Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappointed in FSP numbers?  (Read 16109 times)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Re: DISAPPOINTED IN FSP NUMBERS?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 10:44:04 am »

the numbers are getting fuzzy ... well the important ones ... how many people actually move
so all we have to go on are who has actually moved and are doing stuph

I am disappointed that some of the 1st 1000 didn't move when they said they would. Everything else about FSP numbers are just cool. I didn't know how many would move and how soon. The 20,000 number never meant anything to me.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:36 pm »

I'll move if I can get sweet potatoes and a plum teaching latin

Hey, I've always regretted not having a classical education.  I'll give you a sack of sweet potatoes and a basket of plums if you can teach me latin. ;)

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »

Hey, I've always regretted not having a classical education.  I'll give you a sack of sweet potatoes and a basket of plums if you can teach me latin. ;)

Quid pro quo . . .

alcamedes

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 03:55:39 pm »

always
(semper)

no seriously. if someone wants to put me up, I can teach you a shedload of dead languages, and a thing or two else.

pvincent87

Re: Disappointed in FSP numbers?
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 10:41:05 pm »

no seriously. if someone wants to put me up, I can teach you a shedload of dead languages, and a thing or two else.

I think people would be better off learning Mandarin Chinese. I think Mandarin will be the language of business within our lifetime. I could be wrong though...

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 12:32:09 pm »

The numbers, both the "Early movers" and the "signed participants" are somethign that the Free State Project Inc. uses as a metric to sucess or failure. When I think of the Free State Project, I don't think of the organization, the donations or the PR of a corporation, I think of the human beings moving for more freedom.

The move in my mind doesn't have numerical goals. I want EVERY person who loves liberty in New Hampshire until NH is bursting from the seams and liberty lovers need to move into ME, MA, and VT, declare personal secession and live as if they're NH natives. :P

Am I disappointed that the 20K number wasn't hit in 2006? Yes. Because some wise-ass ALWAYS finds that on the older FSP literature as an example of why the idea fails. Of course, that same question has opened the door to "What's happening now?" and I can de-emphasize the importance of 20K and make the imperative to act NOW that much stronger.

There are hundreds of people who've already moved. I've found that most people who care deeply about liberty want to be part of that trend, that awakening. Hearing of HUNDREDS of liberty lovers is usually enough motivation to convince people because it's MUCH LARGER than anything else they've experienced. I've found the opposite to be true. People who aren't impressed by hundreds of people uprooting their lives to work for liberty tend not to be all that impressed by the prospect of 20K doing it.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 04:34:04 pm »

The 2006 goal was, imho, far too optimistic. I think 10-15 years would have been more appropriate. (But, hey, how do you really estimate that kind of thing? No one's done this before.)

At the current two-year average sign-up rate, the Project's goal of 20,000 sign-ups would be completed around 2024. It's a rough estimate. But at about 2  sign-ups per day, it sounds about right. If we bump the daily sign-up rate to 3 signers/day it happens in 2019. If we go to 4, it's before 2016.

The fundamental obstacle is just making sure people hear of the project. When they do, the sign-ups inevitably follow. Like clockwork. Back-of-the-envelope estimates still show the number of potential signers to be rather large. Huge really, when compared to the goal of only 20,000. The future participants are out there, I tell you. Of course every partipant makes it a point to mention FSP now and again, right? ;)

Beyond our participant networking effect, we get The Messageā„¢ out by advertising in print publications, on the Intertubes, in-person soliciations at various events (usually that's done by our wonderful volunteers!), etc.

The hitch is--and it directly affects the "FSP numbers"--a lot of that stuff costs money. There's another thread on here where sjhipple was doing some Facebook advertising for FSP--and getting fantastic results too. But that advertising wasn't free of course! The actual sign-up rate is dependant on just getting a potential signer's attention for a few minutes. Unfortunately, it too often costs money to do that.

Last I estimated, it takes approximately $175 to nearly guarantee a single sign-up. (That's rough; I've heard higher and lower; don't quote me on it.) That's not what each sign-up costs. Like with the Facebook ads, some cost a whole lot less! And there are other avenues that are still untouched that are estimated to cost under $100 per signer. But, averaged out, that $175 amount very likely gets the message out to at least one person who will sign up.

Point is, right now there's over 9,000 participants! Just imagine what would happen if every one of us donated only $5 a month to achieving the Project's 20,000 sign-up goal. We'd have our 4 sign-ups per day. And I can daydream for a minute, if everyone donated $25 per month--less than the cost of dining out for two--FSP would likely have the funds necessary to complete the project in under a year!

Too optimistic? Even if all 9,000 particpants didn't donate monthly--say, only 10% of us did--the Project's 20,000 sign-up goal would be completed before 2015: almost a decade--a whole DECADE--sooner than at our current sign-up rate. I once estimated that about every additional $1 donated to FSP right now advances the completion date by about 10 minutes.

Doesn't sound like a lot? Well, it adds up very fast! Especially when you have hundreds or thousands of other liberty lovers doing the same.

The Project's 20,000 sign-up goal will be completed. It has so much volunteer support, nothing short of natural catastrophe is going to de-rail it. Right now, the question is a simple matter of, "When?" The funds we can raise almost wholly answer that question. And if anyone out there would like to see "when" happen sooner rather than later, every dollar you donate to FSP moves "when" just a little bit closer. Donations to the Free State Project can be made online at http://www.freestateproject.org/donate.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:40:32 pm by B.D. Ross »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 04:51:29 pm »

Last I estimated, it takes approximately $175 to nearly guarantee a single sign-up.

It cost me $80 with facebook.

And you're right.  Monthly donations are very helpful and lead directly to signups.

Even cooler, I recently saw an ad on facebook advertising the FSP...and I didn't have anything to do with it!!  ;D
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 05:01:02 pm »

Seth, it might be mine. I am running one but haven't had the time to analyze results or iterate beyond the first quick try.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 05:10:30 pm »

Seth, it might be mine. I am running one but haven't had the time to analyze results or iterate beyond the first quick try.

Does it link to the new FSP page (as opposed to group) on facebook?  If that's yours, who are you targeting?  What are your keywords?

This is exactly the type of thing I want to see more of!  ;D  Thanks!
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

JamesButabi

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 06:17:10 pm »

I think all of you that moved should be damn proud.  Even the numbers you have there now, with slow growth over time and persistance will achieve great results. 

alcamedes

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:03 pm »

I think people would be better off learning Mandarin Chinese. I think Mandarin will be the language of business within our lifetime. I could be wrong though...

mandarin is for oranges

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 11:26:12 pm »

I think all of you that moved should be damn proud.  Even the numbers you have there now, with slow growth over time and persistance will achieve great results. 

this!

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 03:03:59 pm »

I just noticed that the giant, long, rambling FSP newsletters don't even have a direct link for donating.

They should take one month and just make the newsletter a short and sweet solicitation for donations.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 03:11:58 pm »

I just noticed that the giant, long, rambling FSP newsletters don't even have a direct link for donating.

They should take one month and just make the newsletter a short and sweet solicitation for donations.

It's a good idea.  Send your suggestions and submissions to the newsletter editor, Daniel Arbuckle <darbuckle@freestateproject.org>.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up