Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Major League Baseball Thread  (Read 8960 times)

amartin7889

Major League Baseball Thread
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:28:40 pm »

I searched the forum, but I couldn't find anything about the Boston Red Sox. Is anyone here a fan of any baseball teams?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Major League Baseball Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 07:50:20 am »

I searched the forum, but I couldn't find anything about the Boston Red Sox. Is anyone here a fan of any baseball teams?
yes
NH is Boston Red Sox country.

(Yes you will find some Yankee fans and a smattering of other teams)

djbridgeland

• moved October 2008, Second 1000
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:32:33 pm »

Chicago Cubs fan... I've heard the New Hampshire Fishercats is a good time - Double AA baseball on the cheap although the beer prices are a bit high for a minor league park.   

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:44:20 am »

Lifelong Phillies phan here...a function of growing up in the Philly burbs.  I have adopted the Red Sox as my AL team, as is only fitting.  I root for both, but will favor the Phils should both teams make it to the WS.  Don't hate me for that RS fans.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

TEBON

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 05:23:20 am »

Red Sox fans won't usually hate you until it happens.  I am a recovering Red Sox fan who's decided that it's taken up entirely too much of my life and haven't watched even one game this year.  Not one.

lloydbob1

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 05:31:04 am »

I keep up with the Red Sox.  It's hard to keep up with all of the player changes. I doubt if they will recover from being 7 games down.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:50:11 am »

as a lifelong Sox fan... I have to say that I still follow them.  However the past 10 years... too many player changes in MLB....and now that the Sox have broken the curse... life goes on.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:06:21 am »

Weened on St. Louis Baseball Cardinals (big baseball town) but my extent of following these days is to check every few weeks (if I remember) to see how they're doing.  I don't pay attention until the last week before the playoffs.  I don't watch TV (internet clips) so if I'm not busy, I definitely turn the Sox game on the radio. 

I first listened to the Sox while living in Maine last summer and it's a funny thing how being here and listening to them can start to turn you into a Sox fan(!) but my "hometeam" is the Cardinals and I could never change my colors.   

If I went to a game in person, I'm sure I'd root for the Red Sox (unless they were playing the Cards).  But lately, when listening on the radio, I've found myself "secretly" rooting for close games, but for the Sox to lose(!) as it's more interesting/humorous to hear the radio guys express their extreme disappointment when they lose or screw up.  The lesson I always remind myself of when I hear this is, it's only game and I can't believe people get so worked up or something they have no control over and that means so little.   

But then I usually listen to at least an hour or so of the game so one could say I'm wasting my time by following any of it as well.  Well, one thing's for sure, if you like Baseball, you like competition and competition is Always a good thing.  Also, I think another reason a lot of Sports are popular is because "the rules don't change" every year (save super occasional minor ones).  People know they can go to an environment where the rules are the same for everyone, versus say, the ever changing rules of Government(!)

Bottomine, for a St. Louis weened fan, summer, is just not summer, unless you've got a little baseball playing on the radio, outdoors.
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Brettp76

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 06:52:00 pm »

I keep up with the Sox mostly through colleagues at work and I love Fenway Park but then again I don't like the majority of the people of Boston or MLB's labor union, luxury taxes, and all of the publicly financed ballparks.

A beer and a few innings of Sox baseball is a nice way to unwind but I don't get too attached to the outcome.

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 08:20:20 am »

I keep up with the Sox mostly through colleagues at work and I love Fenway Park but then again I don't like the majority of the people of Boston or MLB's labor union, luxury taxes, and all of the publicly financed ballparks.

A beer and a few innings of Sox baseball is a nice way to unwind but I don't get too attached to the outcome.

I don't see how you can root for more than one team so I hear you being attached to the outcome.  And perhaps (!?) the reason why I don't root  >:D for the Sox to win is because they SWEPT the Cards in the World Series they played a couple years ago.  :(  (but the team's (Cards) looking pretty stacked these days - on the NL side - but it will be very interesting to see how they weigh in against the Sox (I think I heard the teams are playing soon).
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

TEBON

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 09:22:09 pm »

Smoltz did pretty good.  Where the eff has that been?

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »

I heard he had super outing the first time in redbirds uniform but it was against a last place team...however the pitching coach is amazing (Dave Duncan) at working with struggling pitchers.  Just stay away from anyone that the Cards want to trade because there's good reason not to touch them (J. D. Drew for example).

TEBON

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 04:11:58 am »

shudders;  JD drew ;shudders

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 09:46:54 am »

I think the reality is - it's easier to pitch in the National League due to the fact that American league markets are bigger, pay bigger salaries, get the best players, plus the DH factor. 

St. Louis also picked up Matt Holliday from the A's and his average jumped big time = it's easier to hit in the NL as well for the same reasons.  I think if I was a Nat. league manager I would be most concerned with how am I going to hit and pitch against the AL Team in the World Series.

Charlie Burger

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 11:53:38 pm »

I dont follow it too close anymore, but grew up with the Minnesota Twins. Been to a few games at the Metrodome, I didn't mind it, don't know why everybody complains about it. But now they got their precious outdoor stadium, but no retractable roof. Do you know what happens in MN in April and October (providing they are in it) ? It rains, sleets and snows. I kinda liked sitting in the Dome in my shirtsleeves watching a game, no rain delay, but what do I know?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up