Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collaborate with CATO  (Read 2565 times)

Collaborate with CATO
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:08:47 pm »

CATO has several events on the east coast and would be a great place to network.  I've attended "CATO University" the last 2 years (it's held in San Diego for one week) and it literally changed the way I think..which ultimately got me to the FSP.

Pound for pound, I think they are the least political, most professional, and best researched think-tank out there.  FSP would do well to get them behind the effort.

antistate1190

Re: Collaborate with CATO
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:08:41 am »

CATO has several events on the east coast and would be a great place to network.  I've attended "CATO University" the last 2 years (it's held in San Diego for one week) and it literally changed the way I think..which ultimately got me to the FSP.

Pound for pound, I think they are the least political, most professional, and best researched think-tank out there.  FSP would do well to get them behind the effort.

CATO is a statist and anti-rothbardian organization. Lew Rockwell has slammed CATO several times. I say collaborate with the Mises Institute instead.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:29 am »

CATO is a statist and anti-rothbardian organization. Lew Rockwell has slammed CATO several times. I say collaborate with the Mises Institute instead.

I'm not "rothbardian", but I literally used to live down the street from CATO. Can't say I was ever terribly impressed with the organization--not to speak of their various presenters. I think Jason Sorens did a presentation for them once. The last time I spoke with CATO (2009) they weren't interested in doing anything with us.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:31:53 am »

I have tried to get them to partner with us, have the FSP advertise with them, and have them be a sponsor of past Liberty Forums.
All have been rebuffed.
When I contacted individuals at CATO... all were enthusiastic about speaking at the Liberty Forum (except 1)

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:43:47 am »

I've only attended their signature annual events, and am sure they line up the best speakers for Cato University.. I suggest getting them.  They are obviously libertarian, which appears too mainstream/statist for some at FSP.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »

I've only attended their signature annual events, and am sure they line up the best speakers for Cato University.. I suggest getting them.  They are obviously libertarian, which appears too mainstream/statist for some at FSP.

yeah the speakers have all been supportive of the FSP.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »

I worked at Cato back in the summer of 1997. They're a good organization, but very DC-focused. I suspect that is one of the main reasons they don't want to partner formally with the FSP. However, they are going to help promote the next edition of the Freedom Index, which will indirectly help the FSP.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Steve

• FSP Board Member
  • Administrator
  • La Vero vin liberigos
    • Elegant Solutions
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 04:25:02 am »

I became a libertarian thanks to the Cato Institute. By some measures (e.g. media citations) they are one of the top think tanks in the US, a stunning achievement for a libertarian organization. I have been a Cato sponsor for over 15 years. For a few months I lived near DC, and I attended a few Cato events. I even bought three copies of P.J. O'Rourke's book, so as to have more time to speak with him while he signed them. He was unreceptive, as was David Boaz (who has since been quoted making an anti-FSP comment).

Like John Stossel, Cato had a long uphill battle to achieve their position of influence, and they don't want to risk it by associating with wingnuts. As Jason pointed out, they are focused on national issues. However, Cato could do more to support us within their limits. They could throw their lesser comrades the occasional bone. It seems to me that they simply don't take us seriously. Maybe that will improve after the success of free-staters in the 2010 midterm elections. Maybe they would take us more seriously if we shrugged: from my conversations with FSP participants, I know a lot of us are Cato sponsors. 1776, we have talked about Cato a lot, from the FSP's inception. Unfortunately, we have no easy way of organizing. I would like to see a section in FSP user profiles for Affiliations. Then we could quickly find who is a member of what organization, and take some collective action.

To the Mises promoter / Cato hater: yes, Lew Rockwell slams *any* organization in the "Kochtopus". Internal conflicts in a movement are natural, as leaders vie for status and the mantel of leadership, but they only make us weaker. The FSP doesn't need to take sides, and if you think that Cato is "statist", I suggest you compare the FSP's mission statements with theirs. We're both libertarian big tents, trying to succeed at our missions without getting bogged down in the debatertarian conflicts that have hobbled other organizations. Another phenomenon: to a degree, like-minded organizations compete with each for influence and donor cash, so some of these organizations are not eager to embrace each other, or the FSP....
Pages: [1]   Go Up