Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling laws  (Read 16832 times)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Homeschooling laws
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 05:12:27 pm »

I'm not worried about the social aspect of their lives. . .

A lot of anti-homeschooling arguments are around this specific point.. I was homeschooled and I never had any problems.

Nor do I or my wife.  We're normal, well-adjusted people.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 12:51:58 am »

A lot of anti-homeschooling arguments are around this specific point.. I was homeschooled and I never had any problems.

At one point, 30-ish years ago, there was no such thing as social interaction for children outside of official government school events. Okay, so Little League and American Legion baseball have been around forever, but other than that... homeschoolers were social hermits, even if not by choice.

In 2008, my 5 year old has never set foot in a school, reads at a 3/4 grade level, has never met a stranger, is confused by the concept of "waiting in line", has dozens of age-peer friends from t-ball, soccer, karate... the kid has a busier social schedule than I had in college. He's also not artificially restricted to relationships with other 5-6 year olds. If you don't believe me, just ask him about dinosaurs or sea creatures or insects or trains or heroes... but only if you have several hours to spare.  ;)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

In 2008, my 5 year old has never set foot in a school, reads at a 3/4 grade level...

How do you get to three-quarters of a grade? ;-)

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 12:04:51 pm »

;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:07:23 pm by John Edward Mercier »

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 06:44:29 pm »

I was not homeschooled, and let me tell you, I am pretty screwed up ....  ;)

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 10:32:18 pm »

At one point, 30-ish years ago, there was no such thing as social interaction for children outside of official government school events. Okay, so Little League and American Legion baseball have been around forever, but other than that... homeschoolers were social hermits, even if not by choice.

In 2008, my 5 year old has never set foot in a school, reads at a 3/4 grade level, has never met a stranger, is confused by the concept of "waiting in line", has dozens of age-peer friends from t-ball, soccer, karate... the kid has a busier social schedule than I had in college. He's also not artificially restricted to relationships with other 5-6 year olds. If you don't believe me, just ask him about dinosaurs or sea creatures or insects or trains or heroes... but only if you have several hours to spare.  ;)

People typically resort first to the argument that a homeschooled child wil be socially stunted to justify the indoctrination they want to administer through the government schools.  I always respond that homeschooling parents can always arrange to have a neighborhood gang come beat up the kid three or four times a month . . .

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 08:46:07 am »

LOL.
If there are other children in the local area... they will socially adjust fine.
My first day of private kindergarten was unique... I had never seen a human with brown eyes.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 05:04:01 pm »

In 2008, my 5 year old has never set foot in a school, reads at a 3/4 grade level...

How do you get to three-quarters of a grade? ;-)

Score one for Joe.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up