Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone emigrated from the UK?  (Read 7382 times)

British Freedom Lover

Has anyone emigrated from the UK?
« on: January 24, 2011, 08:40:20 am »

I'd love to move to New Hampshire from the UK, but as far as I can tell, don't have any marketable skills as far as immigration would allow - ie, I'm not a nurse or school teacher.

Has anyone else moved across from the UK? How difficult was it?

Cheers!

andysurtees

Re: Has anyone emigrated from the UK?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:59 pm »

Getting government permission to live in the US as somebody originally from the UK can be tricky if you're completely upfront about it. Even if you do, you'll be liable for US taxes on everything you do worldwide. That's no good.

I've been looking at these options:
1) Off Grid
Get a return ticket into the US as a tourist and don't board the return flight. Say goodbye to doing business in the way you might regard as normal. Rent somewhere to live from likeminded people, provide whatever security you can to them, get your income from the internet (I might do ok on this plan but a lot of people's incomes are in some way geographical) or just by the free trade of your abilities within your extended community. NH would be better than most places for this.
2) Permanent Traveller
Wiki the "three flag theory" or even the "five flag theory". Essentially, people get treated better when they're tourists, and they don't get taxed, generally. So, be a tourist everywhere. You can be a citizen of a lot of places, and a legal residedent of a lot of places. Base your business (it needn't be a huge business) somewhere else, and you're clear to travel to any country with no tax.
3) Citizenship then Tax Protester
Hoops upon Hoops, but you could become a US citizen, then just not submit tax returns. The IRS takes a completely inconsistent set of positions on this, so anything between no hassle and jail time could result.
Do your own research, i'm no expert :)

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
Re: Has anyone emigrated from the UK?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:32:35 am »

I'd love to move to New Hampshire from the UK, but as far as I can tell, don't have any marketable skills as far as immigration would allow - ie, I'm not a nurse or school teacher.

Has anyone else moved across from the UK? How difficult was it?

Cheers!

A year, about $5000 and a couple of wheelbarrows worth of paperwork.

anything