Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about spending a summer in NH  (Read 9311 times)

iddqd138

Thinking about spending a summer in NH
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:21:55 pm »

Okay, some background first: I'm 20 years old, live in Sweden and if everything goes well, I'll have a bachelor's degree in computer science by next summer.

Anyhow, I've been thinking about moving to NH for a couple of months in the summer, just to see if I like it. I'm thinking Manchester or maybe Keene.

So, does anyone know what kind of permits I'll need to live and work in NH for a couple of months? Is it hard to get a job there? How about apartments, are they expensive or cheap?

lasse

• FSP Participant
Re: Thinking about spending a summer in NH
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:23:07 pm »

I don't think you need anything other than a tourist visa if it's under 90 days.
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

noprivacy

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:43:23 pm »

Are you a US citizen or Permanent Resident?

iddqd138

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 11:13:57 pm »

I don't think you need anything other than a tourist visa if it's under 90 days.
I looked it up and it seems like I won't be allowed to work without some different type of visa.

Are you a US citizen or Permanent Resident?
Nope.

gu3st

• FSP Participant
  • Voluntaryist
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:43 pm »

I happened to have talked to my sister the other day about visa she got as part of the student exchange program at the beginning of 2008, when she visited Florida. Her visa is R-B1 which means regular visitor (R) for pleasure (B1). So it seems that's the visa type you should be looking for.

There's also an R-B2 type which is "regular visitor for business", which is the one I'm hoping for, perhaps in 2010. Her visa is worth 5 years which is quite a bit. The way to get it is to prove to the embassy that you intend to come back to your resident country, by providing them with some sort of a written confirmation that you have something that you need to come back to in your resident country, from what I understand. You also need to prove that you're financially capable to pay for the trip.

I didn't have any personal experience with this though, yet.

noprivacy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 02:59:26 am »

The most common visa is tourist visa. It's good for 5 years, but one visit is limited to 6 months. Tourists cannot legally work. However, you may find that some Asian restaurants accept illegal workers (I'm not sure about NH, though).

There is also student visa (F-1). You may work only in campus or if it is related to your field of study, such as internship. I had a friend with F-1 visa who worked as intern as a web designer intern.

H-1B visa is for working visa, which must be sponsored by a company. It is good for 3 years (unless USCIS changes the rule). Good luck if you try to apply for H-1B visa as the quota is less than applicants. In 2008, there was 3 applicants per 1 available space. This is despite the quota increase from 2007. In 2007, the quota was met within half day.

H-2B visa is for seasonal worker. I'm not sure how it works, but you may be able to get it.

You may have to put a large amount of deposit to rent an apartment since you probably do not have credit history in the US. This deposit may be as high as 3 months deposits. Unless of course if you rent a room from someone, that may not be a problem (check Craigslist).

Lastly, if your live is threatened in Sweden because of religion, race, etc, you may apply for asylum.

Oh yeah, I forgot. If you fall in love and marry a US citizen, then he/she is your ticket to become US Permanent Residence.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:01:14 am by noprivacy »

kabo

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 02:45:04 pm »

Okay, some background first: I'm 20 years old, live in Sweden and if everything goes well, I'll have a bachelor's degree in computer science by next summer.

Anyhow, I've been thinking about moving to NH for a couple of months in the summer, just to see if I like it. I'm thinking Manchester or maybe Keene.

So, does anyone know what kind of permits I'll need to live and work in NH for a couple of months? Is it hard to get a job there? How about apartments, are they expensive or cheap?
Hi!
I'm also from Sweden, I have been thinking the same thing :)
Did you figure it out? I'm thinking about going next summer, 2010.
I have a wife and a kid though so it's a bit more complicated. But I'd love to give it a try.
Please give us your experience!

epicentre

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:31:11 pm »

Swedish citizens do NOT need a tourist visa! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up