Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 17 and ready to move -- but can I legally?  (Read 20353 times)

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
Re: 17 and ready to move -- but can I legally?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 03:12:21 am »

Ok Mr. Hobo across amerika...

Do your thing but stay away from the smiley face gang...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352960,00.html

-end-

Oh, and the smiley face gang reminds me of a Stallone movie "Cobra" and I won't spoil it for you other than to say that, like here IRL, some of the cops are in on it...

Go figure...

Enjoy!

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 06:52:27 am »

The Smiley Face Gang reminds me of something out of a comic book. Much like a lot of the other fear-spreading the government does nowadays.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 11:27:13 am »

I say go for it. The world isn't as dangerous a place as all the naysayers make it out to be. Most people who become victims are either masochists who enjoy victim hood as part of their identity or just plain dumb.

I left home when I was 14 and over my life have hitchhiked through 40 of the states, a large portion of Mexico and Peru. I wouldn't trade the experience for a 6 year degree.

There's a great recent movie you should see called Into The Wild.

One tip when you're thumbing it, just because someone pulls over, doesn't mean you have to get into the vehicle. If you see, smell or hear something fishy, thank them and keep walking.

Some people believe that people are basically bad because "the bible tells them so".

http://ahsoisee.wordpress.com/category/heart-of-man/

http://gracereformedbaptistchurch.net/print3a.htm

If I believed this non-sense I wouldn't go hitchhiking either because apparently everyone is out to kill and rape me. In fact, I'm not sure I'd ever leave the house. I'd probably also be really afraid of evil terrorists, drug users, people with guns and my neighbor (his heart is full of wickedness after all).

I've met 10's of thousands of people and being in sales I talk to more strangers in a week than some people do in a year. Truth is, the overwhelming majority of folks are good hearted nice people who want to help.

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 03:36:11 pm »

Most people who become victims are either masochists who enjoy victim hood as part of their identity or just plain dumb.

I'll be sure to remind sexual assault victims of that.

MercuryLime

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 11:02:33 pm »

Thanks Keyser Soce. That confirms what I have found in my (limited) experience as well. And I don't even plan on hitchhiking; I plan on walking.

If living the life of a hobo is impossibly hard, I will find out--and go home. But it's something I will find out. I've got a good sense of the pros and cons now and it's confirmed my decision. When I finish school in about three weeks, I'm outta here.  :)

I've done research on the statistics, and homeless people my age have about 10x the death rate of non-homeless. However, that rate is still less than one percent per year. I don't want to play Russian Roulette, but 60 days of homelessness is not going to increase my chance of death all that much. Additionally, most homeless die from sickness. Homocide is lower down on the list of causes of death.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 10:36:25 am »

Most people who become victims are either masochists who enjoy victim hood as part of their identity or just plain dumb.

Calling such people “dumb” might be a little harsh, but I think his point was that if you know what you’re doing, are aware of your surroundings, and know how to defend yourself, the likelihood of such things happening approaches zero.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 03:45:02 am »

Knock yourself out. Not that it will do any good.

Victim - a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonal agency.

"there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us." --Carl Sagan

The above concept negates victim hood.  If I was assaulted everyday for a year, I still wouldn't be a victim... because I refuse to be.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Malum Prohibitum

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 04:06:28 am »

Merc,

Im sure we have all been there.  I have moved across country now twice without a job waiting for me, Im doing it again this summer, and will probably do it once more before this life is over.  Nobody is recommending you dont move, but I'm going to recommend that you do it smart.  I dont know what your circumstances are, but why not just hang tight for 10 months, get a job, save up a couple or five thousand bucks and then buy a bus ticket on your 18th birthday?  Moving someplace new is always an adventure of one type or another.

Your parents may be a pain in the ass, but Im sure they love you. My suggestion is honor the mom and pops for another 300 days and then go do your thing.   If you wanna go Jack Keruac all over the place, get your assed kcked by railroad security and country cops, go ahead, but if NH is where you wanna go, you can get there much easier for a couple of hundred bucks and get about starting your life.

P.S. it just occurred to me that alot of the nerd herd gypsies (ren fairs, alt energy fairs, etc) are known to 'hire' people to help them out as they go from town to town.  If travelling the country is something you are interested in, that might be an avenue as well.     

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 06:45:48 pm »

Knock yourself out. Not that it will do any good.

Victim - a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonal agency.

"there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us." --Carl Sagan

The above concept negates victim hood.  If I was assaulted everyday for a year, I still wouldn't be a victim... because I refuse to be.

You've taken that Carl Sagan quote out of context. Completely inappropriate.

I'm not sure where you've taken your definition from. There are many definitions with varying levels of complexity. Generally, a victim is someone who has suffered something generally considered undesirable, often applied to a person harmed by a crime or fraud. Again, I'm not sure where your definition has come from. I've never heard that one's emotional state or level of intelligence bearing directly on the issue of being a victim. I think, really, we're using the word in different senses.

If you were assaulted every day for a year, you would be a victim of assault. By definition. If a random person stabbed you in the leg with a knife, you would be the victim of another crime. But just "refusing to be a victim" isn't going to make the knife go away and undo the physical act.

You might not let the event "shake you up"--deny victimhood as part of your identity. And that is a healthy thing. But you've said that most people that become victims are people that enjoy victimhood. Which sounds a bit like circular logic, where an instance of crime or fraud can easily be beyond your ability to prevent. Being a victim of something like that isn't a reflection on you as a person.

nathanmn

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008, 08:50:41 pm »

If you do go, not that I recommend it, there are a few books that you might want to check out first.
http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Gavin-Becker/dp/0440226198/ref=ed_oe_p
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Marc%20MacYoung

Here is a little online read you might find interesting:
http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm

Anyways, I would say that if you LOOK 17 or younger then you are basically setting yourself up for failure and it won't be much of a fun adventure. If you have a full beard, are built, and everyone thinks you are old enough to buy alcohol by looking at you, then maybe you could get across the country without getting picked up for being a runaway minor.

Either way you would have a better time if you saved some money and waited until you are 18. Get a part time job in retail. That will force you into being better at interacting with people, and you will have money to travel and get started in NH. Hell, whatever you do be safe.

Richie

• Citizen of Communist Maryland
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 12:46:54 am »

I'm 17 as well.  Difference is, I'll be 18 in 50-some days.

Being a "hobo" will not help your self-esteem.  It's not something to be proud of.  I'm surprised that you can toss around that word so freely, and show no shame about it through your posts.  Am I correct in assuming that your church-going parents don't abuse you?  Do they provide you with your basic necessities?  Why would you want to move from that?  You've got it easy right now - you've got everything you need, and you don't have to work for it.  I understand your eagerness to leave - in some ways, I'm in the same boat as you.  Wait it out.  Find a hobby to pass the time.  Better yet - apply for local internships or become an election judge.  There's plenty of ways to get a taste of the world without running away.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 06:04:44 am »

apply for local internships
Fantastic idea!!
You'll learn more real money-making skills in 6 months as an intern than most people do in their first 2 years of college.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 06:47:52 am »

I'm 17 as well.  Difference is, I'll be 18 in 50-some days.

Being a "hobo" will not help your self-esteem.  It's not something to be proud of.  I'm surprised that you can toss around that word so freely, and show no shame about it through your posts.

Why should a person be ashamed of that? Provided they’re not on government assistance, or trespassing on private property, or taking advantage of the kindness of strangers through some sort of deception, I see no reason to judge someone for choosing to be homeless.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008, 07:17:02 am »

I see no reason to judge someone for choosing to be homeless.
I believe it is appropriate to judge anyone who does not do their best to achieve their full potential.
The trick, of course, is that only the individual may determine what their full potential is.
Someone who self-describes as a "slacker" would appear to be celebrating lack of achievement, and that gets no truck with me.
Not that anyone on this thread has explicitly described himself using that term, though "hobo" has similar connotations to most people.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 09:08:29 am »

Maybe. I probably wouldn’t particularly respect such a person, either, but I don’t see a reason to say such a person should be “ashamed” of such behavior. While it’s a good thing, I don’t expect or require that someone constantly be doing something useful, working, &c..

I do what I enjoy, I do what I believe needs to be done, and I strive to avoid doing anything that would harm others. (All this liberty activism stuff fortunately falls under all three of those categories.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up