Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for land  (Read 3743 times)

WeWantLiberty

• We Want Liberty
Looking for land
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:32:59 am »

My wife and I are thinking about living in liberty in New Hampshire.  Do you have a lot of farms up there?  I’d like to find 2 to 5 acres of land for us to live on (preferably with a house already built).  We’d also like to live close enough for us to commute for work (30 to 45 minutes away the most).  I am about to get my Bachelors in Computer Networking while my wife is getting her masters in accounting, along with her CPA license.  What do you think our chances are of finding work/property in order to match what we’re looking for?  We’re planning a summer trip to NH to start looking around, but I was hoping we could get some suggestions to help make our trip more productive.  Thanks a lot in advance for any help you guys can provide!
The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets. - Will Rogers
http://www.WeWantLiberty.com

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
Re: Looking for land
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 06:51:21 am »

Sure, it will not be a problem to find what you have described.

Most properties in rural towns are 2-5 acres anyway, so that's easy.  Depending on location and town, prices for a modest home can run from $175-275K.  Obviously prices will vary widely depending on a number of factors, including square footage, location, age and condition of home, size, usefulness of property, local schools and taxes, etc.

You should be concerned about obtaining financing in today's restrictive lending market.  With new jobs/careers, that may prove to be an obstacle.

We often recommend people rent here for 6-12 months before purchasing. I can help you with all the above.

Good luck and welcome home!  You'll love the Free State.

Mark
Porcupine Realtor
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

WeWantLiberty

• We Want Liberty
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:46:36 am »

I appreciate the advice!  Showing up to rent is probably the best thing to do.

Jason
The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets. - Will Rogers
http://www.WeWantLiberty.com

SonOfLiberty

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:10:28 pm »

Sure, it will not be a problem to find what you have described.

Most properties in rural towns are 2-5 acres anyway, so that's easy.  Depending on location and town, prices for a modest home can run from $175-275K.  Obviously prices will vary widely depending on a number of factors, including square footage, location, age and condition of home, size, usefulness of property, local schools and taxes, etc.

You should be concerned about obtaining financing in today's restrictive lending market.  With new jobs/careers, that may prove to be an obstacle.

We often recommend people rent here for 6-12 months before purchasing. I can help you with all the above.

Good luck and welcome home!  You'll love the Free State.

Mark
Porcupine Realtor

Hi Mark,

I'm curious myself about the same things, though wondering if plots of 20 to 40 acres of arable land are unheard of or prohibitive in cost?  Ideally I'd like to open some kind of produce farm with a small store front (think a local farmer's market of sorts) or "pick your own" type orchard, or even (if possible, need to research) a small winery (if grapes are all over the place in PA, is it safe to assume that NH is favorable for them?  So many questions I need to research, heh).  I've no idea what land goes for there in rural areas compared to here in central Ohio, and I'm aware that there are an awful lot of factors that come into play that make answering that difficult.

Of all of my skills, I think the most appreciated by most people would be the ability to create good tasting alcoholic beverages.  Farming is a close second though.  :)

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:19:52 pm »

Search page that specifically targets farms and larger acreage properties.

http://jmazehosting.com/farms_barns/index.php

This might help give you a rough feeling for cost and availability.

weatherford

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:35:30 am »

Well, Mark (porc realtor) can describe my frustration at finding affordable farmland with a decent house/barn etc (that doesn't need to be re-built. Been there, done that on re-building and do NOT want to do it again - too old!!)

Unfortunately, you get a much better bang for the buck when it comes to farmland if you look in VT or (horrors!) central NY :'(

Many of the old NH farms have been allowed to re-seed with trees, and the soil is so fragile that clearing is a very long-term process. You really can't plant or raise animals on newly cleared land and expect there to be grass/soil in the future.  Or they are just extremely expensive (the subdivision value).

If you are going to raise animals, you need land for pasture and land for hay-making (buying in hay in the NE is extremely expensive!). Here in Ireland (with the abundance of rain), we use the hay fields for the animals from right after making the hay until the following March or so, when the animals go into other fields and hay fields get their (short) rest. I don't remember ever doing that growing up on a farm in NJ (yes, a 112 acre dairy farm) - although we got 3-5 cuttings of hay rather than the 1 we get in Ireland.

It's really, really sad that the best farmland in the world is now growing houses.
:(

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:48:55 am »

NH never really had great farmland. The best of it has been worked for centuries, with productive livestock slowly amending the soil.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:54:04 pm »

Northern New England has a lot of farms.  You might find this interesting: http://www.bardoproject.com/

My wife and I are happy customers of theirs.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

weatherford

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 10:28:56 pm »

The Bardo Project is very, very neat, and similar to the way my husband and I lived for the ten years we were married. We did have more open space than the project (from what I could read), which enabled us to also raise beef and have a horse. Our pigs did quite well in the woods or in the garden at the end of the season when it needed to be turned over - much easier than the tiller! (He now does organic chickens, beef, and pigs on a large self-sustaining farm in VA.)

We were also in PA - which, along with NJ and parts of NY, once had the greatest farmland in the world.

I want a dairy cow and a steer, as well as my horses (I breed them) - which is why I am looking for that open farmland.

There are a couple of wonderful very large tracts (100-300 acres) in Grafton County for sale, but, unfortunately, out of my price range - great if some free-staters could get together and split them up - but the price per acre still sounds high to me.

Did you know that an Irish acre is 1.6 times a US acre? Really makes it hard for me to judge land size! :lol:

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:56:14 am »

The price per acre is because of the desirable nature of the property. Cleared with highly productive topsoil. I've even seen developments where the topsoil was scraped... and after construction only enough for turf grass redistributed. The remainder sold off site.

Contractor Mark

• Contractor Mark

Hello all,

I am a licensed contractor in CA and am headed to the free state with my wife and 2.5 (we are prego with the third) kids at the end of August!!

We will be in an RV and are looking for connections which may lead us to a trade for rent situation.  Please view my website, WWW.MARKPURSELL.COM to see my work.  As you will see, I focus on many residential building trades.

If you or someone you know may be interested please contact me.

Thank you for your consideration.
 *Link Removed*

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 09:15:12 pm »

Land is plentiful and affordable north of the White Mountains, but that area gets a lot of snow in the winter.

See you at PorcFest!
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064
Pages: [1]   Go Up