Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Public Schools Renting Textbooks to Students  (Read 8288 times)

jeanius

Public Schools Renting Textbooks to Students
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:38:17 am »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  I'm glad I homeschool certainly.  I'm not sure it's costing me any more than it would to use public schools in these states. 

Great comments for the article too.  Love the one about how public education is about delivering the minimum daily allowance!

http://www.theindychannel.com/education/20304285/detail.html
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:56:30 pm by Jean »

doobie

Re: Public Schools Renting Textbooks to Students
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:29:27 pm »

Better than making me who has no children and probably won't have any in a public school system pay for them.

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 01:36:08 pm »

But it probably does not lower the school portion of taxes/expenditures.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

jeanius

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 01:40:24 pm »

Agreed Pat.  I'm pretty sure this is a way to deal with perceived inadequate funding.  I'll bet these states' education budgets haven't gone down for instance. 

I'd be okay with a system where people paid for their children's education.  Government schooling getting money multiple ways isn't really that though.  :P

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:49:42 pm »

$11,000 a year per student in tax subsidies, and they still demand more?  Public schools used to be like public hospitals or public housing--"free" to the poorest of the poor, or those who had fallen on difficult times.  Public schooling is not holding to that.

We should just switch to tuition funded schools, then leave things up to the family.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

jna

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 01:08:48 am »

We should just switch to tuition funded schools, then leave things up to the family.

It seems to me that that is the direction that we are heading.   Problem is, where is all of the school budget/tax money going?  I see extravagant waste everyday in school.  Out here in Oregon, they have huge architechtural ly beautiful buildings, but there aren't enough books to fill the library inside.   I wouldn't mind paying my share if I had some control over where it was going.  There's already enough money in the system to provide for what each student truly needs if we get the priorities straight.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 01:30:29 am »

In NH, other than the State Adequacy grants... the money raised locally is either through a city council or direct vote of the town residents.
Text books are actually wasteful many times in that they easily become outdated. The internet has opened a great deal of knowledge and literature without the problems of hard copy.

pstudier

• LibertarianWiki.org
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 03:57:47 am »

The textbooks are way over priced.  A friend of mine recently taught high school physics, and the text book was about 100 dollars.  It covered the same material as the  text book I used in 1970.  In contrast, I bought a highly technical book of interest only to electrical engineers designing surface mount boards, "The Handbook of High Speed Digital Design" for only 50 dollars.  I really don't understand why a basic physics book covering such topics as Newton's laws, etc. should be so expensive.

Paul Studier <Studier2@PleaseNoSpamToPaulStudier.com>
http://LibertarianWiki.org, The Libertarian Activist's Encyclopedia

lloydbob1

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 06:09:56 am »

In NH, other than the State Adequacy grants... the money raised locally is either through a city council or direct vote of the town residents.
They don't exactly vote 'for it'!  They are given a number.  If it fails it drops back to last years number. They can't vote it out.

jeanius

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:39:57 am »

The textbooks are overpriced, they are driven by political processes (primarily CA and TX), and the quality is falling ... Dumbing down of America. 

I've been getting my high school math books on ebay to get the editions of Saxon that are up to par.  The latest aren't
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 07:42:05 am by Jean »

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 07:54:41 am »

They don't exactly vote 'for it'!  They are given a number.  If it fails it drops back to last years number. They can't vote it out.
Is Grafton a SB2 town?
Our town meeting warrant article never has a default budget number in it.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:28:40 pm »

Is Grafton a SB2 town?
Our town meeting warrant article never has a default budget number in it.

What is a SB2 town for the rest of us?  It would seem if we can get a large enough group of us together we could collectively homeschool. I know some of us have advanced degrees.
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 09:31:00 pm »

poor.....
There are a few people doing that with a tutor.. also two private schools that I know of.

SB2 is a type of NH government.. Senate Bill 2.

There is loads of this info on:
CNHT.org
and
nhliberty.org.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:34:26 pm »

poor.....
There are a few people doing that with a tutor.. also two private schools that I know of.

SB2 is a type of NH government.. Senate Bill 2.

There is loads of this info on:
CNHT.org
and
nhliberty.org.

Thank you.
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything