Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corporate stuff  (Read 4363 times)

fubar

• I'm a llama!....AM NOT!
Corporate stuff
« on: August 11, 2002, 12:41:17 am »

I'm not sure where to post this type of inquiry, so here it sits:

I noted that the Q&A section #13 states that the FSP (Being the Free State Project, Inc.) is 'quite loath' to speculate on property, as that would be 'ripe for conflict and controversy'.   The Q&A section #13 then states...'However, if individuals want to do this on an entrepreneurial level after the initial move has taken place, they are of course free to do so'.

Nothing personal, of course, but this basically says...not much.  

My questions would be: has FSP, or any of its Board of Directors, recently purchased property (loath or not)  in any of the top 10 states currently being considered for the final selection?  Would the board members be willing to sign affidavits stating what property they have purchased within, let's say, the last 60 days?  And/or would FSP and the Directors be willing to come up with some other control mechanism for giving confidence to future potential members that this is not a scam (granted, it would go down in the books as one of the most convincing, coniving, most underhanded scams in history...but still...a girls gotta look out for herself).  

Along those lines:  Why do the by-laws call for five Directors, but there are only four listed?

And one more thing:  The final vote; the bylaws state "All ballots shall be made public to avoid subterfuge".   Any plans for an audit of the vote?  (I wouldn't suggest Arthur Andersen, but some such entity?).

I guess what I'm asking...this isn't just some master plan by one individual disquising him/herself as many individuals in an attempt to gain fame and fortune....is it?  After all, the FSP corp is registered in Nevada...land of the undercover corp.

Geez, I feel paranoid!  What the heck made me so anal?

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
Re:Corporate stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2002, 01:11:21 am »

I'm one of the Directors, so I'll take a stab at this.

My questions would be: has FSP, or any of its Board of Directors, recently purchased property (loath or not)  in any of the top 10 states currently being considered for the final selection?  Would the board members be willing to sign affidavits stating what property they have purchased within, let's say, the last 60 days?  And/or would FSP and the Directors be willing to come up with some other control mechanism for giving confidence to future potential members that this is not a scam (granted, it would go down in the books as one of the most convincing, coniving, most underhanded scams in history...but still...a girls gotta look out for herself).

The FSP itself has totally open books to any donor.  You can see every penny that has come in and gone out.  Some donors have chosen to remain anonymous, but our expenses (small as they are) are available for your perusal should you choose to, um, cough something up.

I think it's a little much to ask an unemployed grad student, an unemployed volunteer, a working mom and a freelance illustrator to give you a total accounting of their finances.  I will only speak for myself when I say I would of course sign an affadavit, but how on earth would we be able to predict which state was going to be chosen at this point anyway?  That's too sophisticated for me.

Along those lines:  Why do the by-laws call for five Directors, but there are only four listed?

One resigned recently (you can search the Yahoo board for messages by Robert Vroman) when he got a new job and didn't have enough time to give to the project, and we're working on replacing him.  That should happen within the next 2 weeks.

And one more thing:  The final vote; the bylaws state "All ballots shall be made public to avoid subterfuge".   Any plans for an audit of the vote?  (I wouldn't suggest Arthur Andersen, but some such entity?).

This will undoubtedly be tricky.  Somehow we will have to have a very secure method, whether we do it online or paper.  Getting the ballots audited will, I suppose, depend on whether we have enough money, which we usually do not (to date, anyway).  We're not so close to that point that we've developed a concrete strategy for dealing with this -- we figured it would be nice to try and recruit the members first.  No sense crossing that bridge until we come to it.

I guess what I'm asking...this isn't just some master plan by one individual disquising him/herself as many individuals in an attempt to gain fame and fortune....is it?  After all, the FSP corp is registered in Nevada...land of the undercover corp.

Yes, of course it's a huge scam, wow, you're the first to figure it out! ;)

No, we're incorporated in Nevada because our Treasurer lives in Nevada.

And we can't possibly all be one person because everyone loves Jason, but everyone hates me... ::)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2002, 01:48:34 am by Elizabeth »

debra

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2002, 01:43:23 pm »

I'm not sure where to post this type of inquiry, so here it sits:

Hey, here is as good as any.

I noted that the Q&A section #13 states that the FSP (Being the Free State Project, Inc.) is 'quite loath' to speculate on property, as that would be 'ripe for conflict and controversy'.   The Q&A section #13 then states...'However, if individuals want to do this on an entrepreneurial level after the initial move has taken place, they are of course free to do so'.

Nothing personal, of course, but this basically says...not much.  

My questions would be: has FSP, or any of its Board of Directors, recently purchased property (loath or not)  in any of the top 10 states currently being considered for the final selection?

I doubt it's top 10 (I live here and even I don't like it as a Free State), but I've owned my residence in Nevada since '98.

Would the board members be willing to sign affidavits stating what property they have purchased within, let's say, the last 60 days?  

Not speaking for others, but sure, I would.  That would be...none since '98! :)

And/or would FSP and the Directors be willing to come up with some other control mechanism for giving confidence to future potential members that this is not a scam (granted, it would go down in the books as one of the most convincing, coniving, most underhanded scams in history...but still...a girls gotta look out for herself).  

Any ideas? (I'm not sure exactly what you had in mind).

As Elizabeth mentioned, we had 5, Robert resigned, and then there were four. Hopefully we can get a replacement shortly.  

Hmmm, not something we had discussed, but it might be a good idea....

Since I'm the only one that lives here, that would be me.  And quite honestly, I'm too damn busy to be an undercover cop.

If it helps, I have a standing invitation that anyone in Vegas is welcome to email me and we can get together. (Hell, you can visit my house if you aren't allergic to dogs, cats, or kids!)

Geez, I feel paranoid!  What the heck made me so anal?

Probably the large number of scams on the internet.  I know this guy in Zaire who needs to move large sums of cash out of the country, and he needs *your* help...  ;D
"Society has always honored its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."

fubar

• I'm a llama!....AM NOT!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2002, 10:07:39 pm »

Here's my pet working theory:  FSP is Jason's very clever poly-sci experiment towards his PhD dissertation  :P

As to the vote audit; I suppose, on the low-end level, the members could vote for an Audit Board from among its ranks.  That would be about as sure as paying a gazillion bucks for an Arthur Andersen.

Regarding the affidavits of property purchased;  It's much easier to just recognize that the Directors are messing with a bunch of half crazed revolutionary's.  Nobody would be that insane!  But, then again, there are a few of us that have been screwed because we didn't cross all the T's and dot all the I's...

Anyhow, I am in no position to ask for unusual or burdensome steps.  Maybe when/if I sign up, but not now.  

I'm glad to get the quick replies, thanks.  Maybe FSP can start putting together a master plan for the 'final steps', to include some of the above mentioned issues.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 09:51:51 pm »

Haha!  Some other people have suggested that theory regarding my dissertation. ;)  But the fact is that political science is very left-wing, and if my affiliation with the FSP were to become publicly known, I could be blacklisted from academia.  I've been a libertarian activist for...wow, something like 8 years now.  If you're interested in affirming my crazed libertarian credentials, you can email Wayne Dymacek at Washington & Lee University, who was faculty advisor for the College Libertarians group I founded, or Matt Zwolinski at University of Arizona, who's a fellow crazed libertarian alum of Institute for Humane Studies student seminars, or Jeffrey Friedman at Columbia University, who tried to convert me from crazed libertarianism to utilitarianism, or my parents in Houston, for whom my crazed libertarianism has always been a cause for concern, or...I can give you a number of other names. ;D

And no, my wife & I don't own any property at all, much less in any of the states under consideration.

By the way, if anyone is interested in finding out how the people in the Board of Directors became involved in the Board of Directors, check out the archives from August-September 2001 in the Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freestateproject - these were among the many people involved in the FSP at the very start and who had particularly intelligent and insightful things to say and were dedicated to doing the work necessary to get the FSP moving.  I simply sent them an email and invited them to join an ad-hoc "brain trust" that would do the legwork necessary to get the thing moving.  Later, when we decided to incorporate, some of them agreed to join the Board; others preferred to stay out for reluctance of having to give personal information to the government, but they still participate in "brain trust" discussions, even though the "brain trust" doesn't have any formal role anymore, and for all intents and purposes has expanded to include many other people.

Anyone who's interested in being on the Board, being an Officer, chairing a Committee, just has to display intelligence, diligence, and commitment to the FSP's becoming a reality.  This is a pure meritocracy.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up