Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to rent in/near Keene or Manchester  (Read 8107 times)

Zero

Looking to rent in/near Keene or Manchester
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:20:47 pm »

Hi, I'm wanting to move in November and don't have a place to live.  Free Talk Live tells me Keene is the place for noncooperative types, which sounds great, and Manchester's got a hockey team, which is merely good.  I'm hoping for rent in the $300-$500 range.  Any help?

I checked out porcmanor.com and messaged a landlord about a place in Peterborough, but it's no longer available.

Thanks for your time.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Looking to rent in/near Keene or Manchester
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:56:47 am »

It's not really that great, IMO, and the winters there are ferocious. 

THe best thing about NH is that it has an area for everyont.
I never knew the winters were 'ferocious' in the Keene area... bundle up Dale!

The winters are bad in my town too..... don't come to my town.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:03:13 am »

Hi, I'm wanting to move in November and don't have a place to live.  Free Talk Live tells me Keene is the place for noncooperative types, which sounds great, and Manchester's got a hockey team, which is merely good.  I'm hoping for rent in the $300-$500 range.  Any help?

I checked out porcmanor.com and messaged a landlord about a place in Peterborough, but it's no longer available.

Thanks for your time.
In the areas away from Boston, you can rent (with a roommate or just-a-room scenerio) for $500. If you get closer, you will have to pay more. The cheapest option is in a porc manor. You should try to get to know people here and your opportunities will blossom. A visit will do wonders for that, but costs money.
Mostly freestaters are happy with any place they move to.
Keene and Manchester are very different. Keene is a small college town with one of every service. Manchester is the main thing in NH.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:46:39 am »

BTW, I know of two guys who also need a room in the immediate future in Keene so you might be able to arrange a 3 bedroom apt or something.

Zero

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 12:21:11 pm »

Wow, what a response!  Thanks all, very much.

If I'm unable to nail anything down by November, which is when I'm planning on moving, I'll just fly by the seat of my pants into Manchester, and work for the best.

Dale, I'm very interested in hooking up with the two Keene guys, if November's not too late for them.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 01:49:05 pm »

Dale, I'm very interested in hooking up with the two Keene guys, if November's not too late for them.

I think they're both looking to move the first of Oct, but maybe they can float a 3 bedroom for a month until you arrive. They don't tend to cost much more than a 2 bedroom. Would be well worth it in the long run.

Moving to Manchester first is a common tactic and not a bad idea. That's what I did. It's a good starting place with more rooms available. Then you can work out exactly where you want to live once you're there. This is assuming you don't have a lot of stuph, of course. If you're young and out of college or high school, most people just want to rent a room at first before getting too settled. I had just sold my condo and liquidated most of my big stuph so it worked out great.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:03 pm »

Basically, if you don't have a car, you're kind of limited to areas like Manchester, Seabrook, Portsmouth, or possibly Nashua.  I lived in Nashua without a car though, and that's an experience I wouldn't want to repeat.  I'd say the first three would be your best bets, in that order.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 08:27:50 pm »

Basically, if you don't have a car, you're kind of limited to areas like Manchester, Seabrook, Portsmouth, or possibly Nashua.  I lived in Nashua without a car though, and that's an experience I wouldn't want to repeat.  I'd say the first three would be your best bets, in that order.

I'd add Dover to the list.  Dover's not a bad town at all, and it's easy to get around the Central Ave corridor without a car.  Restaurants, bars, groceries, shops, all accessible on foot.  Plus, $1 bus rides to Portsmouth, Durham (UNH), and Newmarket.  For that matter, New Market is a pretty fun town to live in too.  Nice little main street if they'd ever finish up the @#%! construction.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:59:54 am »

You're right--completely forgot about Dover.  I'm not sure I like the Dover or Manch PD's, though.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:04 am »

Of the places I've lived personally, i.e. Manchester, Stratham, and now Keene, Keene has been by far the easiest place to live without a car. You can get to anything you need on foot, and really quickly on a bike or some roller-blades (my choice). It's relatively flat. Manchester was not bad either. From Porc Central, you can (and I have) walk to a decent grocery store less than a mile away. You can't get to all of Manchester easily, but then that's just because it's big. No surprise. To be fair, I lived out of town when I was on the seacoast. I've been the Portsmouth and walked around and it seems like there's a lot close by, but of course the rents and cost of homes are significantly higher than Manchester or Keene.

I drove around Seabrook, but it didn't seem foot friendly at all. It's not your typical New England town format where there is a central main street area and things radiate out from that, or if it was, I never found that part of it. It's a lot more affordable for a coastal area which is why I wanted to check it out. I have a car, after all. My roommate who had just bought a town home in Stratham said he was discouraged from living there because there were mobile homes and a nuclear power plant, but that wouldn't bother me at all. The mobile home park that I saw there seemed like one of the nicest I'd ever seen, very clean with homes that were well cared for. It didn't bother me at all. I wouldn't want a mobile home myself, but it would not have discouraged me from buying near them. It's also really close to the state line with great access to Boston, about as good as Nashua. Those were all pluses in my book. But to say it's foot-friendly compared to places like Portsmouth, Keene, or Manchester seems ridiculous. It's very suburban.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 11:41:51 am »

Hi, I'm wanting to move in November and don't have a place to live. Free Talk Live tells me Keene is the place for noncooperative types, which sounds great, and Manchester's got a hockey team, which is merely good. I'm hoping for rent in the $300-$500 range. Any help?

Thanks for your time.

More folks who are "non-cooperative" are moving to Keene, yes. But that doesn't mean they're only moving there. Manchester and the Manchester area, has a lot of great things about it and lots of Porcs have moved here. I think non-cooperation needs to be all over New Hampshire, so please don't let any one thing thats said about a city or town on the message boards disuade you.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 01:28:36 pm »

To others considering Keene, visit the 108+ reasons to move to Keene:
http://move.freekeene.com

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »

Just an update. The Liberty Compound, as we affectionately call it, is now full again. We have a roommate ready to immediately replace the one that's leaving.

The good news is that there are two people already here looking for a bigger apt to share and there are two people coming in the immediate future (Jeremy Couch and Zero) which means finding another large place with four rooms similar to the Liberty Compound could be perfect. Otherwise, finding a couple of two or three bedrooms might be good also. I am inclined to recommend a three bedroom even if you only have two people because you are likely to fill the third bedroom in no time with someone new moving to Keene. A lot of people seem to get held up simply for lack of a room to move into.

In the meantime, I think there may be a possible temporary room arrangement becoming available at Jim and Lauren's which is just a short drive from Keene. It could be a nice arrangement for someone who needs to get here and have a place to stay while they look for a longer-term arrangement. Also, I'm still actively looking at properties that could become another porc manor for Keene.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:07:57 pm by dalebert »

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 05:14:25 pm »

I think that I posted this somewhere else, but Ron Helwig's place in Deerfield is probably the best place in the state as a starting place to take a good look at the rest of the state.  He's very reasonable, and lets folks rent by the month or even the day.  He could also use the funds to keep up with the mortgage payments, which are pretty hefty on such a large property.  There's even a nice gun range set up out there, so you don't have to go driving to go out for target practice.  I think that he still charges $15 a day, which is a pretty good deal all around.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 09:02:40 pm »

Of the four people I referred to, two are living in Keene now and looking for a larger apt here and the other two are due to arrive within a month and are looking for places to stay in Keene. I just wanted to give them an update since they need to figure something out really soon, i.e. in less then a month. Zero is moving to Keene early November and Jeremy probably even sooner.

Ron's place is really nice and has some great porcs there. It's a really good starting place for those who haven't decided where in NH they want to live yet. It's very centrally located.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up