Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subway: "No homeshools allowed"  (Read 9318 times)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Subway: "No homeshools allowed"
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 05:05:11 pm »

More likely a corporate tax code problem.

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:13:01 pm »

Subway can't figure out how to make a deli sandwich correctly. Why would we expect them to be able to hold a contest correctly? Just another reason to not patronize the worst place to get a sandwich that I know of.

George

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:42:57 am »

I like mom 'n' pop sandwich shops the best. Support true entrepreneurs!

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »

Please tell me they have real delis in NH...I don't know if I could live in a land where you couldn't get a good sandwich :)

George

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:09:35 pm »

Please tell me they have real delis in NH...I don't know if I could live in a land where you couldn't get a good sandwich :)

George

Could always open one!

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

There are a few around.

As far as chains go, D'Angelos is better than Scuzway.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »

I don't think I've been to a chain-type sandwich shop since I came to NH.  Almost all restaurants in small towns are mom & pop places.  Except on the outskirts, which are filled with every chain-restaurant imaginable, and seem to be a lot busier than the independent places.   :-\

As far as deli's go, I've been to a couple good ones.  If you find yourself in the Seacoast region, check out Main Street Deli Works in Newmarket.  If you're up closer to Plymouth (western lakes region, in the neighborhood of Grafton), you'll want to try Biederman's Deli (http://www.biedermansdeli.com/).

I think it's really fun to stop in and try no-name mom & pop restaurants.  Well over half the time I end up with a ho-hum (or sometimes much worse!) meal, but it's worth it for the chance to discover that perfect little place that'll keep you coming back.

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:11:59 am »

George

Could always open one!

Trust me, if I can't find one I will certainly open one. Going to college in Indiana was torture. There wasn't a decent sandwich to be found anywhere near Purdue, much less any good Italian food. I knew all hope was lost when I had to explain to a pizza place what a calzone was, and a stromboli, etc. And it seemed the whole state had never heard of birch beer which was a real bummer.

I don't think I've been to a chain-type sandwich shop since I came to NH.  Almost all restaurants in small towns are mom & pop places.  Except on the outskirts, which are filled with every chain-restaurant imaginable, and seem to be a lot busier than the independent places.   :-\

I would be just as happy never going to another chain restaurant of any type. I love mom & pop places, but they are getting fewer and far between here. There is a hot dog place that my dad and I go to periodically just for their buttermilk. We buy it by the gallon and it is sooooo much better than the cultured buttermilk you get in the markets.

As far as Subway and this contest goes, I walked over to the local Subway here and spoke to one of the girls at the counter who didn't even know the contest existed, then the manager who was aware of the contest but just shrugged his shoulders when I informed him of the problem with it. I left him with a letter, and got the address for the owner. I also called a guy I know who opened a number of Subways in this area who agreed that how the parent company was handling this contest was moronic, but that many things they did were moronic. He said the best he could do for me was send my concerns up the line but not to expect much of a result since corporate was generally unresponsive.

George

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:51:32 am »

Trust me, if I can't find one I will certainly open one. Going to college in Indiana was torture. There wasn't a decent sandwich to be found anywhere near Purdue, much less any good Italian food. I knew all hope was lost when I had to explain to a pizza place what a calzone was, and a stromboli, etc. And it seemed the whole state had never heard of birch beer which was a real bummer.

That's just sad.   :(

If you're ever up on 125 in Barrington, stop by Calef's Country Store (http://www.calefs.com/).  It's definitely a bit of a tourist trap, but it's still a cool store.  They have a nice deli/cheese counter, and the fridges are stocked with some local NH soda -- one of which I'm sure is birch beer.

Not sure if you're going to Porc Fest or not, but if so, it's only a ~ 20 mile drive up to Moultonborough on the north side of Winnepesauke.  There you can find http://www.nhcountrystore.com/.  This place is awesome.  Again, a bit of a tourist trap, but I love it nonetheless.  They have a very old working mechanical cash register.  It has to be 100 years old.  Great store that'll have you feeling nostalgic.

And, if you're already in Moultonborough, it would be crazy not to drive another 10-15 miles up to North Sandwich to visit the http://www.sandwichcreamery.com/.  First of all, it's spectacularly beautiful in North Sandwich.  Second, you buy your ice-cream/cheese/etc. in a "self-serve" little shack attached to the creamery.  You pay on the honor system (though they do have a security camera IIRC).  Just grab the ice-cream you want from the freezer chest, drop the money in the drop box, and optionally sign the guest book.  When I went there, I didn't see a single person in all of North Sandwich -- including at the creamery.  All I saw were the cows grazing nearby, and I assumed those were the cows from whence the ice-cream originated.  :)  I've been tempted to make the trip all the way up there (2 hours from where I live) many times, but gas prices are just too unreasonable these days.

Man, sorry I've hijacked the thread so much.  Um...down with Subway!!   8)

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:32 am »

George

Could always open one!

I would be just as happy never going to another chain restaurant of any type. I love mom & pop places, but they are getting fewer and far between here. There is a hot dog place that my dad and I go to periodically just for their buttermilk. We buy it by the gallon and it is sooooo much better than the cultured buttermilk you get in the markets.

As far as Subway and this contest goes, I walked over to the local Subway here and spoke to one of the girls at the counter who didn't even know the contest existed, then the manager who was aware of the contest but just shrugged his shoulders when I informed him of the problem with it. I left him with a letter, and got the address for the owner. I also called a guy I know who opened a number of Subways in this area who agreed that how the parent company was handling this contest was moronic, but that many things they did were moronic. He said the best he could do for me was send my concerns up the line but not to expect much of a result since corporate was generally unresponsive.

George

The contest is being run by Scholastic Incorporated.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 10:25:58 am »

Yeah, theer are Delis around here. Capitol Grille in Concord even accepts liberty dollars!

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 01:05:11 pm »

The contest is being run by Scholastic Incorporated.

Yes, they are running the contest, though I was at their website and couldn't find any mention of the contest at all. I'm not sure at this point who decided to exclude the homeschoolers. I don't use Scholastic's products with my daughter, but will certainly be letting them know what I think of the rules of the contest as well.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up