Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from Wisconsistan  (Read 3151 times)

WISucks

Moving from Wisconsistan
« on: March 24, 2008, 04:52:44 pm »

Hi everyone-

Great group here!  Yes, I'm tired of the Wisconsin thing (I miss Tommy), so I'm getting ready for the move to NH.  When WI raised my cigarette taxes, that broke the straw in the camel's back, and when they took over $5K in state income tax, that killed the camel.  Read below about my time away from home as to why this really raises my blood pressure. 

I've been to NH a few times, but the only city I've visited is Portsmouth, and I'm currently looking at Manchester.  I figure it's about the best place to meet other members and people in general.  Any comments?  My problem is that I don't know the different areas of town and I don't have time to visit before the move.  When I leave here in June I will be looking for a rental apartment/condo/townhouse immediately upon arriving, so any help in narrowing down the field is appreciated.  Fortunately I don't have furniture to move (everything that "needs" to come with will fit in my truck), so even a studio is fine.  Also fortunate is that I am able to keep my current job...only stipulation is a near-proximity to an airport.  As much as it pains me to rent again, this is my best option for spending time and making sure it's right before I buy (not to mention scoping out preferred areas of town).  The most painful part is the fact that I'm only around six months a year - the other six months away for work.  But, I need a place to live, and keep my vehicle while I'm away...  Are there any rentals that include some or all utilities in the rent?  My budget, with utilities, is appox $1200/mo, though the less the better.  Because of my absence, security is important, but don't take that to mean I want to live in the proverbial "old-folks" neighborhood.  Right now I drive an hour to the grocery store, sick of it, so the urban setting is important.

Finally, I have the option to purchase a new vehicle here in WI before I leave, 2008 Chev Silverado.  Sales tax (5.5%) and registration (appox $100 fee) would apply.  Is this a good deal, or am I better off buying in NH?  Since this would be immediately before I move, would NH charge fees on top of what I already paid?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: Moving from Wisconsistan
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:23:34 pm »

Hey... there are several of us here from WI. I was born in Beloit (though I don't admit that in polite company) and one of "us" originally from Madison runs the awesome site http://homelandstupidity.us

As far as where to live, a good plan is to find a place to rent in Manchester, which is quite central, then scout out the state from that base. Maybe you'll stay in Manch, maybe you'll move to a different city after a few months.

As for the car... there is no sales tax in NH, so buying might be a good idea. I forget how much registration was, I don't think it was $100, tho.

And, before you move - join the NH Liberty Alliance, so you'll be up to speed on the latest developments here. You can then hit the ground running when you arrive!
http://www.nhliberty.org/join

pinkmandy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:54:43 pm »

I read in another thread (I'm a newbie, too) that the reg taxes are very, very high on newer vehicles. Def check that out before buying.

Look forward to meeting you! We plan on arriving in 2-3 weeks.  ;D

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:55:51 pm »

Manchester sounds like your best bet to start. Check out http://porcmanor.com for renting from porcs there. I'd definitely check out Alec's Rentals where you'd be near around a dozen or so porcupines and walking distance from Murphy's Taproom and close to at least one grocery store.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:10:14 pm »

We plan on arriving in 2-3 weeks.
Then you also get the spiel:
1) http://www.nhliberty.org/join -- join before you move, so you'll be up to speed with the latest political happenings when you get here
2) http://freestateproject.org/user - then click "Edit", then "FSP Registration Information" - Once you move, be sure to update your profile to indicate your state of residence is NH, that updates the counter!

Rich Goldman

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:19:58 pm »

...and be sure to sign up for PorcFest (www.PorcFest.com) :-)
--
Rich Goldman
Head Organizer, PorcFest 2007 & 2008

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 12:14:23 am »

Registration fee(tax) is based on make, model, and year and the new retail value(depreciation scale applied as vehicle ages).  For a 2008 pick-up you'll probably be looking at several hundred dollars.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:42:17 pm »

Registration fee(tax) is based on make, model, and year and the new retail value(depreciation scale applied as vehicle ages).  For a 2008 pick-up you'll probably be looking at several hundred dollars.

About $30K car... $500 a year (and goes down every year)... rough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything