Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing camping supplies for future movers after Porcfest?  (Read 3456 times)

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast

I will be flying to Manchester for Porcfest 2010 and buying camping supplies in NH.
I plan to move to NH in 2011.

Is anyone on this forum (either in NH or elsewhere that is driving to and from Porcfest) willing to store camping supplies for future movers for cheap (in order to save money on shipping back home) and if so what would you charge?
Other threads have offered other suggestions like shipping them back via UPS or checking them as luggage on the return flight. I appreciate the advice and help, but in this post I am just trying to explore the cost and availability of the option of leaving the camping stuff in NH until I move there. I would even be willing to donate the supplies to charity if anyone has a good suggestion for how and who.
Thanks.
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Storing camping supplies for future movers after Porcfest?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:24:47 am »

I might take them and store them for you.

OnLifeAndLiberty.com - Erik

• Give trade a chance!
    • On Life and Liberty
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:34:53 pm »

I had a similar thought, but then I realized Wal-Mart sells tents for $20 so I can just toss it in the garbage after Porc Fest... no need to store =)

If they could only get rid of that damn minimum wage law I'm sure my tent would be more like $15!! So much lost utility...

Sovereign Curtis

• I <3 PorcFest
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:13:43 am »

I had a similar thought, but then I realized Wal-Mart sells tents for $20 so I can just toss it in the garbage after Porc Fest... no need to store =)

If they could only get rid of that damn minimum wage law I'm sure my tent would be more like $15!! So much lost utility...

You get what you pay for. Be sure to pick up a couple water proof tarps to throw over your $20 tent.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

kamil

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 10:51:27 am »

You get what you pay for. Be sure to pick up a couple water proof tarps to throw over your $20 tent.

Seconded. There is a reason why other tents sell for $100+ :-). While at Walmart, also get some waterproofing spray and seam sealer :D.

sandm000

• Brian
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:31:35 pm »

My $20 wally world (Ozark Trail) tent lasted, gee I still seem to have it 5 porcfests later. Although if you were just going to through your tent away, I'd take it and give it to some prospective mover next year.

*To be fair, one year our tent flooded from the bottom up, my then pregnant wife had to sleep in the car and I resealed the tent the next day.
**To be doubly fair, I've upgraded my tent since then because there are more people to put into it now than there were 5 porcfests ago.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:33:14 pm by sandm000 »
A government is not legitimate merely because it exists. 
-Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

The government's War on Poverty has transformed poverty from a short-term misfortune into a career choice.-Harry Browne

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work.-Milton Friedman

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 04:17:20 pm »

I bought a 6-person tent at Wal-mart a few years ago for $50 and it was keeping water out better than a lot of other tents.  Some water still got in and made a puddle right under the door during a REALLY heavy rainstorm one year but I thought that was typical.  I'm always elevated off the floor on an air mattress and I just put things away from the door if I'm worried about them getting wet.  This tent has served me well through a couple years of Burning Porcs, Porcfests, and Live Free or Die festivals.  I don't really understand how people can have so much water get into their tents, even if they're cheap.  Makes me wonder if they're setting them up correctly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up