Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Immigrate from Canada  (Read 4733 times)


  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
How to Immigrate from Canada
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:42:43 pm »


I have been spending a lot of time of various websites, but am either totally confused, or thinking its not possible for me and my wife to immigrate.

I have a high-need skill from what I understand (chartered accountant) and wouldn't having much problem coming into the country, my wife on the other hand, is a different story.

I think I could get in on a TN status, and so could my wife, but she wouldn't be able to work?  I'm not sure if that's really an option as right now we are reliant on dual income.

is there something that I am missing.  My goal is to immigrate permanently, first as a permanent resident and eventually getting my US citizenship, if possible.

Any advice would help,


  • Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4801
Re: How to Immigrate from Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:02:40 pm »

If your wife doesn't also qualify for a TN status on her own, she might possibly qualify for TD status as your spouse. Holders of TD visas are not allowed to work; to work, she will need a separate work visa.

TN status is good for 3 years, but it is subject to many conditions and the status can be summarily revoked at any time you try to re-enter the U.S. In addition, be aware that you may not enter the U.S. in TN status with the intent to become a U.S. permanent resident or citizen. That would be visa fraud, and it is a federal crime. However, after entering the U.S., your employment circumstances might allow you to apply for a later change of status.
Pages: [1]   Go Up