Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling success is viewed as a problem  (Read 4668 times)

jeanius

Homeschooling success is viewed as a problem
« on: May 27, 2003, 12:47:51 pm »

I get a half dozen links a week to articles on homeschooling.   This one is ... absurd.

http://www.parentcenter.com/essay/7024.html

freedomroad

Re:Homeschooling success is viewed as a problem, jokingly
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 04:00:31 am »

I get a half dozen links a week to articles on homeschooling.   This one is ... absurd.

http://www.parentcenter.com/essay/7024.html

The article is 100% positive of homeschooling and homeschoolers.  I am very impressed because it is on a liberal website and by an author that writes form several liberial rags.

jeanius

Re:Homeschooling success is viewed as a problem
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 10:39:49 am »

I realized after I posted my comment needed clarification.  What I find absurd is that homeschoolers may have to prove something schooled children don't because of the outcry about their successes.  I liked the article and the response to the outcry but as a homeschooler I'm frustrated that homeschooling success is being met with objections which may in fact require homeschoolers to provide information to contest authorities that schooled children do not.  In the last few years, despite continued homeschooling success, regulations for homeschoolers continue to get more stringent (in general).  I'm frustrated that we continually *have* to prove ourselves while failing public schools don't.  In my state we are required to provide testing results to the school authority at periodic intervals.  But, if your child is in the public school system, you can opt out of those tests.  This sort of inbalance frustrates me.  

Back to my mantra "Free State, Free State, Free State".

percy, aka tntsmum

• FSP Participant
  • SEE YOU IN THE FREE STATE!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 05:48:14 am »

That the success of homeschooling has coiincided with continually more restrictions and controls is no accident in my opinion. They are now in the process of trying to "dumb down" the homeschoolers. Our success is their greatest threat and we need to be eliminated. The first step is to establish firm control.

heyerstandards

• Who's guarding the guards?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 11:26:36 am »

Homeschoolers are an embarrasment....to the education system.  

MY neighbors homeschool, and their children are a dleight to be with.  My own kids attend our church's school, so I know I am delegating my responsbility to education my kids properly.

The Free State will be a beacon for homeschools, because the state has no legitimate say in the education of my kids.  Should someone who can't cook a Pop Tart demand that I take cooking lessons from them?

I believe homeschooling will flourish in [Free State] because it will not be culturally verboten.  Homeschoolers will not be relegated to second class citizen status.  We will be much more open in our joint activities.  

Is government sometimes useful? Answered Mencken:

So is a doctor. But suppose the dear fellow claimed the right, every time he was called in to prescribe for a bellyache..., to raid the family silver, use the family tooth-brushes, and execute the droit de seigneur upon the housemaid.

jeanius

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 11:24:47 pm »

http://www.westandforhomeschooling.org/res/index.php

This article talks about other ways that homeschooling is coming under attack.  In our area there are several publicly funded programs for "homeschoolers".  They vary from offering single classes to all morning classes which include basic courses such as math, reading and spelling.  I believe they are created by people wanting to tap the public financial well without state controls but still need to fulfill state requirements (attendance is required for payment).  While there are these things happening which can muddy the perception of homeschooling I am optimistic that homeschooling will hold its own.  The process is fascinating nonetheless.

LisaLew

• liberty--is it a state of mind?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2003, 04:09:47 pm »

excellent article on home-based instruction.  Homeschoolers are being roped in to the public school system in droves through this slight of hand.  Register with the schools, you are a public school student; then you are bound by all the mandates, testing, data collection, record keeping, and so on the public school system participates in.
Thanks for sharing this Jeanius.

Tracy Saboe

• FSP Participant
    • Rand for US Senate in Kentucky!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 04:19:02 am »

Everyone needs to read Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling -- by John Taylor Gatto

If you haven't already done so.

Next you'll want to read his Undergound history of public education.

The John Birch Society also has a book and paints a conspiratorial picture that the state wants our kids to be dumb, and the success of homoschooling is threatening. They want a cast based system of elites and commoners.
Quite compelling.

The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America: A Chronological Paper Trail -- by Charlotte Thompson Iserbyt availible at http://www.jbs.org

Tracy
We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers

bIlluminati

• FSP Participant
  • For freedom
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2003, 10:47:39 am »

A friend's family was homeschooling their children. When they tried to re-enter the government schools, the government required that a sophomore retake the entire freshman year because of deficiencies in one subject. (Central Ohio)

I'm sure there are plenty more horror stories about how the government system attacks homeschoolers at many (not every) opportunity.
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.

NuclearDruid

• TANSTAAFL
    • The Colonization Too Project
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 10:20:15 am »

A positive article

http://www.washtimes.com/culture/20031022-092314-2522r.htm

Got'ta love the "No comment." from the NEA.

ND
"Responsibility is a unique concept. It can only reside and inhere in a single individual. You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you. You may disclaim it, but you cannot divest yourself of it." - Admiral Hyman Rickover
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything