Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 16 year old son, does not want to move to NH  (Read 14408 times)

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
Re: 16 year old son, does not want to move to NH
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 04:53:42 pm »

I think I may have met you and your son at LF. He seemed much less shy than many folks who have come. I think he'll adjust quickly and fit right in.

Does your wife want to move to Idaho or stay where you currently are?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

chrisman

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 05:39:48 pm »

Thank you everyone for your words and advice so far. Since I have not layed all of the details out in this forum, it may look as if I am "taking" my son to NH. This is not the case. What I am telling him is, I have a good job offer, and NH is a great place where I have always wanted to be for many solid reasons, but now I have even more reasons (FSP, and NH's small workable government). Even when I was young and in grade school, I was trying to get my parents to move to NH or VT. Obviously NH is best.

My ideas about liberty and freedom have not changed, only become more front and center in the last 10 years or so. I am 40 now and have always been skeptical, questioning everything and trusting very little. Maybe it was my depression-era father who raised me that way. Some would say that is a bad thing, I say it is good and allows the eyes to open easier.

There are people who I can trust, and they are called patriots. The rest are willing to fillet you if you make them uncomfortable in their happy little box. I cannot go on like that. I can't make small talk and live like sheep. I have been made out to be a cult member by my so called friends and even some family, for expressing interest in the FSP. I am not even on the "extreme" side (if there is such a thing) of the freedom movement, and believe there is still some good in our Government, mostly in the local gov't. I don't readily believe all of the things people are saying, instead taking them at face value and comparing with what I know to be true. In other words, I am a reasonable thinking adult, have held a full time business and part to full time jobs for my entire working adult life, and have raised + supported my children faithfully for 17 years.

My wife does not want to leave CA, and we only moved back there from Idaho last August because of a business deal I was in that would have paid all bills and put $$ in the bank, plus a good job there in CA. That all fell through last fall. When it did, I moved on to plan B. I always planned to move to NH, but after last fall, I figured that was my cue. Another big factor my wife does not see is that we cannot afford $$ wise to stay in CA.

SJ, I hope to be able to contact you for that dinner, thank you!

Keyser, We probably did meet in the hall at the NH Liberty Forum. I was trying to get people to talk to my son and make him feel more comfortable about NH. Which person were you?

Cathleen; "Be open about your wanting what is best for all of them in the bad times that exist and the worse times you see coming. Be sad about the rift, not angry. Make your decisions thoughtfully rather than impulsively. Be open rather than sneaky. Whatever you do, hold your head up and don't be ashamed." -Thank you, that is great advice. Honestly, I have been open with him, very open. I am battling a lot of ignorance that surrounds us. I am sad about the rift between my wife and I, but what she has done, along with our "friends" has forever hurt my trust, and as stated, I do not trust people easily.

Thank you every one who has contributed...please keep the advice coming. This means a lot, and I will watch for your posts.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 06:17:58 pm »

Well, after reading your story, I have to say that I think you need some new friends! (And NH is good for that.)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

chrisman

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 07:37:47 pm »

Jason, I just got done reading one of your very old posts (from either 02' or 04') in regards to the drug war. I agree, but most Christians do not.

Cathleen, I forgot to address; "You are asking your son to take your side over your wife's" - I have never done this. He has come to the conclusion that my wife is doing wrong right now. There was absolutely NO coercion from me, or even hinting at all. That would not be the right thing right for me to do, nor would it be a true opinion from him. I appreciate your words of advice however.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 11:44:57 pm »

I'm a die-hard Christian, die-hard libertarian, and voted for Idaho precisely because it showed more job growth than any other state.  I was also keen on Nevada (which was tossed out by the Board with little input taken from the membership) and Alaska, which still has a great job market in many areas.

In terms of climate, stuff to do, and other young people being around, I'd recommend Portsmouth or Manchester.  Portsmouth is definitely a happening city, and it offers a good nightlife, even for folks under 21.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 09:24:16 am »

I'm a die-hard Christian, die-hard libertarian, and voted for Idaho precisely because it showed more job growth than any other state.  I was also keen on Nevada (which was tossed out by the Board with little input taken from the membership) and Alaska, which still has a great job market in many areas.

::) NV was thrown out because it was over 2 million population, by the Research Committee, which was set up by all FSP participants who wanted to join.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 10:04:17 am »

max.. totally off topic  But I would have voted AK and ID as my first 2 choices had I joined the FSP before the vote BUT.... now that I am in NH... I agree that NH was/is the best choice... mostly because of the form of government at the state level and the town level and the JOBS.

ok now back to the topic. 

lloydbob1

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:28 am »

Chrisman. Move to NH. Babushka Dreepa will put your 16 year old to work.

JamesButabi

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:28 am »

One of your main hobbies was enjoying the outdoors.  I must say, you should take your son on a camping trip through the White Mountain region. Open his eyes to the one of the greatest areas in the US for outdoors activities (Skiing, ATV, Kayaking, Hiking, Mountain Climbing, ziplining, hunting, biking, geocaching, scenic viewpoints, etc).   I personally live in RI and make multiple trips a year for this sole aspect.

The job offer sounds great.  I think you should get on the same page with your wife regarding custody (not sure if you addressed this), then make the best decision for yourself and your son.  Keep conversations very open with your son, and point out all of the non FSP ideas that make NH seemingly the best move for you.

chrisman

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 01:08:51 pm »

Hi Maxx, Idaho has a lot of libertarian types, and a pretty strong CFL. I honestly think Nevada sucks, outside of the Nevada side of Tahoe Lake, but that is just surface stuff.

Lloyd, I hope you and Dreepa are friends! My son will be busy working on the homestead and his 68' Triumph...

Dreepa, NH's Government is really the best aspect, I agree. Much more local control and a smaller geographic region to cover. A lot more can be done there with less $$. Also, it is just an awesome place all around.

James, I wish I could have the time, but that job in Manchester is going to want an answer before I have a chance to go hiking.

What to do...

chrisman

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 05:40:40 pm »

Hi James,

I will not be going anywhere with my son if my wife is going to try something funny. There will be some paper work.

Thanks to the guy who started the http://whynewhampshire.org/ site, I found a great reason that directly affects my son;

“Learner’s Permits” are not required in New Hampshire

The driving issue is huge to him, and this makes it a lot easier. This may be a bit compelling for him.

Thanks, and also for the site listed above!

Ad

• Wanted: Cold Weather, Hot Ranges
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 07:08:19 pm »

I don't know your life or you, but I do know one thing.

Matthew 19:6
    So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.

That "no one" includes the FSP. It's not worth your marriage. Solve that problem first - get back on the same page as your wife. New Hampshire can wait. So can Idaho. Job offers come and go. America needs stable, healthy families right now more than it needs a divorcee liberty activist with a bitter son.

Good luck with everything and I honestly hope things work out for you guys.
Planning a combination honeymoon and recon trip to NH. Look for us in a few months!

Mac_Muz

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 07:56:33 pm »

chrisman , This is my very first post here. I have lived and do live in NH for most of my life, but am from Mass as born. I left there for gun laws long ago.

As for your son, who you say likes the out doors? Well, we have hard wood trees, you don't, we live near the salty pond you call the Atlantic, and so there is salty water, beaches, boats of all kinds, and sea food.

We make maple sugar in early Spring, when the growing season just is starting, and grow gardens there after till October.

We have the 4 seasons you have, but probably far better foliage and maybe a bit milder winters. Winters can be harsh here just the same.

I raised my son here, who is now raising his son here too.

The state is heavily forested, and in the White Mnt's national park there are 40 mnts over 4,000 feet. Mt Washington is the tallest at 6,488 ft I believe, and has records on some of the worst weather ever recorded by man and or anyone else in the world.

What kid doesn't like nasty weather?

We have lakes for all kinds of boating and rivers too. If you have any land there is no need for a outting to a gun range.. I  just shoot a few feet from my door when ever I feel like it.

There are living history folks around, and we have certain celibrations, where old ways and living skills matter. For example I can and do start fire with a bow drill, and if i couldn't I wouldn't be maried today..

That's another story.

Music can be had for the wanting, about any weekend you like year round.. but there isn't a lot of rap, which I for one have no problem not hearing.

Loon Mnt hosts a Scottish Festival in late Sept in the best of the best foliage. Bands like Albannach often attend.

I could answer most any questions you might have about my woods.

Being new I should tell you how I found this site. Someone sent me this link.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090725/ap_on_re_us/us_camping_for_freedom

I am 57 years old, male, very married to an angel, and she rides on my Kawasaki Nomad all over the place with me when we want.

In 05 for 10 months into 06 were toured the USA to Cal and back to Fla, thence back to Arkansas, and into the south east seeking a better place to be the whole time.

We did hit 40 states and Idaho was one. We came to the conclusion there was no better place to be than NH.

This weekend we may ride to a Blue Grass Festival in state of course. I don't count New England as more than Maine, NH, and Vermont.

The problems here are the Democrates in local Govt and their odd ideas on taxes and spending just like everywhere else if you were to ask me.

That, and you damned FLAT LANDERS who come and want the rural life,  but with all the bennies you got where ever it is you come from. You go to the DUMP around here, and there is no trash pick up for miles and miles around, but maybe there is in the cities..

That is and isn't a joke, as it depends on what type of life you bring here to my little spot in the world. You seem sincere so I figured to bite and see what happens to me.

If your son is into the big city life then there is Boston, but it has been decades since I was there, except to see the Harvard Musem a few times and a few other cultural outtings that drew me there.

I was hard up on my luck once... busted up, out of work, in a divorce, yada yada... Lived 1,095 days in a tee pee in the woods to heal both mentally and phyisically. That winter was one of the harshest in recent history and I had 5 feet of insulation called snow.

That September I was able to get out of tee pee living and moved into the Trailer from Hell, up in the dead center of the Ossipees, one ancient Ring Dike.

The move was about 6 miles due north as the crow flies. About 2 weeks went by, and one day a old man showed up in a red pick up truck, and when he got out he stood leaning against his truck with his hands on his hips, with a scowl on his old mug.

I was outside cutting fire wood a bit late in the year ,  I was very busy, but and stopped to ask if there was something I could do for him.

He grumbled "Boy 'ave yee any ideer where in jumpin blue blazes you gut off too?" I said Huh What? He said "WiNTER." 'Winters up heya' is hard!" I said Oh yeah I know, I was living' in Cannan Valley in a tee pee this last one.. ;D

I just hate watching a grown man cry.... After that we became best of friends...  Mac.... just call me Mac...

Mac_Muz

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 08:03:04 pm »

Shortie:  What kind of 68 triumph? A car or a bike?

TEBON

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 08:08:26 pm »

I can remember when I was 16 I wasn't given a choice where I was moving to.   You're a good parent to even consider their feelings on the matter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

anything