Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $2910 for sleep study in Boston, must be 18-30  (Read 35763 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
$2910 for sleep study in Boston, must be 18-30
« on: January 24, 2008, 03:46:50 pm »

I found this one online.  It looks to be pretty good for anyone with transportation down to Boston--especially if you're presently between jobs and in need of something to do.  This is a sleep study, and you have to give up caffeine, nicotine, etc before the study itself.  They want to see the effects of varying light levels on sleep and concentration.

>>
 Thank you very much for inquiring about the sleep research studies here at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Below is some information on a study for which you may be eligible.

To be eligible for this study, you must be aged 18 to 30 and contact me three weeks before the study begins to start the screening process.  Please read on for more information regarding the study. If, after reading about the study, you are interested in participating, please answer the questions following this description.  If you are not interested, if you could simply reply and let me know that you are not interested and if possible, where you heard about the study that would be great! Thank you again for your interest in our research studies.

Please note that you must be a US citizen or have a visa status that allows you to get paid in order to be compensated for participating in the study. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Clara Gagnon

Research Assistant

14 DAY SLEEP AND CIRCADIAN RHYTHM RESEARCH

STUDY INFORMATION FOR INTERESTED SUBJECTS

Subject Coordinator: Clara Gagnon (617) 525-8799

The purpose of this study is to evaluate how light exposure affects our biological clock: our hormones, body temperature, alertness, performance and sleep. The study is being done in order to help people sleep better and to test whether different intensities of light are effective in improving sleep quality. This is an inpatient study, so all of your time will be spent in your suite. You cannot leave the suite until the end of the 10 day period unless you decide to withdraw from the study.

The information presented here is subject to change but will always be consistent with the information provided in the research consent form available from your coordinator. Be sure to ask the coordinator for clarification of any of the information presented below and in the consent form.

1. WHAT YOU WILL DO

We are looking for healthy individuals 18-30 years old only. With this study you will have free time. You may read, do hobbies, listen to music or work on a personal project. However, be aware that your free time will be interrupted frequently with mandatory computer testing, and all activities study related will be scheduled for you. On 2 occasions, you are asked to remain awake for up to 40 hours each, while lying in bed the entire time. This is called a Constant Routine. A technician will be there to entertain you, play games, and assist you in staying awake when you need it.

2. WHAT WE MONITOR

For several weeks prior to being studied in the laboratory, your sleeping patterns will be monitored several ways. This includes a wrist activity recorder (actiwatch), which measures your activity and movement during the day and night, as well as you keeping a log of your sleep/wake times (this requires call-ins every night and morning to a voice-mail system). Once you are admitted to the hospital, we will record your sleep patterns, take blood samples, urine samples, and saliva samples. Throughout your stay here there are two video cameras in your room. They are used to help the technicians monitor your well being and to make sure that you are staying awake when you say you are. However, at no time are you being recorded on video or audiotape.

PRESTUDY SCREENING:

In order for us to determine if you are eligible for the study you will need to go through a screening process. This consists of multiple visits to my office to:

Fill in paperwork

Have a physical, an EKG and lab work (a blood and urine sample)

Meet with our psychologist for a routine assessment

Meet with an ophthalmologist to have your eyes checked

Meet with the Doctor that runs the study to discuss in-study procedures/rights of a volunteer

After these are completed (or while you are working on them) we will need you to keep a regulated 8-hour sleeping schedule for 3 weeks immediately prior to you starting the study. You will be able to pick your own 8-hours but they must stay the same over the 3 weeks. You keep track by calling into a voice-mail system every night and every morning at the times you go to sleep and the times you wake up. As the 3rd week is starting, you will be given the wrist activity recorder mentioned in the paragraph above. You admission to the study is directly related to how well you maintain (or try to maintain) this schedule.

There are no other options to these steps, except to not do the study.

RESTRICTIONS:

To be eligible for this research study, you cannot take any of the following substances for at least 3 weeks prior to the 10-day study at the BWH hospital:

1. Over-the-counter substances:

Nicotine (tobacco products of any kind)

Caffeine (frequently found in coffee, tea, soft drinks, dark and white chocolate)

Pain relievers (e.g., Aspirin, Tylenol, Advil)

Anti-histamines

Health food supplements/remedies/vitamins, (e.g., melatonin)

Poppy seeds (this can result in a false positive test for opiates)

2. Illegal drugs:

You must refrain from the use of all recreational/street drugs including marijuana, hashish, cocaine, crack, speed, amphetamines, crystal meth, ecstasy, hallucinogens (LSD, Mushrooms, Peyote, Mescaline, PCP), heroin, opiates (morphine, opium), Tranquilizers (Valium, Librium), Barbituates (Downers or Quaaludes), and Inhalants (glue, paint, laughing gas, nitrous oxide)

3. Prescription drugs:

a. Antidepressant medications (e.g., Wellbutrin, Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor)

b. Antiepileptic medications (e.g., Phentobarbital, Phenytoin, Primidone, Carbamazepine, Gabapentin, Ethosuximide, Lamotrigine, Valproic Acid or Depakote, Felbamate),

c. Anti-anxiety medications (e.g., Benzodiazepines such as Valium, Librium, Dalmane, Paxipam, Centrax, Tranxene, Ativan, Klonopin, Dormalin, ProSom, Versed, Serax, Restoril, Halcion, Xanax; Non-Benzodiazepines such as Ambien, BuSpar)

d. Antipsychotic medications (e.g., Clozapil, Risperdal, Serlect, Haldol, Thorazine), Asthma inhalers, oral steroids (e.g., DHEA, Andro, oral asthma steroids), topical steroids, anti-acne medications (Oral Retin-A, Tetracycline)

e. Sleeping pills (e.g., Benzodiazepines such as Mogadon, Remnos, Somnite, Dalmane, flurazepam, loprazolam, lormetazepan, and temazepan; non-Benzodiazepines such as Stilnoct, Zimovane, Sonata, Ambien, chlormethiazole, Heminevrin)

4. **If in doubt about a particular substance, ask before taking.

to 4 weeks)

Daily pay while in research lab: $150/day

Incentive bonus while in study: $40/day *payable only if study completed

Return Actiwatch $25/ one time

Payment upon full completion: up to $2,910

Payment is in the form of one check about 4 weeks after the study. If the entire study is not completed for any reason, subjects are paid for their participation up through their last day, but none of the $40/day completion bonus is paid. Also, there is no monetary compensation paid to any person whose blood and/or urine tests indicate use of drugs, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, non approved prescription or over the counter drugs, recreation/ street drugs, illicit drugs or any other foreign substances.

There are no lingering effects of this study, although it may take your body a day or two to adjust to its normal schedule after having been awake (as if you had jet lag).

A. Clara Gagnon

Research Assistant

Division of Sleep Medicine

Brigham and Women's Hospital

221 Longwood Ave., Suite 446

Boston, MA 02115
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
Re: $2910 for sleep study in Boston, must be 18-30
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 10:48:51 pm »

Did they mention what date the study will take place?
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 12:10:31 am »

I think that it's an ongoing study, and I think that you need to live there for the last ten days at the facility.  I forget some of the details.  Email me at abramson.albert at gmail.com and I'll forward you details.

EDIT (1/19/09): I'm not sure if this study is still running.  Anyone interested might contact Clara Gagnon (617) 525-8799, but I'm pretty sure that it would have completed by now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:03:21 pm by maxxoccupancy »
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 12:35:24 pm »

BTW, here's an example of another study posting online.  I haven't looked into this one in particular.  It actually looks like you could almost make a living doing this stuff.  If you're between jobs, this can be a pretty handy way to keep FRN's coming in.

Seeking Heathy female Athletes and non-athletes 18-21 years old

3 to 5 out patient visit
2 inpatients visits

(nothing intrusive)

up to $525 if complete all the visits.

Call Nara Mendes at 617-724-6046 or email: nmendes1@partners.org

Geheg3D

• Friendly Neighborhood Salvia Farmer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:21:55 pm »

Even if that study isn't going on anymore, it appears there are a number more like it in the Boston area. http://www.centerwatch.com/clinical-trials/listings/studylist.aspx?CatID=361
FSP mover 666  \m/
_________/\________\o/__________  AHHHHHHH!  A SHARK!

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 12:27:48 pm »

I think that it's an ongoing study, and I think that you need to live there for the last ten days at the facility.  I forget some of the details.  Email me at abramson.albert at gmail.com and I'll forward you details.

EDIT (1/19/09): I'm not sure if this study is still running.  Anyone interested might contact Clara Gagnon (617) 525-8799, but I'm pretty sure that it would have completed by now.

Okay, I'm still getting regular emails from people asking about the sleep study.  I haven't been in contact with these folks in more than a year.  I have no idea if the study is still underway.  I would strongly urge any interested parties to look at the aforementioned website.  I really don't have any new info.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:00:43 pm »

I think that this is the same one:
Desensitizaton of Circadian Responses to Light
14 Day Sleep Research Study!!! Ages 18-30.

The Division of Sleep Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital is looking for participants for a research study about how light affects sleep.

The study involves a 3 week screening process and then 14 days living in our facility.

We are looking for people who are:
-Healthy
-Non-smokers
-Aged 18-30

Receive up to $2,910.

Interested?
(617)525-8799
lightstudy@partners.org

Kate J Berkenbush
BWH - Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115
Phone: 617-525-8799
EMail: lightstudy@partners.org

There is a slightly longer one listed that pays about $4300.

Sleepstudy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:17:23 pm »

There are a bunch of similar studies:

http://sleep.med.harvard.edu/research/recruitment

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:12:07 pm »

Anyone interested in the sleep study should contact the folks who are running it.  Studies can be a good way for folks between jobs to keep FRN's coming in.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:53 pm »

Holy heck.  Some of those sleep studies pay over $9,000!  Don't even THINK about working.

They range from $800 for two days of sleepover to 39 days of sleepover.  Most pay about $2-6,000.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 04:47:36 am »

Wow, I might send my daughter to Boston.  ;D

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:17 pm »

Yeah, they had a lot of studies going on there.  Some of them actually pay pretty well.

It's hard to get porcs to go down to Mass, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up