Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NH needs a liberty college  (Read 6142 times)

antistate1190

NH needs a liberty college
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:49:14 am »

There should be a college in NH with a pro-liberty mission. There are religious colleges and statist-liberal colleges so we should brainstorm a liberty college, preferably in an area like Concord, Rochester or Petersborough. It can be humanities-based but with an emphasis on free markets and personal freedom.

Just throwing this out there for anyone.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
Re: NH needs a liberty college
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »

Sounds good, but I don't think the liberty community in NH has the financial resources or staffing to start something like that yet. Maybe in a few years ...

You could have 1 or 2 local professors, and some visiting professors from the Austrian School.
I agree about a nice central southern NH location.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:56 pm »

Is there consumer demand for it?

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:54:03 pm »

There is a market for a liberal arts college aimed at mid-upper middle "income" families.  They generally get very little in student aid--other than loans--and their kids are sometimes a bit aimless.

They anticipate spending $20-30k a year out of pocket, and often get less than stellar results.  Also, liberal arts colleges are generally not accredited, and you can place one near almost any downtown shopping area.

Three brick buildings, and you're in business.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:07:22 am »

There is a market for a liberal arts college aimed at mid-upper middle "income" families.  They generally get very little in student aid--other than loans--and their kids are sometimes a bit aimless.

They anticipate spending $20-30k a year out of pocket, and often get less than stellar results.  Also, liberal arts colleges are generally not accredited, and you can place one near almost any downtown shopping area.

Three brick buildings, and you're in business.

What kind of value are you providing to these people?

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 12:51:38 am »

None, because we don't have a liberal arts college set up.  Honestly, I don't see any economic value to a BA, and neither does the job market.  Folks with a BA don't earn any more than folks without one.

Nevertheless, I am interested in history, language, art, music, business, and other issues that are taught at those colleges.  It would be nice to finish my degree (since I'm half way there) without having to fill out any more FAFSA forms.  It would be great to actually learn something worthwhile without having to run out and buy the latest $180 textbook that offers nothing more than generic information and problem sets that are only slightly changed from the previous year.

It would also be good to be able to take a class where it is possible to earn an 'A' without having to join the two-thirds of the class that has found all of the answers online somewhere.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

antistate1190

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:03:44 am »

We could make it a "free school" with no degrees or tuition but set up by people voluntarily.

Something like this "free school' in Boston comes to mind: http://corvidcollege.wikidot.com/

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:21:48 am »

We could make it a "free school" with no degrees or tuition but set up by people voluntarily.

Something like this "free school' in Boston comes to mind: http://corvidcollege.wikidot.com/

You mean like this:
http://informalu.org/

NH has no need of a 'regular' liberty college  until we get a lot more people here.

And yes BAs are still useful.  Some companies wants them or they won't hire you.

one can argue that you don't get an education but many companies still want that box checked.

BigJoe

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:24:37 am »

one can argue that you don't get an education but many companies still want that box checked.

the companies do not hire you because of the knowledge that you acquired in school, but because they know that you are capable of learning things well enough and are good enough at following directions to get a degree.  Going to college doesn't really 'make' you smarter, but in general its a signal of accomplishment.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 04:32:58 pm »

the companies do not hire you because of the knowledge that you acquired in school, but because they know that you are capable of learning things well enough and are good enough at following directions to get a degree.  Going to college doesn't really 'make' you smarter, but in general its a signal of accomplishment.

sorta I was once not hired because I had different writing on my piece of paper.

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 11:51:41 pm »

NH has no need of a 'regular' liberty college  until we get a lot more people here.

Students can always be "imported" and "exported"...

creaganlios

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:01:28 am »

What does one do with a Degree in Liberty?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 08:24:46 am »

I think that the idea of informal U is great.

It is just too too early for a 'real college'.

BigJoe

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:49:59 am »

What does one do with a Degree in Liberty?

move to Keene.

But I don't think that is what is being talked about.  I think its more like a regular college, but small, and with professors that teach from a libertarian perspective as opposed to the modern liberal perspective that dominates most universities today.  You could offer majors in economics, philosophy, political science, history, education, and then you would probably need a tech side too since that is what a great deal of libertarians are interested in as a career path.  A liberty college would just be a way to work in cooler electives or an interesting double major.

And I would say that we are decades away from something like this.

maybe a smaller goal would be to get a prominent Austrian, or at least a free-market economist in the econ dept. at Dartmouth.  Both Geithner and Paulson went to Dartmouth, maybe a future Secretary of the Treasury is there right now, and maybe a free market economist could have some influence on that kid's young mind.  At the very least it would give a great excuse for the top brains in the young liberty movement to go to school in NH.  Although the other schools in NH don't have half the prestige as Dartmouth it would probably be easier to try and influence them to bring in some liberty minded professors.

creaganlios

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 10:21:35 am »

It makes far more sense to find qualified libertarian instructors to start applying for open positions at one or more targetted colleges.  The Business dept at Keene State uses more adjuncts than full-time instructors.  The community college system is the same. 

And FWIW, even though colleges do tend to have an out-of-proportionally large number of statist viewpoints, that never stopped them from hiring me to teach Economics at KSC, which I did as an adjunct for a number of years.  In fact, one prominent FK member was one of my students :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up