Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Economics or Political Science Graduate Degree, in NH or Anywhere  (Read 4052 times)

CynLib

Hi,

I am a British Economics and Politics student. Until now I had planned on moving to NH to do my graduate degree at Dartmouth. Unfortunately, I've just learnt that Dartmouth do not in fact do a graduate degree in either of these subjects! Therefore, I need to find another university that does. Obviously, I want to live in a relatively free state/city so of the Ivy League schools I think I can cross off Harvard (Mass) and Columbia (NYC). So, how are the following locations? I'm particularly interested in gun and knife laws, places to shoot, living costs, generally how nice the area is, any other laws etc I should know about. Oh, and a low or non-existent income tax would be good, as my living cost funding will count as taxable income I believe.

Cornell - Ithaca, New York state

Brown - Providence, Rhode Island

Princeton - Princeton New Jersey

University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Yale University - New Haven, Connecticut (not sure about this one, they don't seem to fund the full cost of tuition)

That's Ivy League anyway, are there any other good universities I should consider in good locations (must not be in a hot climate or overly statist)? Chicago and George Mason are very tempting, but I don't want to live in those locations :(

Any general information on studying in the US, the application process, how realistic it is to complete a graduate degree on university funding alone (parents can't support me and I cannot legally work on a student visa, except for internships and the like) would be greatly appreciated. For instance, I've never heard of 'GRE', that places keep mentioning :S

Thanks!

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Economics or Political Science Graduate Degree, in NH or Anywhere
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:11:35 pm »

Any general information on studying in the US, the application process,

Graduate study primarily involves the consumption of beer and the secondary authorship of a thesis or dissertation.

how realistic it is to complete a graduate degree on university funding alone (parents can't support me and I cannot legally work on a student visa, except for internships and the like)

It depends on the length and substance of the coursework. It's not particularly likely, unless you have a unique set of skills, are well-recognized in your field, are of a reportably desirable minority, etc. Any financial aid package will differ from school to school. You will need to check with your candidate schools.

gadstedo70

• ghku
Economics or Political Science Graduate Degree in NH or Anywhere
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:49:28 am »

I have a friend in Avenal prison in California.  Im trying to find a correspondence course that offers a marketing degree, either an Associates 2-year or Bachelors 4-year.  I saw someone suggest Ohio university; I checked into their program and they only offer two marketing courses, and no degree in the subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything