Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: # of Reasons to Move to Nashua, New Hampshire  (Read 16752 times)

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: # of Reasons to Move to Nashua, New Hampshire
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2009, 09:29:02 am »

How is a mall getting busier a good thing for anyone other than a store owner at the mall?   :)
You're kidding, right?  More jobs, more income for the NH residents who work there, more revenue for the state government (which is deep in a hole)...

Aside from all those reasons, I've observed (and participated, way back in the day) that malls are a very popular hangout for bored teens.  Dump them off, or let them drive themselves there, and they'll happily wander the arcade in little packs, eating Mrs. Fields cookies and sucking down Orange Juliuses, for hours.  Anything that keeps the little hormonal monsters off the streets is a good thing, IMO.

No, I wasn't kidding.  But I wasn't really thinking about what bored teenagers do in their spare time, nor of the well-being of the state's coffers.  I did acknowledge that busier malls are good for the merchants.  I said "store owners" but I really meant it's good for business in general, which would extend to those seeking employment at the stores.

Anyway, my point was "crowded mall" does not sound like a selling point for luring a prospective freestater to Nashua.  But hey, different strokes for different folks; maybe some adults enjoy trying to navigate those teenage-infested corridors at the local mall.   ;D

Friday

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a browncoat!
    • Shire Liberty News
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 09:45:41 am »

How is a mall getting busier a good thing for anyone other than a store owner at the mall?   :)
You're kidding, right?  More jobs, more income for the NH residents who work there, more revenue for the state government (which is deep in a hole)...

Aside from all those reasons, I've observed (and participated, way back in the day) that malls are a very popular hangout for bored teens.  Dump them off, or let them drive themselves there, and they'll happily wander the arcade in little packs, eating Mrs. Fields cookies and sucking down Orange Juliuses, for hours.  Anything that keeps the little hormonal monsters off the streets is a good thing, IMO.

No, I wasn't kidding.  But I wasn't really thinking about what bored teenagers do in their spare time, nor of the well-being of the state's coffers.  I did acknowledge that busier malls are good for the merchants.  I said "store owners" but I really meant it's good for business in general, which would extend to those seeking employment at the stores.

Anyway, my point was "crowded mall" does not sound like a selling point for luring a prospective freestater to Nashua.  But hey, different strokes for different folks; maybe some adults enjoy trying to navigate those teenage-infested corridors at the local mall.   ;D

Personally, I loathe crowded malls, and spend as little time there as possible.  But plenty of other people have a different opinion of them (obviously, or there wouldn't be a phenomenon known as "crowded mall", right?)  I disagree that the presence of the largest mall in the state is not a selling point for some prospective Freestaters.  Lots of people love malls, and even more find them useful at times.  There is also a Home Depot adjacent to the Pheasant Lane Mall; a CostCo across the street; and a Barnes and Noble, a Borders Books and Music, a Trader Joe's, and a multi-screen movie theater, all within a quarter mile.  Many people considering where to move would find that very valuable information.
Shire Liberty News - spotlighting activism in New Hampshire: the frontier of freedom
http://www.shirelibertynews.com

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 09:56:06 am »

Personally, I loathe crowded malls, and spend as little time there as possible.  But plenty of other people have a different opinion of them (obviously, or there wouldn't be a phenomenon known as "crowded mall", right?)

Indeed.  They're known as hormonal teenage monsters;)

I disagree that the presence of the largest mall in the state is not a selling point for some prospective Freestaters.  Lots of people love malls, and even more find them useful at times.  There is also a Home Depot adjacent to the Pheasant Lane Mall; a CostCo across the street; and a Barnes and Noble, a Borders Books and Music, a Trader Joe's, and a multi-screen movie theater, all within a quarter mile.  Many people considering where to move would find that very valuable information.

Point taken.  I really wasn't trying to say that shopping destinations aren't selling points for an area.  I too find malls useful at times, even more so when they're not crawling with obnoxious teenagers.  :D  I was only speaking to that loathing I and many others (including you) have for crowded malls.  Given the choice between two similar malls, one that is extremely crowded, and another that isn't...I have a feeling that most adults would choose the less crowded one; hence my incredulity that a getting-more-crowded mall was a selling point.

But we've been over all the points by now, and I think we understand each other.   :)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 11:58:54 am »

...a Trader Joe's, and a multi-screen movie theater, all within a quarter mile.  Many people considering where to move would find that very valuable information.

Nashua was actually high on my list at one point for quick access to Trader Joe's and Chunky's!! Right now I'm am craving Trader Joe's. I was just talking to my roommate this morning about picking up some coffee and other things for me next time she goes.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2009, 12:30:23 pm »

...a Trader Joe's, and a multi-screen movie theater, all within a quarter mile.  Many people considering where to move would find that very valuable information.

Nashua was actually high on my list at one point for quick access to Trader Joe's and Chunky's!! Right now I'm am craving Trader Joe's. I was just talking to my roommate this morning about picking up some coffee and other things for me next time she goes.

I have to go to MA on Monday... I will stop at TJs on the way back.

Oh.. also I think a Chick fil A opened up in that same mall.  (you are a GA boy right?)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »

Moebius Tripp

• Kinda loopy & one-sided.
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 08:46:19 pm »

Nashua has TJ's?  That's nearly a clincher for me.  ;D
Statism is the opiate of the masses

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2009, 08:56:49 pm »

Hey Dale, that Chunkys Theatre/restaurant/bar looks great.  I had no idea a place like that existed in NH.  I read their website and had a trivial question: how do they take your order during the movie?  A place I used to work at years ago in Oregon did a similar thing, but the servers just took the orders via "soft voice."  I would imagine Chunky's has a checklist (?) menu you fill out and hand to a server and only speak unless you have some special request (softly & in your ear?)  Just curious! Thanks!
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Friday

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a browncoat!
    • Shire Liberty News
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 09:08:31 pm »

Nashua has TJ's?  That's nearly a clincher for me.  ;D
To be honest, TJ is across the state line in Mass.  But that's how condensed everything is: the mall is in NH, but the movie theater and TJ are across the border in MA.  There's also a KFC in that plaza, if you're into artery-cloggin' finger-lickin' goodness.  ;D
Shire Liberty News - spotlighting activism in New Hampshire: the frontier of freedom
http://www.shirelibertynews.com

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 09:38:33 pm »

Hey Dale, that Chunkys Theatre/restaurant/bar looks great.  I had no idea a place like that existed in NH.  I read their website and had a trivial question: how do they take your order during the movie?  A place I used to work at years ago in Oregon did a similar thing, but the servers just took the orders via "soft voice."  I would imagine Chunky's has a checklist (?) menu you fill out and hand to a server and only speak unless you have some special request (softly & in your ear?)  Just curious! Thanks!

They really just take your order the normal way. They usually squat down so as not to block views, or not too much anyway. They speak softly during the movie. Most people arrive earlier than usual and at least get their order in or even eat part of their meal before the movie starts.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 06:41:46 pm »

Just got back from TJs... the Chik fil A is NOT in that mall....But it must be somewhere close.
Next trip I will look for it.

freedomroad

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 07:19:22 pm »

http://chickfila.com/restlocator/statesearch.html
Restaurant Locations In Your Area
ADDRESS    PHONE
310 Daniel Webster Highway
Nashua, NH 03060
View Map    (603) 891-1000

Pheasant Lane Mall
http://www.chick-fil-a.com/pheasantlanemall
310 Daniel Webster Highway
Nashua, NH 03060
3.35 miles away
Drive Through Only
Send Address To: E-mail|Mobile

http://www.simon.com/mall/tenant_details.aspx?ID=789&TID=32929
Our sandwiches, salads, Cool Wraps®, Chick-fil-A Chick-n-Strips® and nuggets are made with 100% tender chicken. Side items with a delicious Chick-fil-A® twist (Waffle Potato Fries™, anyone?). Rich desserts. Even Lemonade - the real deal, freshly squeezed. Before you know it, you've got the makings of a serious craving. And the makings of a trip to your nearest Chick-fil-A.
We didn't invent the chicken, just the chicken sandwich. Offering tender chicken specialties and sandwiches.
Phone Number
(603) 891-1000

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009, 07:37:01 pm »

you have to go into the Mall.. that might be tough for me... going into a mall.

TEBON

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 08:44:13 am »

I wasn't very impressed with the Chick-A-Fillet in Florida that I went to. . . even though Consumer Reports rated them very high.  Hopefully it was just an anomaly.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 08:45:34 pm »

They really just take your order the normal way. They usually squat down so as not to block views, or not too much anyway. They speak softly during the movie. Most people arrive earlier than usual and at least get their order in or even eat part of their meal before the movie starts.

Oh wow cool!  I never considered going an hour earlier, guaranteeing your pick of seats for the movie, then having dinner ( & conversation) and a movie, and never leaving your seat!  Awesome(!)  You can bet I"ll be making plans to get there Lick-ahh-dee split!! :)
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

anything