Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Update on the Next 1000 Liberty Caravan for September 2011  (Read 7764 times)

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
Update on the Next 1000 Liberty Caravan for September 2011
« on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »

Update and request for input to FSP participants:

Hello, fellow FSPers. I thought it was time for an update on the Next 1000 Liberty Caravan, still planned to travel from the west coast to NH from Sep 6-17,2011. Then I will request some input on my plans.

First: the update. The liberty caravan webpage is back up as of January 31. It is no longer at the libertycaravan.com domain. We couldn't get to that address. For now it is http://libertycaravan.tumblr.com, not quite so convenient. The facebook page is still at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135525403138047. This is the place to sign up. If someone wants to sign up and doesn't have a facebook account, please PM me here on the forums. I will include your name and location and post it on the facebook page as a comment. Since it is public, you can give me just your first name and state or area of a larger state. Also whether you are definitely or only maybe on the caravan.

I have created 3 possible route maps for the crossing - I want to have more people signed up before I decide on the route to take, and the choice of route will depend on where the people live who sign up. The itineraries and links to maps on Mapquest are on the Liberty Caravan website. The first tentative route leaves from Seattle, crossing on I-80 and then I-90 to reach NH. The second leaves LA (I may change it to SF) and travels across I-70 to Pennsylvania, then some other highways to reach NH. The third leaves LA and crosses the country on I-40 (the same general route as the first Liberty Caravan). I would love to do this one just because I have never been to most of the states we would go through. On each of these routes, there are either 2 days off from traveling or 1 day off and 1 day with a very short trip. The length of each day's travels are between 4 and 6 hours.

There is also the issue of which route to take in the Northeast. My thought is traveling with guns is safer and easier if you don't go through NJ or MA, but avoiding NJ adds to the trip on the two more southern routes. I also would prefer not to drive anywhere near New York City, but maybe that's just me.

Certainly we could do it faster. There is a proposal to do the whole thing in 5-6 days, but my concern is that would leave us little time for meetups, let alone documenting our trip as we go. Plus I am not good at driving long days personally.

There is also a suggestion to just have everyone travel on their own and meet up in Iowa at a big truck stop, to travel the rest of the way together. This is a novel way of looking at it to me, but not a bad idea either.

This brings me to the input. I am interested in getting input both on the speed and the route to take. My intent is not to pass the decisions to someone else but to get more people to sign up. If someone will sign up if the caravan is done differently, that will be a consideration. My decision of a route at that point will be mostly based off the locations of the people who have signed up. I intend to choose a route and schedule 2 months from now, on April 7th. Hopefully the advertising I do shortly will make it so everyone involved in the FSP has a chance to join my caravan before then.

One thing some will suggest is moving the caravan to June, and I agree that a caravan then would get more people, but I have family reasons as well as financial to wait until September. However, other caravans are welcome and I will offer any such competition my help with access to the existing website, and joint publicity. As a strong believer in individual freedom, I welcome competition.

One more thing: I am creating a poll on the liberty caravan. Please vote!
The poll is at this thread: http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=22899.new#new
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 04:19:03 pm by 10stateswithnh »
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Update on the Next 1000 Liberty Caravan for September 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:24:44 pm »

Great!  I just posted on your facebook page, eh!
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »

BTW, folks with opinions on where and how the Caravan should run should log on to http://libertycaravan.tumblr.com/ ASAP.  They're going to have to lock in the route pretty soon, and they need info and input from everybody.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

10stateswithnh

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:37:05 pm »

I've pushed back my deadline for finalizing the route. I've had a lot of problems the last 3 months and not done much with the caravan including my advertising, so naturally I haven't had any more signups. That will be changing soon.

Right now I'm thinking a little after Porcfest, maybe the middle of July. Doesn't leave a whole lot of time for arranging meetups and planning the details of the trip but it's enough.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there in Nh, in September.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:19:02 pm »

Maybe you should finalize the details right there at PorcFest, eh.  That way, you'll be personally interacting with large numbers of prospective movers, many of whom would like to make the move sooner, rather than later.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:28:44 am »

Great idea, except I won't be at Porcfest this year. Regrettably, but I can't get the time off for it, and also for the family reunion I'm attending here in Utah in July.

I will check on the forums more often around it as I expect they will be more active right around PF.

If you want to promote it there, or we get more participants who are able to attend signed up before then, great.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

10stateswithnh

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:56:49 am »

I was having some problems doing what I wanted with the Liberty Caravan website on tumblr.com, so I started a new one on Google. I have now purchased a new URL.

Check out my new site at http://www.libertycaravan.org. This site will have all the updated info about the dates and plans of the caravan, the potential routes and later the finalized route, and various promotional media that will be coming out. Signups are still on the facebook event page, http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135525403138047. Anyone not having a facebook account, but wanting to sign up should email me at bryce@libertycaravan.org.

Please join the caravan if you want to move to NH this year - the timing is good. Though there are no big events, other than a AltExpo event in October and the big marijuana event down in Boston, the timing is still great - we will get there in time for the beautiful fall colors, and be able to settle in before it gets too cold to do stuff outside. Plus we get there before the Sep 30 moving deadline of the unsuccessful Next 1000 pledge, which personally I still want to meet even though we didn't get 1000 signers. The caravan is an unusual opportunity to travel in a group and spend some fun time together on the way to join the freedom movement, meeting FSP members and friends along the way, and documenting all our travels daily on the website for those following our adventures. We leave the West Coast Sept 6, the day after Labor Day, which allows people leaving their family behind, such as myself, to spend some extra time with their loved ones just before the departure.

I hope to travel with a lot of people! The more people, the more extra publicity we will get for the Free State Project!

Speaking of publicity, check out the Liberty Caravan ads on a couple of recent RidleyReport youtube videos!

Your comments and questions are welcome here, also.

If you've already moved to NH, feel free to support us and give feedback.

Hoping to see everyone in NH in September!
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

We've got a special election in Rockingham 14 on September 6th, so I won't be able to link up with you guys from the get go, but I'll gladly pick up some folks in my Cherokee and link up with you guys when I can.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 01:32:59 pm »

I expect to be posting my route in the next couple of days.

We still have only two people, myself and Max, and a few maybes on the facebook page. Please sign up if you plan to move to NH in September and have some flexibility about the exact dates. Check out my website, soon to be updated again, at libertycaravan.org. I plan to update this website daily with the details of the trip after I hit the road in September.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

10stateswithnh

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:43:01 pm »

I've posted my route on my website, libertycaravan.org.

I am leaving Colorado on Sep 7 and arriving in NH Sep 16.

I would like to have some kind of social gathering on the 16th in 3 possible locations - Keene, Manchester, and Portsmouth, where I expect to be spending a lot of time as my job is near there. Does anyone want to help greet the new group of people arriving? (I hope to have a group, so far no one has signed up but a couple from NC may travel with me the last day). I am looking for people who are moving this year to see if they want to join my caravan. Please sign up on my facebook event page, http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=135525403138047, or contact me here or through the libertycaravan.org website.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 08:46:30 pm »

Wow, this has come by in a hurry.  You just imagine that the deadline is so far off, and here it is.

The nice thing about the Next 1,000 is that a majority of the people who signed up have already made the move--or are just about to.

Thanks for all the help, 10sw/inNH.

10stateswithnh

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

Four likely biggest meetups posted - more to come.

See www.libertycaravan.org/meetup for details and links to the Facebook events.

I have created Facebook events for the following 4 locations, date and time:

Sep 7, 7 pm           Denver
Sep 12, 7 pm         Chicago
Sep 16, 12 - 2 pm,  Keene
Sep 16, 5 - 8 pm,   Manchester
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

10stateswithnh

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 06:04:59 pm »

I added a Portsmouth meetup a few days ago, but didn't have time to come back on this forum and update.

I am now moved out of my Utah apartment, and staying with my family but half living out of my car, leaving on Sep 7 for NH!

Here are the already-created meetups, with time, date, and place, and the Facebook event link. Anyone wanting to attend one who is not on Facebook, please PM me. I expect to add more events outside NH tomorrow.

Denver, Sep 7, 6 -9 pm (please note change in time to correspond with Liberty on the Rocks meetup in Cherry Creek, Denver), will be located at Choppers Sports Grill, 80 South Madison St, Denver, CO, 80209.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=212060655515875

Chicago, Sep 12, 7 - 10 pm, location TBD
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=212704345454003

Keene, Sep 16, 12 noon - 2 pm, Keene Activist Center.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278334032183664

Manchester, Sep 16, 5 - 8 pm,  location TBD
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=266130490072918

Portsmouth, Sep 17, 6 - 9 pm, location TBD
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=130923777004271

Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

10stateswithnh

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 06:08:05 pm »

By the way, if anyone out there is considering a move this month, or even this year, I encourage you to consider joining this caravan. At this point, it wouldn't give you much time to get ready, but it might still be possible for some people who don't own much, don't have their own house, etc. Probably more fun than riding a bus to NH, especially if you're far away!
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:

10stateswithnh

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 07:12:47 am »

Anyone who is my friend on Facebook, or follows the Liberty On Tour facebook page, has seen my updates on there. I have also been posting daily updates on my website, www.libertycaravan.org, and somewhat less than daily updates on www.libertyontour.com.

I forgot to post updates on here, though.

September 7 I left my family's house in western Colorado to start the Caravan. On Day 1, I drove to Denver. Day 2, sightseeing and shopping (and much-needed laundry!) in Denver. Day 3, Denver to Kearney, Nebraska (crossed from Mountain Time to Central Time). Day 4, Kearney to Des Moines, Iowa. In a couple of hours I will be leaving Des Moines for Chicago, a 5 1/2 hour drive with nothing else planned for the day. I expect to have some extra time, after arriving this afternoon, for writing updates and catching up reading posts, etc. I will be halfway to New Hampshire today!

If you are in or near Chicago, Cleveland, or Buffalo, Rochester, or Albany, New York, I also have meetups planned in those cities. If you are in New Hampshire, I hope you will come to one of my meetups in Keene, Manchester, and Portsmouth on the 16th and 17th.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up