Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you want to homeschool...  (Read 7159 times)

AncapAgency

• FSP Participant
  • First 1000 Member--MOVED!
    • The Ancap Agency
Do you want to homeschool...
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:24:46 pm »

Do you want to home school your child, but are unable to do so because you have to work during the day?

I am considering offering daytime home school assistance to Porcupine families. I'm trying to determine if this is a service in which folks would be interested.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Your child spends the "school day" (to be determined based on your scheduling needs) with me, and I provide "unschooling guidance" in their educational pursuits.  I assist them in learning, and assist you in putting together the required portfolio of the student's work for you to get evaluated by a certified teacher (as per NH Home Schooling Law).

I'm thinking I can provide this service for maybe 2-4 students at a time, depending on various considerations (age of the students, scheduling issues, etc.).  I figure the parents, the student, and myself can sit down and negotiate the terms of the deal.

What I can offer:

I have a lot of experience working with children, especially teaching/tutoring gifted children.  I have worked for the past three years at a private program for "at risk" NH boys between ages 10 and 16 as Medical Officer, Climbing Instructor, Rowing Instructor, and Athletics Counselor.  At the same program, I have also taught many boys such skills as: Shelter Building, Chess, Snorkeling, Kayaking, Land Navigation/Map and Compass Skills, First Aid, etc.

I have also tutored individual students in Math, Reading, Writing, History, and Science.  I have tutored at the college level in Biology, Freshman Composition, Ancient and Medieval History, Sociology, Psychology, Philosophy, Economics, and Environmental Science.  I majored in History, Philosophy, and Classical Studies in college, and spent two years informally studying Austrian Economics at the Ludwig von Mises Institute.

I am a 10 year veteran of the US Army, and I've been a firearms instructor for about 18 years.  I have a current Wilderness First Aid and CPR/AED Certification.  I'm also a trained Mediator, and a voracious reader.

So, if you think there is even the remote possibility that you may be interested in such a service, please email me at: ancapagency@yahoo.com or call me at: Home 463.0069  or Cell 340.6654 and we can discuss the possibilities.
The Ancap Agency  http://www.ancapagency.com

Resources - Solutions - Alternatives

Mediation--Casual Labor--Security Consulting--Firearms Training--General Services

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
Re: Do you want to homeschool...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:17:02 pm »

Whoa, there, Andy Cap.  If I'd known you were so knowledjible, I'd've hired you as my sensei long ago.  It's too bad that church weekend isn't run more like an FTX--that would be fun as sh!t.  That would be a cool event for Porcfest/Octoberfest...

Just throwing out more random ideas because it's so late...
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

AncapAgency

• FSP Participant
    • The Ancap Agency
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:19:07 pm »

I may be open to setting up an FTX someday--there's a lot of planning and logistical support needed for such a thing, and I doubt there's enough interest for such a thing at this time. 

Someday, maybe...

Mediation--Casual Labor--Security Consulting--Firearms Training--General Services

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:58:34 pm »

Great idea, I hope you get enough response to make it worthwhile. I was thinking that if I had kids and was homeschooling, I would love to share the responsibility with other parents. For instance, I teach both our kids math and he teaches both our kids history. We hook up with a third who teaches all our kids science etc. Add in few real world skills and you have a valid education.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

AncapAgency

• FSP Participant
    • The Ancap Agency
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:17:01 am »

No responses yet, apart from "great idea!"

LibertyforLife

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:26 am »

I have to say the idea is interesting. I'd sign up, however the problem with me is that it bothers me to assign the task of teaching my son to someone else. A third party isn't as interested in seeing him succeed as I or my wife is and therefore, I would think, might not provide the best service to him as my wife or I can.

I admit I am not as well educated in some areas as you are and those areas would be a service I might be willing to contract with you. I would want to be able to be there with him, to not only help him learn but to also learn myself. For example you have instructed in areas that I know very little about, climbing for example.

I guess it comes down to us getting our butts to the Shire in the first place, and then take the next step in sitting down and talking to you about our needs and wants and help him plan for his future.
Live free or die!

AncapAgency

• FSP Participant
    • The Ancap Agency
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 08:16:15 am »

I understand exactly what you're saying--and I would absolutely agree.

There is that segment of the population that just aren't able to do that--because they have to work outside the home, or for whatever other reason.  That's why I would sit down with them before hand, work with them on exactly what we'd be doing, and of course welcome them to take a day and come sit in and participate w/ their children whenever they can. 

The best way to do something is not always possible--so you have to settle for second best.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything