Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschooling laws  (Read 16648 times)

pinkmandy

Homeschooling laws
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:46:21 pm »

How is it that NH, the live free or die state, has such draconian hs laws? What is up w/that and is there a movement underway to change them? The laws disturb me.

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
Re: Homeschooling laws
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:27:01 pm »

We've got our work cut out for us. Meanwhile, it's up to you to decide whether civil disobedience is in order.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:09:17 pm »

We've got our work cut out for us. Meanwhile, it's up to you to decide whether civil disobedience is in order.

At the risk of one's children?!  I would never do such a thing with my own munchkins (if I had any).  I was self-taught in a pretty draconian state myself (Pennsylvania).  Hopefully we can improve the laws in New Hampshire.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:47:36 am »

pinkmandy

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 10:25:58 am »

Home education in New Hampshire is governed by RSA 193-A, which went into effect on July 1, 1991, and by the changes under House Bill 406 which went into effect May 12, 2006. Under this law, parents or legal guardians who wish to homeschool their child(ren) are required to: 

Contact a participating agency (in most cases, the local school superintendent or a participating private school ) of their intent to homeschool.
Keep a portfolio of the homeschooled child’s work and log of reading materials
Have an annual evaluation demonstrating educational progress commensurate with the child’s age and ability. These requirements are explained in more detail below.

So the porfolio doesn't need to be turned in? I'm not very organized. We already test each yr so that's no biggie. I saw a thread on nonpublic schools in this forum, I'll check that out for participating agencies. Is there a reason you would not use the local superintendent? Does he have the power to stop you from homeschooling? And I read you just send him the letter then your test results. Is that all there is to it?

TEBON

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »

I will figure out a way to teach my own kids.  I'm not worried about the social aspect of their lives. . . I'm very sure by the time I have children I'll have many new friends in the Free State, and with those friends, I hope to find some that are also homeschooling and that would like small social gatherings for the kids.

I just don't want my kids to be stupid, I don't want my kids to have to go through public education.  Of course, I hope by some point I would be able to enroll them into a private school. . . and hopefully the private school will take a homeschooled child. 

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 08:53:33 am »

So the porfolio doesn't need to be turned in? I'm not very organized. We already test each yr so that's no biggie. I saw a thread on nonpublic schools in this forum, I'll check that out for participating agencies. Is there a reason you would not use the local superintendent? Does he have the power to stop you from homeschooling? And I read you just send him the letter then your test results. Is that all there is to it?
Yes, it's either a portfolio or a standardized test. We use a private school for our participating agency that is very homeschool friendly. The school superintendent does not have power to stop homeschooling, but you can have issues if scores are low, there is a child welfare complaint, or any of the other nonsense that homeschool families face all over the country.

There is a NH bill that passed the Senate to increase some of the burden for those starting homeschooling - for example developing a curriculum. We will be fighting it in the House, but the Democratic sweep in 2006 will give us an uphill battle. We could really use more families that are politically active. Many of the long-time NH homeschoolers are accepting of existing rules and don't want to make a scene.

While a comparison of homeschool regulations from where we came from (Illinois) to NH would favor Illinois, there are a few factors that are much better:
  • We can network with other families that share our faith, our learning style and our belief in liberty
  • I have confidence that as more FSP members move and get active, we will improve the regulation, and more importantly the general acceptance, of homeschooling across the state
  • If we were to be unfairly targeted by a state or local agency, I have hundreds of activist friends that will support us, many of whom have no kids, but who have received our support on issues of importance to them

Please join us and help to make a better world for our children!
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 08:07:31 pm »

Boy, I never thought I would find an area where New Jersey is freer than New Hampshire!

That will be the only hard part of leaving NJ. Homeschooling laws here are virtually non-existent. There is no need to notify, you aren't obligated to keep records, there are no testing requirements, all that is said is that you have to provide an equivalent education to what is provided in school. My daughter is six and we are having a ball with teaching her so far. She is starting the equivalent of her second grade year in two weeks, though some subjects she has been doing second grade work at for a while.

Are there any regulations as far as curriculum in NH? We aren't following a formal curriculum like Calvert's, but rather putting one together as we go. Once we get up to NH, probably 2010 as of right now, I would love to get together with some of you all to help change the laws there. Heck, if NJ can be this free with homeschooling there is no reason NH can't.

In the meantime if there is anything I can contribute from here please let me know.

Thanks,

George

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 07:31:11 pm »

Boy, I never thought I would find an area where New Jersey is freer than New Hampshire!

That will be the only hard part of leaving NJ. Homeschooling laws here are virtually non-existent.

I have the same ironic situation coming from Texas. It's not going to stop me from moving, though.  ;)

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 08:16:23 pm »

There are no curriculum requirements in NH, and no "equivalent" education requirement. Lots of families unschool.

Requiring all students including homeschoolers to use the local public school curriculum would be a huge problem. The school choice movement had a recent defection by Sol Stern in this article http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_instructional_reform.html, arguing for national standards. I don't really support school choice, vouchers, or even tax credits. I'm really in the separation of school and state camp, given the different needs of the emerging future: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pMcfrLYDm2U
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 09:39:11 pm »

Equivalent education is kind of a moot point here. Since no one knows you are homeschooling, no one ever has need to check on what you are doing. I'm not going to let NH's homeschooling laws deter me from moving either. If I waited for the state to have the perfect laws for me I'd never move. Besides, a little civil disobedience is a healthy thing  ;)

NuclearDruid

• TANSTAAFL
    • The Colonization Too Project
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 09:52:49 am »

Schooling bill draws a crowd

Turnout was so high for the hearing on the bill that it was moved to Representatives Hall to accommodate the crowd of a couple of hundred, mostly mothers and children.

Positive that turnout was so high.

The state Department of Education supports the bill, said Sarah Browning, who called the requirement a way to "keep the quality of home-school parents high." She and other supporters of the bill said that they're concerned about a handful of cases in which parents who've sparred with public schools pull their children from school without a plan.

Mark Joyce, of the state's School Administrators Association, also supported the bill. He said that when school districts get notice of a curriculum plan, they can better cooperate with parents, lending resources and tools for certain lessons. /quote]

The "usual suspects" were rounded up to speak favorably about increased restrictions.

ND
"Responsibility is a unique concept. It can only reside and inhere in a single individual. You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you. You may disclaim it, but you cannot divest yourself of it." - Admiral Hyman Rickover

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 12:02:52 pm »

A firsthand account of the hearing, and NH-based pro-homeschool activism, is at:
http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=622.0

Plug: Join the NH Liberty Alliance before you move, and you'll be all the more effective when you get here!
http://www.nhliberty.org/join

NJLiberty

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 05:37:21 am »

A firsthand account of the hearing, and NH-based pro-homeschool activism, is at:
http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=622.0

Plug: Join the NH Liberty Alliance before you move, and you'll be all the more effective when you get here!
http://www.nhliberty.org/join

Thanks Denis

lessthanthree

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 05:01:03 pm »

I'm not worried about the social aspect of their lives. . .

A lot of anti-homeschooling arguments are around this specific point.. I was homeschooled and I never had any problems.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything