Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colleges?  (Read 5056 times)

orion

Colleges?
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:08:42 pm »

Hey, are there any good colleges for physics/biochem/computer science in New Hampshire? I am looking for something on par or better than Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Thanks.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Colleges?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:32:04 pm »

Hey, Orion!  I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I just want to say welcome!  I'm sure others will be able to answer you on this.

Btw, where did you hear about us (*is wondering whether you were at the Ron Paul Revolution March on Saturday*)
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »

Hey, are there any good colleges for physics/biochem/computer science in New Hampshire? I am looking for something on par or better than Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Thanks.

I don't know anything about Rennsselaer PTI, so I don't know what to tell you.  UNH and Dartmouth have good engineering and science programs.  If I were you I wouldn't get so caught up in rankings and who's better or worse than whom.  Pick a program that seems good for you, and move on with your life.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:40:59 pm »

Rensselaer is a fantastic school. (I visited Rensselaer before I ended up at Rose-Hulman.) If you're following the U.S. News rankings, you're not going to find something in NH that's "on par or better" with Rensselaer. However... the rankings are absolute junk.

Rose-Hulman has now been ranked #1 in engineering for the past 9 years. Something like that; I stopped keeping track. But if I had to do it again--and I cannot stress this enough--I would not attend such an expensive, well-reputed school. The U.S. News rankings are absolutely worthless; the publisher is in the business of selling magazines. They don't care about what you want or need.

I did have an opportunity to attend a few engineering classes at Michigan State University. Comparatively, my RHIT classes were much, much more difficult than those at MSU. But it doesn't matter where you go--your school's library will carry all the same (or similar) books as every other ABET-accredited school. Everything you want to know in your field is there. Problem is--and that's kinda what college is for--finding the motivation to go learn the stuff. But that's really the beauty of a math or science program: Greene's theorem is the same at MIT as it is at Podunk State.

Do you need to pay $50,000/year to decipher those books? After years of paying students loans, the answer is a resounding "No." From what I've observed, students fall into two rough categories: those that want to associate their name with a school's reputation, and those that are able to build their reputation through their own efforts. Sometimes there's overlap. But certainly not as much as we'd like to believe.

My point? Eh, make sure you know what you want from the college first. Find a good fit. Paying for college is like getting a home mortgage--except there's no home ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:49:10 pm by B.D. Ross »

Tracer Tong

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:37 pm »

I've heard here and there that Dartmouth's computer science program is pretty heavy-duty.  I'm not sure whether that's the grad program or the undergrad, though.
Good.  We begin to operate from a position of strength.
We will start manufacturing the swords and distributing them to our allies.

orion

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 02:26:54 am »

Hey, Orion!  I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I just want to say welcome!  I'm sure others will be able to answer you on this.

Btw, where did you hear about us (*is wondering whether you were at the Ron Paul Revolution March on Saturday*)

Hey. I really did want to attend the rally, but I was forbidden from going. My parents has reservations about me traveling by myself all the way to DC from New Jersey. :p I heard about FSP from FTL.

To everyone else: Thank you for your replies. I will certainly reconsider my college options. One of the hardest decisions I need to make is my major. Through my years I've come to understand that when I have to do something (for money or a grade in school), I begin to hate it, but when I do it on my own accord I love it. I have proven this to myself with both computer science and astronomy. I love comp-sci, but I would hate to do it as a job. But hey, that's life I suppose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything