Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digusted with NYC  (Read 7021 times)

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Digusted with NYC
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 03:42:19 pm »

The letter of intent did confuse me a bit on the part of promoting small govt. What constitutes activism ? Is it something as simple as voting for small govt officials or does FSP require/encourage you to go out and practice civil disobedience ?

How would you choose to "'promote" smaller government?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2010, 04:05:08 pm »

The letter of intent did confuse me a bit on the part of promoting small govt. What constitutes activism ? Is it something as simple as voting for small govt officials or does FSP require/encourage you to go out and practice civil disobedience ?

do what you think is best.

(there are some who come here and do nothing.  that is well and good but might as well stay home.

If you are coming to be active (in whatever realm) you see fit... come and do it.

If you are just going to come and vote 2 times per year... it would be nice.. but that isn't really an activist in my opinion.

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2010, 05:23:17 pm »

depends on what you mean by 'activist' Bazil.  Are you saying you do nothing at all to make NH government smaller or spread the words of liberty?

Have her read the statement of intent and see if she agrees with it.

There are more ways to promote liberty other than activism, which to me means some kind of active display that strangers can see and recognize you are pro-liberty.  I think many people are turned off by this approach.  It's fine for some people, but not for all.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Andvari

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2010, 06:09:18 pm »

How would you choose to "'promote" smaller government?

Vote. Help out on campaigns.

I see on other threads FS'ers (like the Keene anarchists) who dont vote. While i understand the philosophical argument for not wanting anything to do with the State, i think its a small sacrifice to make. Its once a year, takes a few minutes. Smaller Gov't is better then the status quo. We need to get as many libertarians as we can in the legislatures, so we can start repealing laws. Ultimately, i'd like to see NH secede from the union...but thats another topic.

Also, i'd like to do my small part in helping other FS'ers get into NH more quickly. I plan on buying 20-30 unit apartment building(s) and offering discount rates to FS'ers, especially those in need of help transitioning/seeking employment, etc. I might even put a large FSP billboard on the roof  ;D

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 06:11:07 pm by Andvari »

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2010, 06:18:38 pm »

depends on what you mean by 'activist' Bazil.  Are you saying you do nothing at all to make NH government smaller or spread the words of liberty?

There are more ways to promote liberty other than activism, which to me means some kind of active display that strangers can see and recognize you are pro-liberty.  I think many people are turned off by this approach.  It's fine for some people, but not for all.

doesn't that mean you are an activist?

Or can I ask what is your approach?  How are you helping make government smaller?  (or am I just confused?)

Bazil

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2010, 07:52:57 pm »

Or can I ask what is your approach?  How are you helping make government smaller?  (or am I just confused?)

No because I seldom do something that would show stranger I am pro-liberty.  Additionally to that I'm not in extrovert (except maybe on the internet under an alias).  Many times when you reveal to someone your position they shut you out before you can speak to them.  I think it's better to know someone so they have a good impression of you before you reveal your position.  I have found this is a very good approach to bringing people who may have statist leanings onto the side of liberty.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2010, 08:33:39 pm »

No because I seldom do something that would show stranger I am pro-liberty.  Additionally to that I'm not in extrovert (except maybe on the internet under an alias).  Many times when you reveal to someone your position they shut you out before you can speak to them.  I think it's better to know someone so they have a good impression of you before you reveal your position.  I have found this is a very good approach to bringing people who may have statist leanings onto the side of liberty.

I agree it is better to know someone.. but isn't that still an activst?

Still confused.
cuz I am thinking.. if you do 'nothing' and tell no one.. you might as well not have signed up for the FSP... or am I missing something.

Andvari

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2010, 08:45:10 pm »

That's a form of activism, just low-key. Nothing wrong with that. I dont think my fiance could even do that much b/c she doesnt speak english. Ha !

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 08:57:47 pm »

You could volunteer to do behind scenes the work for the FSP.
You could volunteer to do behind the scenes work for dozens of NH orgs.

Bazil

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2010, 11:53:06 pm »

if you do 'nothing' and tell no one.. you might as well not have signed up for the FSP
I promote liberty don't worry, I just think shouting it from the roof tops isn't the best way to do it.  Especially if you want to "convert" people who are already here.

Also I didn't sign up, I'm a "Freestate Pioneer."

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2010, 04:21:27 pm »

Voting may have some sway... but really just a letter/e*mail to your State Rep/Senator can do a lot.
I've sat through, and even testified on some, pro-liberty bills that are shot down in open session.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up