Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The National Youth Rights Association  (Read 9717 times)

YankeeBlood

The National Youth Rights Association
« on: May 29, 2009, 07:47:41 pm »

I looked through all of the topic titles in this subforum and could not find any mention of this, so I am posting it now:

There is a relatively large organization, with over 5,000 members, the purpose of which is to bring more liberties to minors in the United States. It is the National Youth Rights Association, often abbreviated as NYRA. It's website is at http://www.youthrights.org, and it has an internet forum at http://forums.youthrights.org .

The organization demonstrates it's libertarian bent with the following line at http://www.youthrights.org/positionpapers.php :
"The organization deals only with civil rights -- freedom from oppression or discrimination by government, business or other powers -- rather than entitlement rights. We do  not deal with issues like the quality of education or health care young people receive."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:50:17 pm by YankeeBlood »

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
Re: The National Youth Rights Association
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:36:02 pm »

I had a really great chat with some representatives with NYRA earlier this year at a conference. They're pretty strongly liberal leaning but also pretty dedicated to their goal and work with anybody working towards their goals.

teenvote

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 12:35:17 pm »

My name is Keith Mandell, and I have been on NYRA's board of directors for the past 5 years.  I also used to help with chapter development.  Let me know if you have any questions about starting a chapter or helping with NYRA generally.

NYRA is having its fundraising drive.  If you can help us out with a donation that would be awesome.  You can donate online or by check.  Go to http://www.youthrights.org/donate.php  for more information.

teenvote

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 12:37:41 pm »

Oh one more thing.  We are non-partisan and have folks with all across the political spectrum.  We are united in one goal: advancing the cause of youth liberty!

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:43 am »

There’s also Americans for a Society Free from Age Restrictions, of which I’m a member. NYRA was actually formed from a schism in ASFAR—ASFAR went the strongly principled route whereas the people who formed NYRA went the moderate, pragmatic route. (Think GOA vs. NRA.)

My name is Keith Mandell, and I have been on NYRA's board of directors for the past 5 years.  I also used to help with chapter development.  Let me know if you have any questions about starting a chapter or helping with NYRA generally.

What would be involved in starting a state chapter for New Hampshire? This is probably something I could help out with, at least getting it going, running the website, and so on. (I already do this for quite a few other organizations here; see www.jraxis.com for a summary of what I’m already involved in.)

There was a Constitutional amendment bill up this year, CACR4, that would have allowed seventeen-year-olds to vote in primaries if they would have been eighteen by the time of the general election. It definitely could have used more organized support; it got a majority on the House Floor (193–176), but not the three-fifths required to actually pass it and get it on the ballots.

Oh one more thing.  We are non-partisan and have folks with all across the political spectrum.  We are united in one goal: advancing the cause of youth liberty!

The FSP is non-partisan, too. This is a libertarian group, not a Libertarian Party group. ;D

AmateurEmale

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:59:15 pm »

This organization sounds excellent as another opportunity for Libertarians to recruit young people into our movement.  Emphasize that we do not believe in curfew laws, truancy laws, voting restrictions (at least not many of us believe in them) and other youth-specific restrictions, and you will find young people curious about Libertarianism.

We should have our own Libertarian Youth Rights Association (LYRA), although that is already the name of a constellation.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:54:14 pm »

Looks like “teenvote” never came back. Didn’t answer a query I left him through the NYRA website either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up