Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American History for kids  (Read 7250 times)

coyote

American History for kids
« on: May 07, 2009, 05:37:30 am »

Looking for good books, or even a homeschool type curriculum designed to teach kids about American History, especially the ideas behind the American Revolution. I'm trying to find something for my 3rd and 5th grade girls this summer to make up for what they aren't getting at their charter school. Thanks!

aod318

• Who Dares Wins!
    • Welcome to The Field!
Re: American History for kids
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:18 am »

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by Thomas E. Woods Jr. was a good read.
I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property.

Mark D

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 09:47:10 am »

Looking for good books, or even a homeschool type curriculum designed to teach kids about American History, especially the ideas behind the American Revolution. I'm trying to find something for my 3rd and 5th grade girls this summer to make up for what they aren't getting at their charter school. Thanks!

Not exactly what you've asked for (a curriculum) but this time line of major events with descriptions is a tremendous resource.  Check it out.  I think you'll be pleased.

http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/ushistory/revolutionarywartimeline.htm

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:55:02 am »

Go to www.BlueStockingPress and order all of the Uncle Eric series by Richard J. Maybury!

The books are written so that even children can understand them, and so that even adults will find them informative, enlightening and fascinating.

Subjects include: Law/Justice, Economics, History, Liberty, etc.

coyote

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:32:12 am »

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History by Thomas E. Woods Jr. was a good read.

Yes, we have it in hardback as well as in audiobook. I always worried they weren't old enough yet, but maybe we should give it a shot. Thanks!

coyote

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:40:02 am »

Go to www.BlueStockingPress and order all of the Uncle Eric series by Richard J. Maybury!

The books are written so that even children can understand them, and so that even adults will find them informative, enlightening and fascinating.

Subjects include: Law/Justice, Economics, History, Liberty, etc.

Yep. I've just been trying to find them online at bargain prices for the last year. Guess, I'll spend the $. Well worth it from what I hear. Thanks!

coyote

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:40:56 am »

Not exactly what you've asked for (a curriculum) but this time line of major events with descriptions is a tremendous resource.  Check it out.  I think you'll be pleased.

http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/articles/ushistory/revolutionarywartimeline.htm

Great resource! I have it bookmarked. Thanks!

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 10:26:47 am »

His Mises cohort, Tom DiLorenzo, has two great books on American history, "Hamilton's Curse" http://www.mises.org/store/Hamiltons-Curse-P534.aspx and "How Capitalism Saved America" http://www.mises.org/store/How-Capitalism-Saved-America-The-Untold-History-of-Our-Country-from-the-Pilgrims-to-the-Present-P260.aspx

Neither is specifically on the war of independence, but could fill in some holes.

I'm in the middle of a biography of Jefferson, "Thomas Jefferson, A Life" http://www.abebooks.com/search/isbn/0060976179 which has been a VERY interesting read. And at $1 plus $4 shipping (it's not exactly thin), easily affordable.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:02:52 pm »

When I was that age, my Dad read me The Light & The Glory and From Sea to Shining Sea.  There's a version for kids ages 9 to 12.  FYI, they're both from a decidedly Christian worldview.

--edit--

I e-mailed my mom (who has 20+ years of home schooling experience) and she sent me the following:

I personally like Early American History by Beautiful Feet.  It tells more about the people and events not so much the ideas.

Why America is Free- A History of the Founding of the American Republic 1750-1800 is a curriculum designed for 4-6th graders published by The Society of the Cincinnati.  I got mine through Home School Legal Defense.

Other resources are available through the biographies written by Jean Fritz.  She wrote The Great Little Madison; Who's that Stepping on Plymouth Rock; Can't You Make Them Obey, King George?; Shh!  We're Writing the Constitution; Will You Sign Here, John Hancock; And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?; Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?; What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?; and several more.  She writes for children and brings out facts that will make them remember their subject like Sam Adams was terrified of horses and never would ride one.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:50:22 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 12:47:51 pm »

I also think this documentary made by the makers of 300 was very informative - and accurate!
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything