Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschoolers?  (Read 6572 times)

pinkmandy

Homeschoolers?
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:36:46 am »

We are non religious eclectic homeschoolers. Any tips from other homeschoolers out there like us? We have an issue in my area in VA where EVERYTHING is religion oriented- even soccer.  ::) I'm absolutely tolerant of the religious folks and like them, but since I'm moving I'd like it to be to an area with a decent amount of homeschoolers where religion isn't the focus. Any suggestions?

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
Re: Homeschoolers?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:38:31 am »

Yes: Grafton, home of the Free Town project. You'll be in company here.

pinkmandy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:25:59 pm »

I take it Grafton is a town- what region? I can't find a Grafton site or any real info on it.

Can you guys look at this site and advise me on which way to go?
http://www.homeschoolfacts.com/groups/group_states.php/Support_Groups/new-hampshire

MTPorcupine3

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 02:40:23 pm »

I take it Grafton is a town- what region? I can't find a Grafton site or any real info on it.

Grafton is between Canaan and Danbury. On a larger scale, between Lebanon and Laconia. It's in Grafton County.

pinkmandy

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 03:30:35 pm »

Where do people who live in Grafton tend to work? Do many commute to the more urban areas? How far is a typical commute?

Sorry for the questions...but thanks for helping!!! I'm wondering how far out we should look for work and where we are most likely to find it. I prefer to stay home and homeschool the kids, dh works as a lab technician here but has had experience is farming (his family is a farming family) and some construction type stuff.

MTPorcupine3

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:21:26 pm »

Where do people who live in Grafton tend to work? Do many commute to the more urban areas? How far is a typical commute?

Sorry for the questions...but thanks for helping!!! I'm wondering how far out we should look for work and where we are most likely to find it. I prefer to stay home and homeschool the kids, dh works as a lab technician here but has had experience is farming (his family is a farming family) and some construction type stuff.

The biggest population centre is Lebanon/Hanover, about 40 minutes away. Concord is more than an hour in the opposite direction. Farming is a good option here in Grafton, as well as anything you can do out of your home. There are other smaller cities/towns closer than Lebanon. Hanover (Dartmouth) is a good place to look for work as a lab technician. Stand by for contact info off line.

castle_chaser

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:26:08 am »

There are so many homeschool groups in NH and it is great that many of them are not religious. It seems like most of the homeschoolers are in southern central NH, but that is probably because most of the people are in So. NH  ;)

For starters check out -- http://www.nhhomeschooling.org/

pinkmandy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:14:12 am »

Thanks so much! I just subscribed to a Grafton hs yahoo group.  ;D

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:26 am »

I think there is also a non-religious group in the Seacoast region.

I'd also note that within the liberty movement, you will find religious homeschoolers (like us) to be extremely supportive and we could get together on liberty/sports/economics/math/Lego League/programming/etc.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

pinkmandy

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 03:40:58 pm »

I think there is also a non-religious group in the Seacoast region.

I'd also note that within the liberty movement, you will find religious homeschoolers (like us) to be extremely supportive and we could get together on liberty/sports/economics/math/Lego League/programming/etc.

That's great! I'm very tolerant of rel homeschoolers but in VA that tolerance often doesn't work the other way if you kwim. Here, we're "heathens". So I guess if I'm going to move I want my kids to be able to play sports or go to craft club w/out having to say a prayer first or I can show up without having to worry about breaking the dress code. Not that I wear fishnets or anything, but even tank tops are a no-no with some of the groups here. People can be as religious as they want, I'm fine with all of it! We just want to find a place where we "fit" without feeling like we have be on our best behaviour all the time to be "accepted".
Pages: [1]   Go Up