Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liberty Caravan moving expenses  (Read 2832 times)

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
Liberty Caravan moving expenses
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:24:28 pm »

I seem to recall the Liberty Caravan people promising to post the different ways they moved their stuff to NH and how much each method cost. Does anyone know if this information has been posted anywhere?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

ptb

• Voluntarist Freethinker
Re: Liberty Caravan moving expenses
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »

Thank you for the reminder!   :)

I rented a U-Haul 5x8 trailer to tow behind our Subaru in Mountain View, CA with the intention of dropping it off in Manchester, NH.  The cost was $676.11.  That included 10 days (I think) for travel time, but the U-Haul representative was able to change that (without charge) to 13 days.  Just tell the rep how long you plan on the trip taking and they may be able to adjust it for you (or not, we may have just had a really nice U-Haul rep helping us).

Our things wouldn't all fit in the U-Haul and we couldn't tow the next larger trailer (our car is limited to 2500 lbs. for towing), so we ended up returning the trailer and being charged for a single day in-town rental instead ($96.58 once insurance and other fees were included).

(I'm using our credit card statement for this data and not the original U-Haul contract, so I may be leaving out some miscellaneous info.)

We bought at least $150 in packing material (boxes, padlocks, etc.) from U-Haul in addition to all the boxes we had saved from our previous moves.

Instead of towing a U-Haul trailer, we ended up using ABF Freight System's U-Pack ReloCube which is a 6-ft x 7-ft x 8-ft locking shipping container which you pack and they'll ship to your destination.  They can deliver them door-to-door or from shipping terminal-to-shipping terminal or other combinations depending on how convenient you want to make it for yourself.

We packed the ReloCube at the San Jose, CA ABF shipping terminal (since we had the U-Haul trailer for a day anyway and didn't have time to have the ReloCube delivered to our apartment) and had it delivered to our door on the other end.  In other words, terminal-to-door.  Cost: $1939.

Gas (for the Subaru with a coffee table on top -- ruining our otherwise decent gas milage) -
3/6 Cupertino, CA: $35.16
3/6 Bakersfield, CA: $49.22
3/7 Barstow, CA: $23.37
3/8 Las Vegas, NV: $28.10
3/8 Flagstaff, AZ: $46.19
3/8 Milan, NM: $32.33
3/9 Albuquerque, NM: $16.19
3/9 Amarillo, TX: $38.46
3/10 Oklahoma City, OK: $33.33
3/10 Alma, AR: $35.76
3/10 Forrest City, AR: $36.04
3/11 Jackson, TN: $23.94
3/12 Nashville, TN: $21.97
3/12 Knoxville, TN: $22.80
3/13 Asheville, NC: $18.15
3/13 Fairfield, VA: 45.29
3/13 Aberdeen, MD: $40.00
3/15 West Chester, PA: $26.71
3/15 Manchester, CT: $40.09

Total: $613.10 for gas alone

We also had our cat with us, which meant we needed to stay in hotels which allowed for pets (and generally couldn't stay with friends along the way).  Our favorite hotel chain to stay in was Drury Inn.  Good rates, always allowed pets, and when we "lost" our cat in the hotel for an hour and a half in Tennessee, they helped look for him along with us.  They didn't pay me to recommend them either -- they're just good folks -- highly recommended.

3/7 Howard Johnson, Las Vegas, NV: $56 + $20 pet = $76
3/9 Drury Inn, Albuquerque, NM: $124.15
3/10 Holiday Inn Express, Bethany, OK: $134.27
3/11 Drury Inn, Memphis, TN: $127.53
3/12 Drury Inn, Nashville, TN: $152.31
3/13 Renaissance Hotel, Asheville, NC: $144.16

Total: $758.42 for lodging

We did end up splitting the cost of hotel rooms with other caravaners (caravanites?) and stayed with family as we arrived in the northeast.

The last big expense was food.  We ate out almost every meal and snacks on the road added up.  I'll let you figure out how much it generally costs to eat out.  (The info I have isn't quite accurate for the actual cost since we paid for others some times and they paid for us.)

I hope some of that information is helpful!

- Peter

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
Re: Liberty Caravan moving expenses
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:50:11 pm »

Thanks, Peter!
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything