Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interested in the loooong term  (Read 3019 times)

• Feeling like just a number lately
Interested in the loooong term
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:22:21 am »

Some of the most fun I had was working with the Students for Ron Paul at my undergrad. The group of about 12 active members and 20 or so less active members actually got Ron Paul to win our Republican primary straw poll. That was a success I am still proud of. I founded the College Libertarians on my campus, and can honestly say I'm directly responsible for a handful or so converts. The guy I passed the club off to is still keeping it strong. Romney had the second most active group of supporters and they finished a few thousand votes  behind Dr. Paul.

But my point - it just goes to show that about 3 months of concentrated work by a vocal and dedicated minority CAN achieve results. Sure my state went to McCain thanks to a last minute endorsement by my Governor (whom you might note was on the VP super-short list). Ron Paul wasn't even close. That experience gave me hope. Even though Dr. Paul finished horribly in the Florida primary, that experience keeps me going. I graduated last Spring and am getting some life experience in EMS before applying to Medical School.

My questions - I'd love to talk with someone in EMS or health care in general about New Hampshire's system. My local EMS system is considered "progressive" which means it's one of the best (and thus most expensive) in the world. A large chunk of this is made possible by gigantic Medicare payouts, and very high population and population density. I look at the population of Manchester and can't help but notice that even a "small town" around here is larger. Part of me wants to get away from urban life having lived in Florida or Ohio cities my whole life, but part of me is afraid of change. There are 15 or so hospitals within an hour drive of my house including two major trauma centers. I can't expect that to be the case in NH, so anyone that help provide some tips to adjusting will be greatly appreciated.

But all of this is subject to Dartmouth Medical accepting me... so if anyone can put in a good word for me ;)

A little bit about me:

Either way I have been following you for a few years now, and never seriously considered it until recently. I want to one day open my own clinic(s) and get involved in politics, and I'm sick and tired of being the "radical" around just about everyone I know. I'm a solid constitutionalist, but I'm also a pragmatist willing to compromise to achieve a net gain in liberty. I'm also a Christian (Disciples of Christ), and firmly believe government ought to be deist or agnostic. I'm a scientist, a theologian, a creationist (you say Big Bang, I say Genesis 1:1), an evolutionist (they aren't mutually exclusive), a gamer, a musician, a gun owner, and a professional rescuer. I'm a walking contradiction, but a libertarian at heart. I hope one day to have a home where I don't have to explain to everyone with whom I get into a political debate WHY we should get rid of the XYZ tax or WHY we shouldn't be spending millions to install signs to inform the public to buckle up or suffer fines, or WHY we shouldn't be inflating food prices with tax money only to end up donating it to tax-funded schools and selling to taxpayers even though they already paid for it twice. Maybe the FSP will be the place.

I am seriously considering moving, but as I'm sort of bound to whichever medical school accepts me my timeline is up in the air. I might sign up as a friend of the FSP and make the commitment once I have some more info.

Ciao for now

Edit: No my s/n is not my SSN - though I'm sure it belongs to someone. Just some numbers I picked out using a special formula involving dice and a phone ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 01:25:44 am by 023647251 »
I left the Democrats because I like keeping my paycheck, and found a home with the Libertarians.
I left the Libertarians because I wanted to work within a major party, so I found a home with the GOP.
Now I feel like leaving the GOP because I like the money in my paycheck to be worth something...

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Interested in the loooong term
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 12:06:09 pm »

Either way I have been following you for a few years now, and never seriously considered it until recently. I want to one day open my own clinic(s) and get involved in politics, and I'm sick and tired of being the "radical" around just about everyone I know. I'm a solid constitutionalist, but I'm also a pragmatist willing to compromise to achieve a net gain in liberty. I'm also a Christian (Disciples of Christ), and firmly believe government ought to be deist or agnostic. I'm a scientist, a theologian, a creationist (you say Big Bang, I say Genesis 1:1), an evolutionist (they aren't mutually exclusive), a gamer, a musician, a gun owner, and a professional rescuer. I'm a walking contradiction, but a libertarian at heart. I hope one day to have a home where I don't have to explain to everyone with whom I get into a political debate WHY we should get rid of the XYZ tax or WHY we shouldn't be spending millions to install signs to inform the public to buckle up or suffer fines, or WHY we shouldn't be inflating food prices with tax money only to end up donating it to tax-funded schools and selling to taxpayers even though they already paid for it twice. Maybe the FSP will be the place.

Welcome!  I know what you mean about getting tired of being the lone libertarian.  That will change fast after you move.

You'll find that there are many people like you in the project.  We have lots of people willing to compromise to achieve a net gain and we have quite a few Christians as well.  While not all FSPers meet that profile, all believe in liberty so it's very easy to make friends after you move.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:44:13 pm »

A large chunk of this is made possible by gigantic Medicare payouts, and very high population and population density. I look at the population of Manchester and can't help but notice that even a "small town" around here is larger.

That's probably true in New Hampshire as well. There are some fields today where you essentially can't avoind direct interaction with the government. I think there are SOME jobs that are directly in conflict with liberty, but I think teachers and EMS is certainly not one of them. Something else to consider is what it would take to shift away from the government-run paradigm to the free market. I know that dollar for dollar, the state of New Hampshire takes much less federal money than other states, but it's possible that within certain industries that's not true.

Just a reminder to keep "potential" in the front of your mind too. What is true today may not be true in 5 or 10 years, so you should factor those possibilities in as well.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:00:27 pm »

Welcome! ;D

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:40:24 am »

Welcome....
I agree a small group can make a huge difference.
If you end up in med school somewhere else... you can still tell people about the FSP.

We would love to have EVERY college campus that has a Ron Paul group or College Libertarian group or college anarchy group hear about the FSP.

• Feeling like just a number lately
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 02:41:52 am »

That's probably true in New Hampshire as well. There are some fields today where you essentially can't avoind direct interaction with the government. I think there are SOME jobs that are directly in conflict with liberty, but I think teachers and EMS is certainly not one of them. Something else to consider is what it would take to shift away from the government-run paradigm to the free market. I know that dollar for dollar, the state of New Hampshire takes much less federal money than other states, but it's possible that within certain industries that's not true.

I think it would be fascinating to work on a system that is purely state-controlled. I'm sure it's possible, and want to get an M.P.H. somewhere down the line and do some more research. Even with all of the money we spent and get from the Feds it still costs nearly 500 bucks for an ambulance ride. And rumor is that it's still in the red. I guess you get what you pay for. There has to be a better way out there somewhere.

Quote from: Dreepa
f you end up in med school somewhere else... you can still tell people about the FSP.

We would love to have EVERY college campus that has a Ron Paul group or College Libertarian group or college anarchy group hear about the FSP.

Amen to that! One of my best friends down here is a raging tax-and-spend Democrat - and he moved FROM New Hampshire to come to college, and has decided to stay down here. So I guess that can be considered a +1 for the FPS eh? ;)
I left the Democrats because I like keeping my paycheck, and found a home with the Libertarians.
I left the Libertarians because I wanted to work within a major party, so I found a home with the GOP.
Now I feel like leaving the GOP because I like the money in my paycheck to be worth something...

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 02:43:26 pm »

Welcome. You'll be far from radical here. Good luck with Dartmouth.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up