Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a decision  (Read 4699 times)

Ad

• Wanted: Cold Weather, Hot Ranges
Making a decision
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:32:45 am »

Well my wife and I are pretty much sold on moving up there when our lease expires in the middle of 2010. Barring something extravagant happening we will be attending the convention in March, and then scouting out some areas (looking at inland/western Rockingham the hardest) to settle in.

I know I've pissed a few people off in the past here (if anyone remembers XD) but hopefully it's blown over. I'm still not an anarchist, and still think that some government functions are required in big cities (which is part of the reason I'm leaving my big city home for more rural lands)... but just sort of grown tired of it all. We want to just leave alone and be left alone. Know our neighbors (for once!) and just be neighborly. </Mr. Rogers theme song>

I'd love to chat with some of you in March. I don't plan on posting too much to the forums for fear of becoming a debatitarian, but I will try to chime in and not be a stranger so I have some contacts already at the Forum.
Planning a combination honeymoon and recon trip to NH. Look for us in a few months!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Making a decision
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 08:57:06 am »

Ad.... there will be plenty of time for debate in March.  :)

See you then!  (register now for the early bird price)

lunchbox

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:47:23 am »

I know nothing of any previous issues, but I will say this.

If you are planning to move to NH to seek freedom for yourself and others, you should be welcomed with open arms.

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:22:30 pm »

Having made the move, I can say in earnest that the persona of people online and in person is shocking often times. Don't worry overmuch about personalities on the forums.

Hope to see you at the Liberty Forum.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:07 pm »

Be sure and do like my signature says, so you'll be plugged in to the effective activism when you get here!

FreeStyle

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 03:04:59 pm »

sweet!  What's going on in Northern new hampshire?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 03:46:27 pm »

It depends on how you define North  (serious)

Most of the action up north is 'local' politics.

A lot of people are gearing up for the 2010 house elections.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 04:17:24 pm »

Seacoast activism is also mainly local stuff.  It's still driving distance to the State House, though.

Also, don't forget to sign up at pledgebank.com/Next1000  Folks who missed out on the First 1000 can sign up for the second wave...
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Ad

• Wanted: Cold Weather, Hot Ranges
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 05:45:51 am »

Thanks for all the replies. My wife and I are still considering whether we should actually come up for the Forum or just make a visit sometime earlier. Depends on work.

I hope to find some people to meet up with during our visit. I definitely want to scout out some areas to live in (yes Max Seabrook is on the list) and potential jobs. Is the market doing anything up there? Things are downright terrible here for a recent college grad. Plenty of minimum wage work but nothing really substantial without experience or certification.
Planning a combination honeymoon and recon trip to NH. Look for us in a few months!

FreeStyle

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:24:27 am »

It depends on how you define North  (serious)

Most of the action up north is 'local' politics.

A lot of people are gearing up for the 2010 house elections.

what about the Franklin area?  Laconia and such?  Organizations such as NHLA, FSP do anything during Bike Week?  Lots of bikers seem to have a liberty mindset (some do not I understand this) and many are from out of state, hence it would still be advertising to outside people (I know some people have a problem recruiting liberty people from the inside using the FSP name)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 10:29:16 pm »

I don't think many FSPers live in that area... (we need some!!)

Franklin has a GREAT Mayor and they have a really strong tax cap there.

10stateswithnh

• Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 03:48:57 am »

I don't think many FSPers live in that area... (we need some!!)

Franklin has a GREAT Mayor and they have a really strong tax cap there.

Good - Franklin is one of the areas I am considering.
I am planning to move to NH in 2011, but not sure if it will be by end of Sep, that's why I haven't pledged the next 1000 yet.
Hopefully I can make it out to Porcfest 2010, and would do a drive through of all the areas I am considering, which also includes Seabrook, Rochester, and Manchester.

Whether I initially move there will depend on if my brother comes with me, he's thinking about it. He hates cities. I live in a town of 20 thousand, which he thinks is too big - much happier in a small town of 300. I was thinking he might like the Lake region better, but I want to be close enough to the large cities to go pretty regularly whether for gatherings or activism at the state capitol. Of course, jobs are still an issue, but I figure if I can afford a place that Franklin and Laconia would be a good compromise location. He would probably love to be in the far north area but I don't want to be that far from Concord and Manchester.
If he doesn't come with me, I'll probably just start wherever I can get a cheap place to stay, while I start scouting out the state. Manchester is at the top of my list of where to look but I won't be able to be in the city itself if my brother moves out with me. If I keep my current job with a big box store until then I can transfer to a store anywhere in New Hampshire (an initial if low-paying job while I hunt locally for better ones).

Anyway, I would be glad to help with whatever is going on in Franklin or Laconia if I go there (hopefully they're active by the end of 2011 though and not waiting for me), though I don't have much experience in political (or any other kind of) activism, and have no desire to serve in office myself. I am thinking about doing outreach like the Operation Politically Homeless, has anyone been doing this inside of New Hampshire?
Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!

FreeStyle

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 06:01:39 am »

I plan to do something when I get to the area and settled down.  Whenever you arrive hit me up, I'll help ya move in.

Tilton, Franklin are only about 15 minutes from Concord. . .that's a big city lol

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:39:05 am »

Franklin also has some 'affordable' housing.  (bang for your buck there)

Not far from Concord.

We can point you in the right direction of people you want to meet.

yes there are a few people doing OPH outreach here in NH... but always room for more... Biker week would be PERFECT for OPH.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 10:09:04 am »

Thanks for all the replies. My wife and I are still considering whether we should actually come up for the Forum or just make a visit sometime earlier. Depends on work.

I hope to find some people to meet up with during our visit. I definitely want to scout out some areas to live in (yes Max Seabrook is on the list) and potential jobs. Is the market doing anything up there? Things are downright terrible here for a recent college grad. Plenty of minimum wage work but nothing really substantial without experience or certification.

Yeah!  BTW, both of you can sign the Next 1,000 pledge, if you like.  Kids are also okay to sign if they are willing to be liberty activists here, also.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up