Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions and Salutations from Washington State  (Read 32845 times)

time4liberty

Re: Questions and Salutations from Washington State
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 11:19:29 pm »

Almost no earthquakes at all ... too much granite.

I remember feeling an earthquake as a kid. The epicenter was somewhere in Quebec, or Ontario. We felt it in eastern Maine - it rattled the dishes in the dish drainer for a few seconds. I think it was a category 6 or 7, however they say that.

I'm not sure granite makes earthquakes less common - that would depend on the number of faults. But it does make an earthquake of a certain Richter scale number (I think that's the name) less severe than the same number somewhere with a different depth of bedrock ( I can't remember which way it goes on the depth).

Yep, there was one earthquake when I was a kid -- maybe the same one. It made the fruit basked swing a bit. That's it.

And I lived in NH for 18 years ...

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 11:43:31 pm »

Kick ass, another Washingtonian!

IMHO, Manchester, Nashua, Concord, and Portsmouth are the best for being pedestrian friendly, although most towns with more than 5,000 seem pretty well set up for foot traffic.  I believe that Manchester also has the most extensive mass transit I've seen, though in Portsmouth, you don't really need any.  In fact, some folks in Manch and the seacoast just get around by bike, which is fine.  I've done it in Seabrook (as do others) though there aren't really solid accommodations in Seabrook for bicyclists... other than the side of the road and very well built sidewalks.  It's more foot friendly that bike friendly--except for short trips to the beach, which are great.

Actually, Seabrook is a bit like a smaller version of Ballard, if you've been out that way.  It's kind of a small, ocean front town dealing with big box development.

But yes, New England towns really are set up much better for foot traffic--mainly because most of the streets and blocks were set up at a time when most folks didn't have cars.  Before conventional, euclidean zoning, developers had to create the beautiful, mixed-use town centers if they wanted to attract pedestrian shoppers.  Those town centers are everywhere, and many residents either don't have cars or rarely use them.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 06:47:27 am »

Those town centers are everywhere, and many residents either don't have cars or rarely use them.

I think most residents own cars.

If you are not in one of the cities... you need a car.

The towns in NH are small. The town centers are small.  You get 5-6 stores in the centers if you wanted something else you will be sol.  you will also I guess need a job so you would be limited to those town centers.

Live in a town= need a car.
Live in a city =  depends but you can do it.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »

I take it that no one told him as a resident he is a member of the state militia? LOL

Is this for real or a joke?

No joke: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/VIII/110-B/110-B-1.htm

"The unorganized militia shall consist of all able-bodied residents of the state who are 18 years of age or older, who are, or have declared their intention to become, citizens of the United States, and who are not serving in the national guard or the state guard."

so close!
I like to sort them out before they move. Saves them money in the long run (and it is just fun to play with them).
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 01:59:47 pm »

Jeff LaGrange -- not positive how I should respond. I am unsure how this is a money saving option? But if you are just messing with me I can sort of appreciate that as I grew up with a lot of brothers. I believe you referred to me as a 'them' which suggests groups in opposition. That is more disturbing to me than any militia issue.

I have got no problem being in a militia as long as I am on defense defending something I like, as opposed to the National Guard being used by the President to further a political agenda in some far away land. This is not a big enough issue to prevent me from moving. However I would like to reserve the right to not serve in a militia if I disagree with the leadership.

Thanks.

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 02:16:11 pm »

As far as earthquakes go I survived the Nisqually quake back in 2001. It was only a 6.8. However I can assure you that I thought I was done for. I got up from my chair and positioned myself in my bedroom doorway. I grabbed each side of the doorway and held on. It is an interesting thing to go through when I kept smashing both sides of the doorway involuntarily. It sounded like the big old 5 story building I was in was being picked up and dropped on the ground over and over again. It's like the Grand Canyon, you have to experience it to understand the enormity.

I read that NH gets on average 2 tornadoes every year. If I am fortunate I will experience one and not be hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Nisqually_earthquake

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »

@Max -- are you from Washington? Are there a lot of rejects from the Evergreen state out that way?

It sounds more and more likely Manchester will be the start of my NH adventure. Besides the Taproom is right next to where the Monarchs play. Another reason I want to move is people just don't understand hockey out this way. On TV basketball and baseball always override hockey unless one tunes into CBC. How do the local channels handle sports in NH? I bet the Patriots are big. Do you get the sports out of NY?

What you say about the history and how the towns were setup is very appealing to me.

@Dreepa -- presently I am aiming for minimal overhead. Walking is the best, then bike, then the bus. But I do not entertain the fantasy of riding my bike in the winter.

Thanks

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »

Jeff LaGrange -- not positive how I should respond. I am unsure how this is a money saving option? But if you are just messing with me I can sort of appreciate that as I grew up with a lot of brothers. I believe you referred to me as a 'them' which suggests groups in opposition. That is more disturbing to me than any militia issue.

I have got no problem being in a militia as long as I am on defense defending something I like, as opposed to the National Guard being used by the President to further a political agenda in some far away land. This is not a big enough issue to prevent me from moving. However I would like to reserve the right to not serve in a militia if I disagree with the leadership.

Thanks.
I screw with everyone.  Welcome aboard !
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 10:22:00 pm »

rejects?  Are you referring to me as one?

Not a lot of folks from the pacific northwest in the Granite State, eh.  It was easy to convince northwesterners to get involved in the fsp back in 2002-03, but when New Hampshire got picked, most dropped out.  The general assumption by New Hampshire promoters was that, if they were willing to move to a western state, but not a northeastern one, then they must not care much about liberty.

I'm not saying that I agreed (wanted a two-state strategy), but opinions of participants have never driven FSP Board decision making.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 12:34:53 am »

Well I know for sure Washington state would be out of the question for a project state. Too much government. Entitlement mentality abounds and elections are pretty much decided by Seattle. Not sure what state would be good for freedom here on the left coast. Colorado or Alaska would be my bet.

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 11:37:08 pm »

maxxoccupancy, are you from Canada, eh?

Jeff LaGrange, Thanks and no worries.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 08:35:32 pm »

What?  What are you talking about?

I'm am from America, where everybody has a gun.

Washington would definitely be doable, you know.  I wish that I could go back and network now, knowing what I know about state politics.  I'd probably open a printshop and get all of the proliberty candidates their first 50 yardsigns in June--when they're thinking about other things.  If you get enough people to run for local office, then the good locals can run for State Legislature, and you pretty much take the state back from the political good ol' boy network that has stolen our state government over the last thirty years.

Mdj

• Mark Douglas Jacobsen
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »

I heard NH has a 'head tax'. Is this the area's tax on services like hotels? Or is it a polling tax?

A friend of mine told me this and I was unsure what she meant. Could someone please explain?

Thanks,
Mark

Shamrock

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:12 pm »

Welcome! I'm from Kitsap county myself! Though im not in nh yet... But knowing where youre coming from, my impression is that nh generally is a litte cooler in the winter (id guess similar in the summer) but much less rainy that W Washington.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 10:21:59 pm »

I heard NH has a 'head tax'. Is this the area's tax on services like hotels? Or is it a polling tax?

There is no "per capita" tax. There is a rooms & meals tax, which is a sales tax for hotels and restaurants.

I have no idea what she may have meant by "head tax".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up