Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: APPLESEED AT PORCFEST ON THURSDAY & FRIDAY  (Read 11203 times)

Firewall99

• FSP Participant
  • Enforce the 2d Amend, or kiss the other 9 goodbye.
    • APPLESEED PROJECT
APPLESEED AT PORCFEST ON THURSDAY & FRIDAY
« on: January 24, 2011, 01:57:02 pm »

There is an Appleseed Projectl shoot on the Thursday & Friday, June 23-24, 2011, of Porcfest week. 

The Appleseed Project is run by the Revolutionary War Veterans Association (RWVA).  You can learn all about it at www.RWVA.com.

The Porcfest shoot takes place in Dalton, NH, which is about 25 minutes from Rogers Campground.   You will need to get there on your own, but if you do, you can most probably get a ride back to Rogers.

We usually have loaner .22LR Liberty Training Rifles available if you reserve them ahead of time.  You still need to buy your ammunition, 500 rounds per shooter, per day.  Ammunition may be available for a donation, too.

Centerfires are OK for this shoot.  Did I mention that we shoot 500 rounds per day?  The best centerfire strategy is to shoot your 22 until you earn your first Rifleman badge.  Then switch to your centerfire.

One-day-only attendance is OK, but not recommended.  If one day is all you have, then make it Thursday if you can.  That's when the full Monty instruction is given.  If you've already done the first day at another Appleseed, then coming the second day is great.

Please see below for special requirements, fliers, and the What-to-Bring Checklist.

Most important:  do yourself a favor and get a GI web sling on your rifle ahead of time.  PM "Tony Stelik" here in the FSP forum or "smithy" over at the Appleseed Forum (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php) for help getting your rifle set up correctly. 

There is a LOT of great information at the Appleseed Forum.

The link to pre-register (HIGHLY recommended) is http://www.eventbrite.com/event/1210934939

Range:  The Dalton Gang Shooting Club of NH, LLC

Street Address:  232 Miller Rd, Dalton, NH  03598

Dates: Thursday & Friday, June 23-24, 2011

On-site registration opens at 8 AM.  Shoot starts at 8:30 AM.

Range Fee: NONE!

Camping available on site:  No.

Nearby camping:

Roger’s Campground
10 Rogers Campground Rd.
Lancaster NH   03584
603-788-4885
N 44°28.10598, W 71°32.6532

Hotels (centered on Roger’s):

Roger’s Motel
10 Rogers Campground Rd.
Lancaster NH   03584
603-788-4885
N 44°28.10598, W 71°32.6532

Cabot Motor Inn & Restaurant
200 Portland St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-3346 (0 miles away)

Lancaster Motor Inn
112 Main St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-4921 (1.98 miles away)

McKee Inn
186 Main St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-2061 (2.3 miles away)

Coos Motor Inn
209 Main St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-3079 (2.47 miles away)

Evergreen Motel
537 Presidential Hwy, Jefferson, NH
603-586-4449 (3.79 miles away)

Mountain View Grand Resort/Spa
101 Mountain View Rd, Whitefield, NH
603-837-2100 (5.4 miles away)

GPS:
 Latitude: N44° 22.320' (44.3720°)
Longitude: W71° 42.562' (-71.7094°)

Directions:

From I-93 North or South:
Exit 43.  Follow Route 135 North to Dalton, NH.  Take Union Road (2nd road on the right) 2 miles to Miller Road.  Turn right on Miller Road - Range 1 mile on right.

From Whitefield, NH:
Route 142 South to Route 135 South.  Follow Route 135 South to Union Road on left.  Follow Union Road to Miller Road to range.

From Lancaster, NH:
Route 135 South to Dalton, NH, to Union Road on left.  Follow Union Road to Miller Road to range.

MapQuest:  Map location of the Dalton Gang Shooting Club

State Laws of which to be aware: Check State Laws at http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Misc:  IMPORTANT! The shooting surface is hard & hot.  Please bring elbow pads and a thick shooting mat.  To avoid sunstroke, please do not dress for the beach.  Wear an undershirt, long sleeves, long pants, and a sun hat.  Bring lots of water and sun block.  Center fire rifles OK.   Lunch available at club for a small fee.  Pre-registration, below, strongly recommended.  Restaurants (centered on Roger’s):

Cabot Motor Inn & Restaurant
200 Portland St, Lancaster, NH
Website | 603-788-3346 (0 miles away)

Joshua's Grille
39 Portland St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-3939 (1.55 miles away)

Lancaster House of Pizza
95 Main St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-0964 (1.93 miles away)

North Country Family Restaurant
112 Main St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-4233 (1.98 miles away)

Scorpio's Pizzeria
180 Main St, Lancaster, NH
603-788-3660 (2.28 miles away)

SUBWAY
202 Main St # 1, Lancaster, NH
Website | 603-788-5100 (2.44 miles away)

Happy Star Restaurant
96 Bridge St # 2, Lancaster, NH
603-788-3087 (3.03 miles away)

La Trattoria
199 Mountain View Rd, Whitefield, NH
603-837-2572 (5.27 miles away)

Grandma's Kitchen (Recommended)
Lancaster Rd (Route3), Whitefield, NH
603-837-2525

For more Information Contact:  NH@AppleseedInfo.org

Registration Linkhttp://www.eventbrite.com/event/1210934939
THE SECRET OF HAPPINESS IS FREEDOM.
THE SECRET OF FREEDOM IS COURAGE.
     --  THUCYDIDES, Circa 400 B.C.

LSNL

Re: APPLESEED AT PORCFEST ON THURSDAY & FRIDAY
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:31:55 am »

Also, http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=20083.0

There is one the Saturday, & Sunday, prior in Peterborough, NH.  June 18th, and 19th.

Firewall99

• FSP Participant
    • APPLESEED PROJECT
RIFLEMAN OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:49:42 am »

If you really want to earn a Rifleman badge, sometimes it takes more than one Appleseed to get the job done.  The first Appleseed tends to uncover any equipment issues that need to be corrected.  Then you shoot the next Appleseed with all those issue corrected.  

Appleseed now has a new program that lets shooters shoot Appleseed more than once for much less cost.  It's called a Rifleman Opportunity Card.  You can read about it here:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/roc.html

A GI sling is the first thing you need.  It adds 80% stability to your position.

If I'm running a shoot, I'll usually have a bag of all the parts you need to mount a GI web sling or a comb riser.  I sell them at a slight profit to cover my carrying costs.  

The thing I can't do is get a proper sight or scope mounted during a shoot, because I'm too busy running the shoot.  If Tony is there, then you are in business.  Tony is "smithy" on the Appleseed forum and NES.  PM him for advice.

If you want iron sights, get a Tech Sight from www.tech-sights.com.

If you want a scope, you can use the weaver rail that came with your 10/22.  If you need a new rail, get a Picatinny rail instead, because it has more places to mount the scope.  Then get a low cost scope.  A fixed magnification 4 x scope is all you need.  Higher magnifications for beginners will make you fuss the shot.

If you get the scope mounted before the shoot, then I can raise the comb for you at the shoot for a minimum fee.

Either way, Appleseed will teach you how to sight in your new sighting device.  Hint:  keep the instruction booklet for your new sighting device.  You will need to know how many MOA per click your device is.

If you want to go to a shoot before Porcfest, there several shoots scheduled beforehand:

Holderness, NH - Apr 16-17   
Pelham, NH - Apr 16-17   

Pelham, NH - May 7-8   
Enfield, NH - May 21-22

Peterborough, NH - Jun 18-19
Dalton, NH - Jun 23-24   (Porcfest)

The links are here:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=NH&statename=New%20Hampshire

Hope to see you there!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:58:23 am by Firewall99 »

YetAnotherFSPer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »

Could anyone give my girlfriend and I a ride to/from the shoot, from Porcfest? We could definitely throw down for gas. Also, how would my g/f go about reserving a loaner liberty rifle? I've already got a 10/22 that I'm going to bring up to spec.

Thanks!

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »

500 rounds per day got my boys interested.  Looking forward to it!
Tu ne cede malis.

mauiguy

• Made it!! Porcfest rocks!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:01:25 pm »

My scoped 10/22 is one of the few things I'm bringing with me from the island.

Gonna have to see if I can come up with the registration fee.

Sounds like it will be a great time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:08:04 pm by mauiguy »
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." ~Samuel Adams~  
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Professor Bernardo de la Paz, _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_, by Robert Heinlien

Adrienne

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:48:35 am »

Could anyone give my girlfriend and I a ride to/from the shoot, from Porcfest? We could definitely throw down for gas. Also, how would my g/f go about reserving a loaner liberty rifle? I've already got a 10/22 that I'm going to bring up to spec.

Thanks!

Hi,

I may be able to give you a ride.  :) I'm pretty sure I'm going and will probably have a friend come along.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the proper terminology and such but does anyone know if there are shooting ranges for handguns? Is it legal for someone (me) to shoot a handgun without a permit? I'm from NY and I do not have any experience. I only shot a .22 caliber rifle in bible camp a million years ago.

Firewall99

• FSP Participant
    • APPLESEED PROJECT
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:11 pm »

[H]ow would my g/f go about reserving a loaner liberty rifle?

Thanks!

I have at least one loaner available.  I need your girlfriend's name to reserve it. 

Make sure she reads the information message at the start of this thread, and that you both dress in protective clothing--do not dress for the beach, OK?

I've already got a 10/22 that I'm going to bring up to spec.

Great idea!  Get a GI web sling installed and some decent sights (or a scope) at least.  Extra mags come in handy, too.

See you there!

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 07:29:18 pm »

Get a GI web sling installed and some decent sights (or a scope) at least. 

Are factory sights a show stopper?  I know the sling is critical and have that covered.
Tu ne cede malis.

Firewall99

• FSP Participant
    • APPLESEED PROJECT
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:17:31 pm »

Depends on which factory sights.  Ruger and a few others have no provision for windage (left or right) adjustment.

Not really a show stopper, but you'll find out how badly you want real sights at the shoot.

Just trying to help you solve as many problems as early as possible.

This is why Appleseed now has the Rifleman Opportunity Card.  Come to as many Appleseeds as you need until you shoot Rifleman for the cost of only one seed.

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 08:01:09 pm »

Depends on which factory sights.  Ruger and a few others have no provision for windage (left or right) adjustment.

Not really a show stopper, but you'll find out how badly you want real sights at the shoot.

Just trying to help you solve as many problems as early as possible.

This is why Appleseed now has the Rifleman Opportunity Card.  Come to as many Appleseeds as you need until you shoot Rifleman for the cost of only one seed.

Guess we will be learning Kentucky windage...
Tu ne cede malis.

Firewall99

• FSP Participant
    • APPLESEED PROJECT
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:46:32 pm »

So you don't need the loaner?  The loaners are all Liberty Training Rifles, which have optimum sights.

Just for the record, Appleseed does not teach "Kentucky Windage" except when we teach doping the wind. 

Our basic philosophy is to start at square one and go from there.  So we first teach shooters what a proper sight is and how to use it.  We don't want shooters to hold over.  We're trying to be more precise than that.

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 09:13:22 pm »

If anyone needs a ride from Rogers Campground to the Appleseed shoot on Thursday and Friday, look for us at site 104.  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:43:12 am by Floridian »
Tu ne cede malis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up