text plans, email, IM and skype, it is easier than ever to keep in touch with your family.

I love my family and am very close to my immediate family.  I was sad about moving to NH and leaving them.  However, I was lucky to have some family in VT.  I've visited with them in the summer and even during some heavily family focused holidays in the past and that helped.  I don't go to VT for all of the heavily family focused holidays though because lots of activists have get togethers all over NH during those times.  When I first moved to NH I had a cousin in MA and I visited with him a couple times, which also helped.  I have a very distant cousin somewhere in NH but I haven't seen him in around a couple decades so I have yet to locate his exact location.

I was recently talking to my mom about her childhood and she told me that a relative of mine used to have a house in a town bordering the city where I live.  My mom said she used to stay there in the summers and swim at the same beach lake that I swim at in the summer.  These little connections help and I remind myself of them whenever I miss my family.

I was at a family function in a far off city recently and I met some family members for the very first time.  One of them asked where I'm from and I told him where I lived in NH and he told me his grandfather is a local peace activist in the same city.  Today I attended an activist event in my city and met this nice man.  It was great meeting him and I'll likely see him many times at activists events and maybe other times in the years to come.

I occasionally go back to where I used to live before I lived in NH.  I usually drive and if I am passing by a relative's house on the way, I sometimes stop by and visit with them.  These trips are great because they offer the chance to visit with family members, see roadside attractions and promote the FSP along the way and where I used to live.

For example, I recently made a trip from NH to TN and back to NH.  On the way down to TN I visited with a friend for a couple days, went on a nice hike, saw some historic areas, visited the Jack Daniel's Distillery (which I never visited when I lived in TN) and placed FSP flyers in a few free magazines at a couple rest areas, see here for more details on this, http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=18209.0

In TN, whenever meeting with my local friends or family, I quickly mentioned how great my life is in NH and some of the activism I'm doing.  I also went to some of the local government libraries and enhanced a few books by pro-liberty authors with free fsp bookmarks.  To learn more about this see here, http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=18210.0  Additionally, I went to a few government colleges and posted FSP flyers, like the ones here, http://freestateproject.org/getinvolved/downloads , on the public bulletin boards.

On the way home I visited with a family member and a friend for a day each.  I also visited the Jim Beam Distillery and did more rest area outreach.

It was a great trip that allowed me to visit my family and friends from where I used to live, visit with my family and friends b/t NH and where I used to live, visit tourists sites along the way and promote the FSP the whole time.  While you may miss your family if you move to NH, you don't have to leave them forever and a trip like this can be very fun, helpful and effective.

Maybe you have distant relatives between NH and where you used to or currently live?  You might not even know it unless you ask around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything